Proper way to secure flexible exhaust hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the picture you have shown I wonder if you have not created a situation where the engine will be backfilled with exhaust water from the riser at some point.

Whoa - dunno. That's way beyond my pay grade. I simply secured it back to the same location it's been since 1988.

With the exhaust exiting below the water line (just off picture, to the left), that riser seems necessary - no? And, not that something couldn't slip by them...but I've two surveys for the boat, including an engine survey by a highly recommended Yanmar mechanic - and neither mentioned a concern other than securing the hose. Still, I'll peruse those docs you linked to and ask my Yanmar guy - thanks.

Is that your fuel tank running athwartships? And if so what is the capacity?

Yup - 75 gallons, reportedly. Most I've put in was about 40 gallons, and the sight gauge showed roughly 50% full before doing so - so that's probably pretty close.

Pretty sure the exhaust elbow elevation is near or above the top of the loop in the lazarette.

What caught my attention is the hose rises first to the high point at the overhead. Then drops again to the transom outlet.

That first rise after the engine but before the overhead is effectively a dip. it may be OK but I think you need to be very carefull. You do not want me to be right.

Take another picture that actually shows the connection to the engine manifold/turbo and the overhead support.

The engine is 8' forward of where the picture was taken. 180 Nordic Tugs were built like this. It is to prevent a following sea backflooding his engine. It's fine.

Similar to this.

Attachments

• exhaust1.gif
    exhaust1.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Wagmore,

Read the articles I suggested from Tony Athens.
I simply noted something that you should investigate.

Make up your own mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom