Old 01-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #21
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
7m max

That's why I thought 4 amp @ 24v running through what was a 20 metre 10 amp @ 240v cable should be fine.
What's the gauge of the wire. We can calculate the V drop with that. My concern is that your cable might only be 16ga. If so it is definitely to small.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:25 AM   #22
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
According to this 1mm2

Quote:
. 3 x 1.0mm² flexible heavy duty cable
https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-hand...-lead_p4332572

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I don't have a charger on my genet battery. Others have posted they don't either.

One might argue that if you aren't running the genset enough to keep the battery charge, you aren't doing the genset any favors.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #24
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I don't have a charger on my genet battery. Others have posted they don't either.

One might argue that if you aren't running the genset enough to keep the battery charge, you aren't doing the genset any favors.
I took our genset battery off of a charger, too. It was originally on the main 3-bank charger, but that meant we had two large banks and the (relatively) tiny genset battery... so a mis-match in bank size...

And then we recently installed an inverter/charger on one of the large banks...

So I just decided to devote all the amps from the original charger to one bank, all the amps from the inverter/charger to one large bank, and the genset battery can fend for itself.

We DO have an alternator on the genset, so that battery gets charged while the unit is running. And we're out and running often enough. Also, we had already made that a Grp 34 AGM battery, so self-discharge isn't much of a problem. And then I'm also intending to get a set of short jumper cables, just in case.

-Chris
Old 01-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #25
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Ooops...sorry, should have mentioned the genset alternator requirement

Thank you Chris!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #26
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
The little Guest brand charger mentioned by SteveH above has worked well for me for years and years and may be all you need. Don't be fooled into getting a $9. copy at Harbor Freight, they are not the same. One person I know boiled his batteries away, and another burned his garage down with one.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-Pack View Post
I would like to keep the genset starting battery charged. Can anyone recommend a simple trickle charger that I can plug into AC when in slip so that my battery stats topped off? I have an outlet within 4 feet.

Suggestions?
What is keeping your main bank charged at the dock or is the main bank 24V, 32V, 36V etc.?

If you have an outlet/AC nearby I would suggest a good quality dry-mount charger with external temp sensor such as the Sterling ProCharge Ultra 10A. They are really not that much more expensive than some over priced "maintainers"..

If your other on-board batteries are 12V then a simple Echo Charger or ACR would work fine.

A "safe" float or maintenance charger is one that would have the exact float voltage setting your battery requires or that features a user programmable setting. Most are one-size fits all over-priced snake oil & some can actually be bad for your batteries..

A good float or maintenance charger would also revert to a gassing voltage (absorption) periodically, for flooded batteries, to prevent electrolyte stratification. Pulse charging can also work okay, if properly implemented, though it rarely limits electrolyte stratification. Avoid pulse-type maintainers if you have any parasitic loads that can trigger continual or frequently repeating absorption cycles.

Float or maintenance chargers are often misidentified as "trickle chargers" but trickle chargers, historically speaking, are constant current devices not constant voltage. Lifeline battery for example specifically prohibits the use of "trickle chargers"... Be sure what you are buying is not a "constant current" trickle charger.

"Trickle Charging:
Method of charging in which the battery is either continuously or intermittently connected to a constant current charging source to maintain the battery in a fully charged condition. Not recommended for use with Lifeline® AGM batteries."

A good safe unit would also have on-battery temp compensation not "near battery ambient " temp compensation, especially in an engine room. It would also have a zero or very near zero parasitic current for when power is lost and also have extremely low ripple. It would also pass UL 1236 & the UL 1236 "Marine Supplement".

The prices of some of these glorified snake-oil maintainers are absolutely offensive. Over $100.00 for .75A to 1.5A charger...?? Really?

If someone finds a quality float/maintenance charger please let me know. I have never seen one but I have seen a lot of BS marketing to make them appear great......
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #28
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Don't be fooled into getting a $9. copy at Harbor Freight, they are not the same. One person I know boiled his batteries away, and another burned his garage down with one.
I know a number of folks who have murdered batteries with the HFT maintainers.

One HFT maintainer I tested had a 0.048A draw when unplugged but still connected to the battery. When you consider that most boat yards do not allow on-the-hard charging, while in storage, it becomes easy to see how his expensive start battery was ruined when the boat yard unplugged his vessel per the contract rules.

0.048A X 24 = -1.152Ah each day

-1.152 X 7 = -8.06Ah's per week....

In the winter battery capacity becomes effectively smaller. He had left his $400.00 Odyssey TPPL AGM starting battery on-board so when he went to the boat he would have lights...

Long and short, he did not visit the boat from mid November until mid March or about 17 weeks for long enough to even come close to restoring the capacity the charger ate through while it was unplugged...........

17 X 8.06 = -137 Ah's.....

$400.00 gone........

The absolute safest practice for winter storage (in climates below 60F) is to charge to 100% SOC, equalize if suitable for your batteries, then 100% disconnect them from the vessel and each other.
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
For full time operation you need a charger that will operate in "float" mode.

That can either be a smart charger that will switch to float mode, or a charger that operates in float mode only.

"Float" mode is where the charger maintains a specific voltage known as a "float" voltage.

The best charger on the market for this has been the Charles Industries CI series available in as small as a 5 amp capacity. These are super reliable. I have used literally hundreds of these on generator installations and they work forever.

The only challenge is finding one. Charles Industries unfortunately recently left the marine/industrial market.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #30
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Try a Xantrex echo charger. It will allow your ship's batteries to maintain your generator battery. It is a product designed and engineered for the marine industry andit works very well. Battery Chargers | Auxiliary Battery Charger | Xantrex
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #31

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Model: Willard 47' Dover Trawler
Pulsatech is the ticket

I have been using these for years:

XC100-P Xtreme Charge 12V Battery Maintenance Charger Desulfator

They work like a charm and keep start batteries very happy.

SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote