Old 03-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #21
Guru

City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
You're in FL, they are in CA. They know you are not going to spend $20K to litigate. Chalk this one up to experience and enjoy the new engine.
Curious perspective. The San Bernardino County Small Claims Division filing fee for matters from $1500.01 - $5000.00 is $50. And, my job is presently remote.

gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #22
Guru

Well, for the curious, they refused to return my old engine.

Essentially they said that they subtract 90% of the new part value for any core part that, in their judgement, isn't rebuildable. And, since the crank and block are unattainable new from Perkins, they subtract 90% of their astronomical value from the $4000 core deposit, leaving me with nothing and them with everything.

As much as I got out of them was that they'd return the two bad parts (but not the good ones). They said that, even if they were judged good by others, they would still not return any money or the rest of the parts, since they, and only they, judge the parts for the purpose of the core deposit.

They failed to even address that, had I not sent the engine, they'd have the $4000 and no claim to the engine and I'd have the engine and no claim to the $4000.

As of now, they have been unable to provide any agreement, contract, instrument, published policy, industry guidelines or best practice, or other evidence that this scheme was, or should have been, or even could have been, known or knowable by me in advance or was agreed by me.

I'll let y'all know how the story ends after it is adjudicated.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Curious perspective. The San Bernardino County Small Claims Division filing fee for matters from $1500.01 - $5000.00 is $50. And, my job is presently remote.
Even if you prevail, collecting on the judgment is an entirely separate matter. But good luck with your claim.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:41 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Even if you prevail, collecting on the judgment is an entirely separate matter. But good luck with your claim.
I'd rather give the Right Thing the chance to happen in the end than not. In this case, that means having faith in the process, even if it isn't an instantaneous one.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Well, for the curious, they refused to return my old engine.

Essentially they said that they subtract 90% of the new part value for any core part that, in their judgement, isn't rebuildable. And, since the crank and block are unattainable new from Perkins, they subtract 90% of their astronomical value from the $4000 core deposit, leaving me with nothing and them with everything.

As much as I got out of them was that they'd return the two bad parts (but not the good ones). They said that, even if they were judged good by others, they would still not return any money or the rest of the parts, since they, and only they, judge the parts for the purpose of the core deposit.

They failed to even address that, had I not sent the engine, they'd have the $4000 and no claim to the engine and I'd have the engine and no claim to the $4000.

As of now, they have been unable to provide any agreement, contract, instrument, published policy, industry guidelines or best practice, or other evidence that this scheme was, or should have been, or even could have been, known or knowable by me in advance or was agreed by me.

I'll let y'all know how the story ends after it is adjudicated.

Regardless of where else you end up going with this, I would appreciate it if you could let us know who the company is so we can avoid doing business with them. Please PM me if you don't feel comfortable putting it out on the forum. Thanks. Scot K.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:16 PM   #26
Guru

Hey Scott,

I'll PM you with both their most recent email to me explaining their view of this craziness, which contains their full identity and contact info.

I usually don't post negative things in identifiable ways on forums, because I'd hate to be judged by my worst decisions and forum posts last forever and are searchable, but unlike reviews, don't always consolidate trends and as many points of view, i.e.positive ones.

When you see the email, to help make sense of it, the engine I sent back has the same injector pump and hard lines that they sent me, I kept mine because they sent me a mechanically governed one instead of a hydraulically governed one. By prior agreement, I also sent back exactly the same oil pan they sent me and the same brand-new intake and exhaust manifold they sent me, as the way they had it on the shelf was configured for a different application, so I kept my old parts so they got back the configuration they sent, meaning a bunch of parts ai sent back were never even used.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Got the info and think you've got a valid plan going forward. Please consider letting the forum know how it works our for you. Best of luck going forward!
Old 03-06-2021, 09:21 PM   #28
Guru

Hi Scot,

Will do. We're obviously in the slow moving phase with a lot of latency now. But, when there is a final resolution, I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Cheers!
-Greg
Old 03-07-2021, 07:15 AM   #29
FF
Guru

On returning the core did their contract specify weather JUST the block was required , or was required complete with all the operating goodies like injector pump?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vessel Name: Knotty Dreams
Vessel Model: Jefferson Sundeck 42
wow too bad I just sold one of two TU 6.354, both were working I took one apart to bare block for parts and sold the other for $ 1500 cnd to a buddy of mine , I Have a block for free if you need it

slymeso44 is offline   Reply With Quote