Puke Bottle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Has anyone made a puke bottle? I'd like to put one on my port side 6bt. The vent hose spits a bit and it is making my pretty white pan look dirty. I've seen them discussed quite a bit on boatdiesel but I've never seen a picture.

IF there is room picture an old Gallon milk jug.

I made one for my Cummins using a 4 inch PVC pipe. Capped (removable)on each end. Tapped two 1/2 inch npt for barbed fittings, one each end. One inlet, one outlet hose leading near an engine room vent. Oil diaper piece inside the pvc pipe to catch and absorb the yuck.
Worked good and stayed put laying aginst a stringer.

on my 6bt, I ran a clear vinyl hose from the breather to a plastic tee, on the leg of the tee facing down a plastic squirt bottle is attached, while the other leg of the tee feeds more tubing going up and venting to the outside.

Any oily vapor typically will condensate on the almost vertical run of tubing, which then drips back down into the bottle.

Keeps the engine room oil free.

inexpensive fix.

Hardly seem to get any "puke" on our Cummins 6BTA5.9 but have the breather tube going into a 1 gallon jug with paper towels inside. Stays relatively dry for extended periods. usually change the paper once a year or so.

I have used these.You can drain them when you change oil.There is rarely more than a few ounce unless you go a long time past oil change time.I have also plumbed them to drain back into the oil pan when the engine.Most of the oil that vents out is from the valve train slinging it around into the air being vented from the crankcase.All those spinning internals has a lot of windage and cause pressure inside the engine.So the venting air has fine oily mist.Anything more that that and it could be a blow by problem.

Moroso 85406 6AN Fitting Breather Tank - 1 Quart Capacity : Amazon.com : Automotive
21C7i4Px32L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jaz Products 605-375-01 Mini-Breather Tank with 0.375" Fittings : Amazon.com : Automotive

Allstar Performance ALL36109 Breather Tank with 2 Bung : Amazon.com : Automotive
31GLQReGgeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Looks like a real neat solution. I always thought that the "rebreather" systems were too complicated and expensive for an issue that I consider marginal at best. However, this looks like a good idea. Just need to check where/how to clamp it on/near the engine.

Looks like a real neat solution. I always thought that the "rebreather" systems were too complicated and expensive for an issue that I consider marginal at best. However, this looks like a good idea. Just need to check where/how to clamp it on/near the engine.

:thumb: Try to keep the hose running to the catch tank on a straight down hill run.Back ups can cause the oil to puke back out of the filter.

What ever choice you make DO NOT add the puke bottle oil back into the engine!!

Back
Top Bottom