Prop line cutters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have Shaft Sharks and caught a crab pot line this past spring. I don't know when it happened, although I noticed a slight vibration on the port engine that got worse at higher RPMs. We normally cruise fairly slow so it wasn't very noticeable, but once I started investigating it was clear something was wrong. We diverted to a marina, scheduled a diver and inspected with a GoPro zip tied to a boat hook before the diver arrived. Pics of what we found and the line after removal by they diver are below.

The diver said he sees our situation frequently and Shaft Sharks are overall the best. It's not uncommon to still have remnants of line to remove but you won't get shut down completely.

Attachments

• Prop with line tangled 1.jpg
    Prop with line tangled 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Crab pot line 1.jpg
    Crab pot line 1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 16
Line Cutters

Part of the equation is how much do you want to spend.

I have for the last several yrs purchased SALCA Line Cutters, look here (https://tinyurl.com/3228ydpm).

They do the job, I don't have pictures, but they have proven themselves several times.

I like the fact that they serve 2 purposes, the line cutter and an anode.

Good luck.

Line Cutters

I have tried several disc style cutters and they didn't work.. One time the pot warp got wound around my shaft so tight the engine stalled (running at idle) and my starboard rear motor mount cracked on my Mainship Pilot 20 II. I have since installed Spurs and they have done the job several times very nicely.!

I like spurs but they are much more complicated installation and alignment process. I'm more likely to try shaft shark or pirhanna disc cutter next spring, but thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom