Raw water pump dripping water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
It’s About Time
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 450 Classico
A couple of days ago I noticed a new rust-colored spot on the diaper under my port main engine (Cat 3116). Traced it to the raw water pump which had a couple of rusty streaks from the slots in the pump housing. No water drips with engine off, nor at idle speed. Today I checked it while underway at cruise speed and it drips once every 6-8 seconds. Looking for input as to how big a problem this is and how urgently it needs to be fixed. I’m cruising away from home and it would be a lot easier to take care of in a couple of weeks if it’s not unreasonable to wait that long.
Thanks.

Sevo,
Me: I'd slack off the drive belt and rotate/wiggle the shaft to check if the bearings feel smooth or rough. If rough I'd be looking for a pump kit sent to next harbor.

One other thing I learned is the ball bearings may not be part of a rebuild kit, get them separately. Go figure.

the seal is worn and requires replacement. The bearings also could be bad and in need of replacement. You need some tools to install the seals and bearings which do no come with the kits. I made tools on my lathe that would fit over the shaft and would allow using a hammer to tap in the seal and the bearings. Better would be a pressure with similar tools.

You should be able to run for a number of hours with out problems other than the leakage but remove the drive belt and check for play in the pulley/shaft. Best would be to replace or have someone rebuild.

A couple of days ago I noticed a new rust-colored spot on the diaper under my port main engine (Cat 3116). Traced it to the raw water pump which had a couple of rusty streaks from the slots in the pump housing. No water drips with engine off, nor at idle speed. Today I checked it while underway at cruise speed and it drips once every 6-8 seconds. Looking for input as to how big a problem this is and how urgently it needs to be fixed. I’m cruising away from home and it would be a lot easier to take care of in a couple of weeks if it’s not unreasonable to wait that long.
Thanks.

I had that on my Volvo TAMD41. Check your oil for water getting past the seal. If that is occurring, you will need to get it replaced immediately. If your seal isn't leaking into the sump, not so urgent.

Thanks to all

It’s geared, not belt driven, so no way to check shaft looseness without removing pump. No water in oil, so good there.
Think I’ll order a new pump and have shipped to one of my next couple of ports of call. Then I can have the old one rebuilt to carry as a spare.
Thanks again.

That’s a clear indication a seal is going. They go pretty fast. Another four hours of operation and it will be a constant drip. After another 48 hours of operation it will look like a fire hose.

Deal with it now before it shoots salt water all over the engine room and turns your engine into a rust bucket.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom