Racor Issues........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
" OTTER "
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Has anybody else had any issue like this?
I bought a "new old stock" racor 900fg filter in the spring to add to the new fuel manifold setup I built for Volunteer. I ran the boat for 4 hours at normal cruise on the new filter the first time the engine came to a abrupt halt, I suspected fuel line collapse as the culprit and replaced the 18" fuel hose with copper line, the second time it quit was a bit hairier as I was 1/2 mile off a lee shore on the Washington coast with a 10' swell ( boy the second racor to switch two ... the original one was a comfort when the boat started immediately) On dis-assembly I found the aluminum ball that acts as a check valve had stuck in the closed position. I thought the upper washer was inverted and was the culprit. Last weekend I switched over to the " new " racor again and ran while at anchor for three days on the new filter with no issue. When we departed the anchorage the boat warmed up* for about 5 minutes before pulling the hook. about the same time the anchor came over the bow the engine quit again. when I switched to the main racor there was a considerable amount of vacuum built up by the fuel pump sucking against the closed off racor. I have not ever had any issues on the previous boats we have owned with racors.Has anybody else had any issues of or ideas on the culprit???
HOLLYWOOD

Some time ago Racor "improved" their filter holders*by installing a check valve inside the tube*to avoid backflow when changing filter elements. Filter elements were also redesigned accordingly so they reopen the check valve when they are pushed all the way down.
The new elements will fit both new and old filter holders. Old elements on the other hand should not be installed on new holders as they will not open the check valve. The check valve will stay closed keeping the fuel flow blocked.
Are you using your old stock of filter elements on a new filter housing?

That was only on the Racor 500's, not the 900's. Never heard of this problem before. I hate to ask... is it installed backwards?

Keith wrote:

That was only on the Racor 500's, not the 900's. Never heard of this problem before. I hate to ask... is it installed backwards?

Damn... that would be embarrassing!........ I will have to check.. I for one never rule out my own stupidity regarding mechanical issues.* I wouldn't think it would of ran for a number of hours at cruise if it was installed backwards.. but I guess it could... but it would be a really sorry check valve if it did.* The filters are Brand new stock so that is not it. I will be back on the boat on the 17th to start the trip down the Columbia so I will look then... thanks for reminding me to check the obvious
HOLLYWOOD

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 8th of September 2010 01:41:52 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom