Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #1

City: Duncan
Recommendation for Volvo Penta Mechanical Surveyor in Everett WA area.

Looking for a pre-purchase mechanical surveyor in the Everett Wash. area or that services that area. Engine type is Volvo Penta diesel.
Thanks
Frank
Frank P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
You might give Hatton Marine a call. I don't think they are a Volvo Penta authorized shop, but they did a nice job on my purchase survey. Hattonmarine.com

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
With all due respect to Mr. Dave, my experience with Hatton Marine (within the year) was NOT POSITIVE in any way. We hired them for a pre-purchase inspection of two engines and a generator.

In particular, the technician misdiagnosed an oil weep from a turbo and altogether missed two cooling system leaks. He was clearly interested in a nice boat ride, as he mentioned several times he wanted to stay underway as long as we did. He was also not agreeable to me accompanying him in the engine room until he was finished. In the end, Hatton Marine charged for more hours than the technician was on-site plus drive time, confirmed by my wife. I understand oil samples had to be shipped and a brief report was drafted, but after looking at the rather lean report the math didn't work. Working through our broker, who did all of the engagement with Hatton Marine, I asked for the time billed to be adjusted. There was nothing we could do about the poor quality of the work. I was told by the broker that Hatton Marine refused to work with the bill.

I have complete notes of Hatton Marine's failures, as I anticipated they would contact me directly to schedule repairs for the things they identified. They never contacted me. I will be happy to share my notes with anyone directly, please contact me by PM.

MER Equipment in Seattle (206-286-1817) subsequently did some great work for us - they will be my first call in Seattle. On the initial call to MER Equipment, the service manager told our broker he didn't have a technician free but HE would be right over. And he was. They earned our business and did everything professionally.

Let's end this on a positive note...my previous boat had a Volvo Penta D4-260 and a DPH-A drive. I had great experiences with Islands Marine Center on Lopez Island (360-468-3377) and Northwest Diesel Power in Bellingham (360-734-2502).

Best Wishes
Old 05-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Coastal marine Seattle. They are the local Volvo dealer. Good guys and they know good service is what pays the bills.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Sorry to hear about your experience Irene. Mine was almost the complete opposite. The mechanic was more than happy to have me chase him around, he spent all his time in the ER going over both the engine and genset very carefully. The billing matched the time.

My experience was two years ago, so maybe things have changed.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote