Old 08-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

City: New Rochelle
Vessel Model: Mainship Trawler
Kohler 9EOZD generator

Can anyone tell me where the thermostat for this generator is located Thanks Tom
tomsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
It is inside of the water cooled exhaust manifold right where it turns down and goes into the heat exchanger.

Looking at the schematic, it looks like to bolts come out to remove the elbow and thermostat housing/cover. It looks like there is a gasket that you want to be careful of tearing -- and/or have a replacement handy.

-- https://atlantismarine.co.uk/Images/...ile/tp6270.pdf
-- https://www.atlantismarine.co.uk/Images/User/tp6255.pdf
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

Generator

Can I get to this I have no access to the top of the generator unless I pull it out the rear is the same.I have a sound shied the top was left off the top is a inch from the deck.I'm loosing coolant I can't see where it's coming from Thanks for the reply. Tom
Old 08-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
STB
Guru

I think that might be hard with the sound shield on. I don't think it has an access to the thermostat or heat exchanger.

Unless you can come up with a better way than I'd see, you'd need to reach down over the heat exchanger and under it with a ratchet to get that cover/elbow off. I also suspect you'd need to take off a hose clamp on that hose to take that cover off, because I don't think it has enough play. Then from there you'd have to pull the thermostat out. Replace it, if that's what you want to do, get the hose back on it loosely, use the ratchet to tighten it back in, and then tighten the hose clamp.

It might be theoretically possible, but I think you'd need the small hands/arms of a trained 3 year old or something to pull it off. Having said that, there is no harm in trying. See if you can get a socket onto the two bolts. See how long that hose is and how thick it is an try to imagine if you can pull it out of the way with the clamps on (I think almost -- but not). See if you can get a socket on a hose clamp.

Also remember that you'll lose fluid and need to recover it.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
STB
Guru

Hey Tomsboat,

I guess one question worth asking is this...why are you trying to get at the thermostat? Are you sure it is the problem? They are more reliable than, for example, impellers and heat exchangers, in my experience.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
If you have not located where your coolant is going, suggest you check the genny’s oil
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
STB
Guru

Oh, I see. Thanks foggysail. Tomsboat is losing coolant.

Is it landing in the bilge? What color is the smoke? How does it smell?

And, as foggysail suggests, how does the oil look, and feel? And the remaining coolant?

A bad thermostat might cause overhearing or slow warm up, but should cause a coolant loss. It is inside of what should be a sealed loop on both sides.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
Guru

One more comment for whatever it may be worth. We have an older Kohler with the famous L654 engine. The end cap on the exhaust/coolant/heat exchanger failed, rotted away and of course no replacement parts were available. Had to have one made.

The end cap used a cast bar to separate the the coolant and the raw water needed to transfer the heat from the heat exchanger. When that separation bar failed it allowed the engine’s coolant to mix with the raw cooling water which of course is discharged outside the boat.

Be on guard for a similar situation being your problem
Old 08-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

Generator

I have no idea where the coolant is going I limped in lost my thruster coming in I have a single engine and 76 years old with medical conditions.I can't get around the generator so I will have to wait till the mechanic gets to it.I will let you know what happens when all is done.isn't boating fun.Tom
Old 08-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
Guru

Good luck Tom. And don’t lose sleep over it. And if you do hire a mechanic, be sure to get at least a budgetary estimate for repairs before going forward. No need for surprises.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
STB
Guru

Tom,

If you can check the oil and have got enough coolant still in there to start the generator, you can look at the smoke. Maybe someone can check the fluids for you, topping off as needed.

If the oil looks diluted, since that unit doesn't have a oil cooler that I know of, it could be a head gasket. If you see a pile of white smoke, it could also be a head gasket.

If you don't see either, you've probably eliminated the head gasket as a possibility and can focus on less expensive and more common problems, such as the exchanger.

White smoke from the head gasket will tend not to smell bad or smell slightly sweat and rise up quickly, like the steam that it is. By contrast, white diesel smoke smells aweful, like diesel, and tends to linger lower rather than rising up as much.

Diluted oil tends to look milky.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #12

Generator

Turns out I was loosing coolant from a hose connection.Hose is now fixed all is well.Also lost I my thrusters coming it turns out battery connection was bad clean ned and tighten all is well. Tom