Old 10-31-2020, 12:11 PM   #1

City: Lagrange, IL
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks CL 42
possible issue with generator

This is for a boat I have offer on. Is a Northern lights 8K. Oil sample indicated positive reaction to test for water and glycol. Potassium is high (K=368) . Owner said he just mistakenly started adding antifreeze instead of oil to unit then realized his mistake and drained and then added the proper oil. CAT did the sample and suggested check for cracked head or leaking gasket or seal.
I said to change oil again which he did but then need to run generator and take another sample. Not done the sample yet. It's getting late in the season and the boat needs to get in the shed soon. I may have to settle on 10 or so hours for an oil sample.
Owner took it upon himself to hire a mech to check out generator. This is what I am told by my broker:
"He found the engine to be running well but he will suggest to owner the exhaust manifold should be replaced as it is time and beginning to show signs of wear. He didn’t feel the oil sample readings reflecting any active issues. He ruled out cracked head or head gasket, says in that case the excessive pressure invading the cooling system from cylinder compression makes the cooling hoses very hard, these remained supple during several hours of operation. No leaks of any kind reported and coolant and oil all appear normal. Suggest run 20-30 hrs and re-sample. Long term think about replacing circulation pump, thermostat and a few hoses but fine now and not in immediate need of replacement."

I am mainly worried about a cracked head and or blown gasket/seal. Does this explanation sound legit to you? I wonder how much you can tell from just running the engine if there is just a small leak of antifreeze getting into the crankcase?
As always thanks in advance.
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Just offer him less with a dud genes as the reason. One of those new, with installation is about 10 boat dollars. Then get it fixed.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Along with an oil sample, have the mechanic perform a wet and dry Compression check.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Have the mechanic test for hydrocarbons in the heat exchanger. If you have a blown head gasket it will show up there.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Genset! Stoopud schpel chek.