Old 09-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #1

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Californian 45
Race the engine for 5 mins. Does anyone do this?

I've heard diesel engines like heat. I understand. We're traveling the loop and drive 4 to 6 hours at around 1800 rpms. Some say you gotta run the engine up to 80 percent for about an hour to burn out the carbon. I try to comply. Usually with 30 mins or so to go ill run the engine up to 2600 or 2700 rpm. Max is 3400. This makes a huge wake and burns tons of fuel. This makes no one happy. BTW boat is a MS400 and single engine is a Yanmar 6lya-stp 370hp.
Now I read in the manual the you should race the engine up and down for 5 min before shutting down. This is copied from a Yanmar manual.

When operating the engine at low speed for long periods of time, race the engine once every 2 hours.

How to Race the Engine
Repeat a cycle of high speed and low speed operation about 5 times at no load with

the clutch (marine gear) in Neutral position.

Engine racing removes carbon deposits from the cylinder and the tip of the fuel

injection valve.

If racing is neglected, the exhaust color may worsen and performance may drop.

3.3.5 Stopping the Engine

Stop the engine according to the following procedures:

1) Shift the remote control leve to low engine speed and handle to Neutral position to stop the

boat.

2) Be sure to race the engine before stopping. (See 3.3.4-(7).)

3) Operate the engine at low speed (approx. 1000rpm) for about 5 minutes to decrease the

engine temperature.

Okay, anyone do this? I've never heard boats racing their engine after pulling into a slip.
Also, it doesn't say how many rpms for how long.
Thoughts?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200915-180250_Drive.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	107869
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I run it up just long enough to burn off the oil, when it quits smoking I drop back down to my normal rpm's. I troll for salmon a lot, at very low rpm's, so once every couple of hours I drop it out of gear and run up the rpm's to burn it off.

I understand that the newer common rail engines don't require this... watching the thread!
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I have been told, Cummins 380QSB, never run WOT for more than an hour.
Never heard of racing the engine..... unloaded. If you are tied to the dock, put it in gear and stretch the dock lines WINK
Old 09-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I have been a believer than running up under load is better for an engine that unloaded but I'm no expert by any means.
I cringe when anyone runs an auto, truck outboard or inboard up to high rpm sitting still. I'm a believer in not idling long, start up, get underway and increase rpm as temp increases.
After running at 1800 rpms I do try to run our Yanmar 6LYA up to 2700 - 2800 rpm periodically even if for 15-20 mins.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Personally I would just do what the owners manual says to do. They built the engine so they should be the experts on the engine.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
OK, I'm not an expert..BUT.. I don't like that/those ideas.

Did you read it in the manual for yourself or is it just hearsay?

I don't believe these things until I see them for myself.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This takes Yanmar down a notch if not several.
Running WOT in neutral for a few seconds checks the limit governor and perhaps other things but it should only be done once a year or when needed per mechanic or similar.

Running WOT in gear checks many things and after running for a minute or so no problems and good performance is a good safety procedure. Engine should be completely warmed up and inspected thoroughly before the test. It is a test.

Beyond that proper warm-up should be performed and the engine run between 40-45% load and about 75% load. One should stay within that range.

Racing is a bad word to use by an engine manufacturer telling owners how to run their engines. And racing a trawler should not be done ever. But it wouldn’t hurt a good engine for a minute or so.

“Racing” ???

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
I've read the same. It makes me wary, but I comply. Once we tie up, I de-clutch, and"goose" it once, quickly, to 2500-3500 (wot on our yanmar 4jh3-tes is 3800). Then it idles for 5 mins, then shut down.

I don't feel great about it. They do smoke on startup and I think it's oil puked into the turbo during the shutdown procedure, but I can't prove it.

I refuse to do a turbo wash, per the yanmar manual. That just seems like insanity.

Previously of "In Sanity" fame. A 40' Mainship from 1981.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I run it up just long enough to burn off the oil, when it quits smoking I drop back down to my normal rpm's. I troll for salmon a lot, at very low rpm's, so once every couple of hours I drop it out of gear and run up the rpm's to burn it off.

I understand that the newer common rail engines don't require this... watching the thread!
When you rev it up? WOT? How long? 1 min? 5 min?
Old 09-15-2020, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I have been a believer than running up under load is better for an engine that unloaded but I'm no expert by any means.
I cringe when anyone runs an auto, truck outboard or inboard up to high rpm sitting still. I'm a believer in not idling long, start up, get underway and increase rpm as temp increases.
After running at 1800 rpms I do try to run our Yanmar 6LYA up to 2700 - 2800 rpm periodically even if for 15-20 mins.
Me too. Thats what I try to do. Never heard of racing engine in neutral but that's what manual says.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
OK, I'm not an expert..BUT.. I don't like that/those ideas.

Did you read it in the manual for yourself or is it just hearsay?

I don't believe these things until I see them for myself.

pete
That's why I put the pic of manual. Here's the page. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200915-205322_Drive.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	107877
Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
This takes Yanmar down a notch if not several.
Running WOT in neutral for a few seconds checks the limit governor and perhaps other things but it should only be done once a year or when needed per mechanic or similar.

Running WOT in gear checks many things and after running for a minute or so no problems and good performance is a good safety procedure. Engine should be completely warmed up and inspected thoroughly before the test. It is a test.

Beyond that proper warm-up should be performed and the engine run between 40-45% load and about 75% load. One should stay within that range.

Racing is a bad word to use by an engine manufacturer telling owners how to run their engines. And racing a trawler should not be done ever. But it wouldn’t hurt a good engine for a minute or so.

“Racing” ???
Um?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200915-205322_Drive.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	107878
Old 09-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #13

Gabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe n Em View Post
I've read the same. It makes me wary, but I comply. Once we tie up, I de-clutch, and"goose" it once, quickly, to 2500-3500 (wot on our yanmar 4jh3-tes is 3800). Then it idles for 5 mins, then shut down.

I don't feel great about it. They do smoke on startup and I think it's oil puked into the turbo during the shutdown procedure, but I can't prove it.

I refuse to do a turbo wash, per the yanmar manual. That just seems like insanity.
I hear you but it says up and down for 5 mins. How long up? and down? is my question. 5 mins reving an engine up and down sounds crazy. Japanese to English? Lost in translation?
Old 09-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmcsurf1 View Post
GabeI hear you but it says up and down for 5 mins. How long up? and down? is my question. 5 mins reving an engine up and down sounds crazy. Japanese to English? Lost in translation?
To be fair- Thats not what it says.
Rev up / down 5 TIMES
Then run at 1,000 rpm for 5 MINUTES to cool engine
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
To be fair- Thats not what it says.
Rev up / down 5 TIMES
Then run at 1,000 rpm for 5 MINUTES to cool engine
You are correct. My bad. 5 times not 5 mins.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #16
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Hopefully our friend Ski will chime in

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #17
Guru

City: US PNW
After reading the manual page here is what I think. However note I'm not a mechanic so just amateur thoughts.

They say NOT to shut down after a long/high speed run (i.e. no cool down).

What I have read here before, which makes sense to me, is that most of us will have run up to speed at some point during the day, but then do run at a reasonable length of time at low speed with almost no load (coming in to the marina or anchorage, maneuvering, etc.). That seems like it would take care of the "don't shut down immediately after high speed."

So that leaves the brief "race" before cool down and shutting off, which is your original question. They say it's to remove carbon deposits. So, if you had made a high speed run earlier, are there any to remove? Is this only for people who have trolled all day with no speed run?

It sounds analogous to that quick "rev" that people of my parents' generation always did to their cars before shutting them off. You know, put it in Park, hit the accelerator and a quick "vrooom!" and then shut it off. Those were gas engines, but was there some basis for it?

I guess at the end of this post, I have the same question as you. Is there a benefit to these quick "vrooms"? Do they need to be done if you had already run at high speed during that day (but then idled into the marina or anchorage). Is it a good idea, a neutral one, or a bad one?

(I don't see this as them recommending a long period of high RPM's. I interpret it as quick bursts a la the parents and the car.)

If it were my engine I would (in addition to posting here, which is a good idea) contact Yanmar and see if they can flesh it out a bit. Does it need to be done if you have already run at high speed? What are the downsides? Etc. I'd probably also call a trusted Yanmar mechanic to get their take. Wording my questions so as not to "lead" one way or another.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Pmcsurf1,
Can’t read it w big i-pad too.
I assume you’re showing that Yanmar actually said that ... racing the engine.
What I said in post #7 did not include considerations for turbochargers. Sorry.
But what Yanmar said seems applicable to turbos. But I know little about turbos.
It would probably be good advice if one was to read it w/o the racing bit. Why couldn’t they just say something like “advance the throttle quickly to full throttle for two about one second and then back to idle five times” or whatever.

Edit;
I see Frosty wrote;
“ It sounds analogous to that quick "rev" that people of my parents' generation always did to their cars before shutting them off. You know, put it in Park, hit the accelerator and a quick "vrooom!" and then shut it off. Those were gas engines, but was there some basis for it?”

Perhaps people were thinking if an engine was “loaded up” (too much fuel) a blast of throttle would clear it out. Probably not. When the revs hit their high point .. if the ignition was turned off just then the high vacuum in the entire intake tract would suck in lots of raw gasoline. Not good. And while the engine was shut off the fuel on the cylinder walls could wash much of or most of the oil there-on. Not good.

I had totally forgotten about that Frosty.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #19
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I assume you’re showing that Yanmar actually said that ... racing the engine.
Whether or not the procedure is always needed (or even desired), I'm pretty sure they just mean "revving" as we'd say it in (North American) English. To me (US), racing would be for a longer period of time, and they do say quick bursts, which I would know as revving. "Rev it up a couple of times." "Okay."
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:39 PM   #20
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
When operating the engine at low speed for long periods of time, race the engine once every 2 hours.
Me-thinks that's the important bit.

I don't think they are talking about when you are running your boat normally...they are talking about when you are operating at a very slow speed, like trolling for salmon, or if you are charging your batteries at anchor at (or near) idle.