Old 07-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
Racor Model 900 Filter Change

I would like to change the filters on my racor model 900. This is my first time doing this. Instead of the T handle I have pressure gauge. Do I remove pressure gauge to get to filter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6FEBD68B-A898-4199-89F5-8DBB16582CFE.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	104483  

larman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by larman View Post
I would like to change the filters on my racor model 900. This is my first time doing this. Instead of the T handle I have pressure gauge. Do I remove pressure gauge to get to filter?
Yes, the gauge takes the place of the T handle.

Use a wrench on the hex portion of the gauge. do not turn using the gauge head.

Make sure to shut off the fuel going to the Racor. You might have to drain a little fuel out of the filter so that the fuel doesn't spill out when the lid is removed. After the new element is in, top up the fuel in the Racor and open the valve previously shut.

A lot depends on the orientation of the Racor to the level of fuel in the tank. On some installations, just turning the fuel valve open after element change will fill the Racor.

syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #3

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
Thank you
larman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Racor sells a gauge now with the T handle built in so you donít need a wrench to get the gauge off. Mine will gravity fill after I open the shutoff. Good luck.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I feel it's a good idea to drain a good deal of the fuel from the bowl regardless to get any gunk (which includes any water) off the bottom so it doesn't accumulate. Primer pumps are the cat's meow for refilling them, otherwise a small, say 2 gallon fuel canister of diesel. Mine were above the centerline molded in fuel tanks so no gravity feed. Typically there is a small valve inline right before the filter. Remember replace the O Ring for the gauge stem, as well as the one for the filter top, and lubricating them with some fuel. They should come packed with the new filter.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Racor sells a gauge now with the T handle built in so you don’t need a wrench to get the gauge off. Mine will gravity fill after I open the shutoff. Good luck.
I bought a pair of those gauges with the T handle.

I ended up taking the gauges off the long nuts on the old style gauge and installing them on the T nuts. There was something about the gauges that come with the T nuts that I didn't like. I don't recall the issue.

The new style T handles is a lot easier to loosen and tighten without a wrench.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
Guru

I donít drain mine since I can easily see exactly what is in the bowl because I put an LED light behind the bowl. Now it is simple to see what is in the bowl. I added the builtin Racor primer pump so it is simple to fill both the Racor and the on engine secondaries. Also added a Water In Fuel (WIF) sensor and a metal shutoff valve rather than the plastic plug in the bottom of the bowl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CDB4B7F-6D35-4E92-A504-50FABAED04F9.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	104489  
Old 07-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
Guru

The Racor priming pump is the black thing above the bowl in my photo. It is pretty easy to add. You replace the short bolts and add the long bolts seen in the photo. It adds about 3Ē in height to the Racor. But it is beautiful when you go to prime the secondaries especially. Now I push the button switch for the pump and in a couple of seconds fuel is coming out the bleed screws on the secondaries. It used to take about 75 pumps on the fuel pump at the bottom of the engine to get the secondaries primed.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I use a fuel additive in my tanks to kill the bugs. I change my filters once a year.

I pull the filter out and drain the filter housing. I remove the drain plug on the bottom. Then I flush fresh fuel from the top to wash out the dead bugs (these are not really bugs, but common terminology). Then I take the "fat end" of a plastic wire tie and scrap the bottom of the bowl. I then again flush fresh fuel to wash it all out. Keep doing this until clean. Reinstall valve ass'y. Install new filter. Fill housing with fresh fuel until full, then install top.

On my system there is no need to pump or prime the system.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
Arc

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
It’s a good idea to completely drain the canister. When you lift up the filter lots of crap becomes dislodged. Now it’s floating around and can easily get into the ports on the stem. Then right to the engine.
I drain all fuel , pull filter, clean with new fuel , install new filter and then top off.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
Guru

Ok, on our current boat we have never had any debris whatsoever in the filter. So I guess that either my tanks are clean or the crap is solidly packed in the tanks...
Old 07-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Ok, on our current boat we have never had any debris whatsoever in the filter. So I guess that either my tanks are clean or the crap is solidly packed in the tanks...
You will know the answer if you get into some good beam seas.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #13
Guru

Been there and done that.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #14
Guru

Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Comodave, Iím really curious about that pump on your filters.... My fillers are just high enough in the system that they wonít completely gravity fill even when my fuel tanks are full.

Iíve considered adding a squeeze bulb to the system alla Tony Athens.

I also really like your LED light idea.

My bowls are really clean. A few years ago I stripped down both filters and gave them a good cleaning. At that point they had been uses for 7 years without that ever being done. They were pretty clean.

One tip that I got from TF was to change my primary filters first, then run the engine a bit, and then change the secondary filter. Any debri kicked loose when changing the primary filter is caught by the secondary and then changed.

I installed a stop-cock on the bottom of the filters as they werenít there when I bought the boat. It makes sampling the fuel to check for debri or water easy.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #15
Guru

So far I really love the Racor priming pump. I like that it doesnít take up much space. I donít have room to fit a stand-alone pump. I had 900FG filters on the boat when I bought it. Found 2 900MAs new and for sale on ebay for a really good price. So last winter when I had the port engine out I added the pump to the new MA filter along with the WIF and metal drain valve. Next winter when I have the starboard engine out I will put the new MA on that side along with the pump.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Scappoose, OR
Vessel Name: Double-Wide
Vessel Model: 49ft Custom Power Catamaran
Dave,

I would like to know if the stop-cocks you found were stainless. I would love to have them on my 4 Racor filters. It is not clear from your post, but I would like to point out that the primary filter of any power system is the one on the engine itself and it has the smallest openings. Secondary filters are installed upstream to remove larger particles to ease the burden on the primary filter.

Bill
Double-Wide
wfleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:25 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfleenor View Post
Dave,

I would like to know if the stop-cocks you found were stainless. I would love to have them on my 4 Racor filters. It is not clear from your post, but I would like to point out that the primary filter of any power system is the one on the engine itself and it has the smallest openings. Secondary filters are installed upstream to remove larger particles to ease the burden on the primary filter.

Bill
Double-Wide
The shutout valves are Racor part #RK19492. The tag on the bag say they are brass.

As to primary and secondary filters. The first filter in the fuel path is the primary and the filters on the engine are the secondary filter. The primary filter is there to catch the majority of crap and the secondaries do the fine filtration.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #18
Guru

Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Dave,

Bill
Double-Wide

Yeah Bill,

The valves are brass.

My understanding has always been that the first filter in the flow is the primary, and the next is the secondary.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:53 AM   #19
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
The Racor priming pump is the black thing above the bowl in my photo. It is pretty easy to add. You replace the short bolts and add the long bolts seen in the photo. It adds about 3Ē in height to the Racor. But it is beautiful when you go to prime the secondaries especially. Now I push the button switch for the pump and in a couple of seconds fuel is coming out the bleed screws on the secondaries. It used to take about 75 pumps on the fuel pump at the bottom of the engine to get the secondaries primed.

Can't make it out in the pic... is it electric?

-Chris
Old 07-04-2020, 06:54 AM   #20
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
It is not clear from your post, but I would like to point out that the primary filter of any power system is the one on the engine itself and it has the smallest openings. Secondary filters are installed upstream to remove larger particles to ease the burden on the primary filter.

Other way around. Primary is first in line, secondary is second in line...

-Chris