Old 11-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #21

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Name: EPIC
Vessel Model: 43' Ocean Super Sport
My son has standing instructions any time the boat won't crank when I turn the key... "Dad, are you in neutral?" . I love simple solutions.

Prospective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #22
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Over the years I have been on many call-outs for marine diesels that would not start. A bunch of them, troubleshooting revealed "no fuel in tank". Never slammed them for that, just politely said "let's get some fuel in here".

Gotta go for the simplest and cheapest problem first. A fuel valve half cocked is in that category. And I have bumped into them and put them in that position.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:52 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Always KISS, do the easy things first. Don’t rip it all apart and then discover that the fuel supply shutoff valve is in the off position.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
My son has standing instructions any time the boat won't crank when I turn the key... "Dad, are you in neutral?" . I love simple solutions.
I can’t count how many times I have turned the key, and nothing happened, and then did the, “Oh, that’s great,” thing, before checking the gear shift.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:51 PM   #25

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Always KISS, do the easy things first. Don’t rip it all apart and then discover that the fuel supply shutoff valve is in the off position.
That actually was the problem the first time I ran an engine dry. I just bought the boat. Had the previous owner fill the fuel tanks as part of my original sales agreement. I had run it around San Diego a bit with no issues but now I was taking a 9 hour trip up to Los Angeles Harbor. I had been running for about 7 hours when I thought to start running off of the second tank as it was full to the top and some fuel was spilling out the vent. Being shy, I only converted over the port engine. Then it died. Couldn't get it started and didn't know about cracking the injectors. Made the rest of the trip on one engine till I could call and get advice. It turns out there was another supply valve under the master bed that was turned off. Ok, figured it out.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:04 AM   #26
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
When we just buy a boat, not just yourself, but many folk, are full of excitement at cruising their new purchase they don't often ask for advice about what to do and check about their new toy in case they would feel embarrassed.
'Its only a boat, I can drive a car/truck so I can surely drive a boat' some reckon I'm smart enough to make the money so I don't need some mechanic/other skipper to show me what to do.
As you've found out its always better to ask a question and feel a fool for a minute, than go ahead and prove it.
Not only did you not ask/or not shown about the fuel valve you were not informed about the system of return pipes from the engine and which tank it went to which is why you had diesel spilling out of the vent.
You are now much wiser but get someone to show you the complete diesel fuel system and take notes so you never need to feel embarrassed again.
What happens when you run a diesel engine is that the fuel pump supplies sufficient fuel for the engine to run perfectly at wide open throttle (WOT), however it doesn't use all the fuel and any excess is returned to the diesel tank.
But which diesel tank ? Ask someone to show you and take notes/memorize and you'll be able to enjoy your new boat with your friends and family with no worries.
Everyone's been in your position at some time, we all had to learn the hard way and you are lucky as you have the internet now to support you.
Fortunately here on TF you have a wealth of knowledge from helpful guys and gals, all you have to do is ask and we'll all be happy to help you.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #27

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
When we just buy a boat, not just yourself, but many folk, are full of excitement at cruising their new purchase they don't often ask for advice about what to do and check about their new toy in case they would feel embarrassed.
'Its only a boat, I can drive a car/truck so I can surely drive a boat' some reckon I'm smart enough to make the money so I don't need some mechanic/other skipper to show me what to do.
As you've found out its always better to ask a question and feel a fool for a minute, than go ahead and prove it.
Not only did you not ask/or not shown about the fuel valve you were not informed about the system of return pipes from the engine and which tank it went to which is why you had diesel spilling out of the vent.
You are now much wiser but get someone to show you the complete diesel fuel system and take notes so you never need to feel embarrassed again.
What happens when you run a diesel engine is that the fuel pump supplies sufficient fuel for the engine to run perfectly at wide open throttle (WOT), however it doesn't use all the fuel and any excess is returned to the diesel tank.
But which diesel tank ? Ask someone to show you and take notes/memorize and you'll be able to enjoy your new boat with your friends and family with no worries.
Everyone's been in your position at some time, we all had to learn the hard way and you are lucky as you have the internet now to support you.
Fortunately here on TF you have a wealth of knowledge from helpful guys and gals, all you have to do is ask and we'll all be happy to help you.
I appreciate and agree with your comments however you have made some assumptions that just aren't correct. First, the PO knew very little about the boat. He had a captain, he never drove the boat himself, it was his bedroom on the water when he visited San Diego. So, there was very little I could glean from him. Yes I could have interviewed the captain, but I only met him during the sea trial and with engine and boat surveys underway, I had lots going on. Secondly, the reason fuel was coming out of the vents is not because of misaligned valves but because as, part of my purchase condition, was that the fuel tanks be full. They were, and there as a heat wave that July, and as the fuel warmed and expanded it began oozing out the vents. I taped some rags under them for a few days to try and prevent the leaks from getting to the bay. It has been about 2-1/2 years now. I have worked on the engines, water maker, stabilizer, anchor windlass, davits, electronics, fuel system, generators, Batteries, chargers, inverter, plumbing----what haven't I worked on? Even the A/C systems. It is all a learning experience. Hey its a boat. I bought my first one in 1986 so I've been around but each one has its own personality. This one was beautiful on the outside, had really good bones but had been somewhat recently under utilized and therefore some deficiencies were left undiscovered. Maybe the worst one was having done oil and coolant analysis with no issues except old coolant uncovered, driving the boat for 15 hours and then finding oil in the port coolant tank. That was a $3,200 repair. Or, how about driving my dinghy over to a friends newly purchased older boat and have him saying he is finished with fixing it up, I say no you aren't it is a never ending process. But I add, I think I'm done with the "big stuff' for awhile. I drive back to my boat and the davit won't lift it all the way up. Ok, rattled the boating gods and they got back at me.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #28

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Sunrise
Vessel Model: Gemini 105mc
This is a great thread for us 3208 new owners. I knew about the pump, but the T value I didn't know about. I've had experienced Captains on my boat with this problem and didn't know about the T value. Could someone post a picture of where to "crack open all of the stb injectors" or comment on my pictures?

The Brockerts
Attached Thumbnails
Injector1.jpg   injector2.jpg  
The Brockerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #29
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
RickyD, I was just generalizing and as you've found out the learning curve just goes on. Funny you should make the comment about the PO just using it as a floating bedroom. We have a guy in the port who just bought a lovely Dutch steel cruiser, 35 yrs old and looking real smart.
Dont be offended but there's an old Irish saying that 'Its all fur coats and no knickers (panties)' and this boat fits the bill.
Like you the new owners had only been on 2 weeks and the fridge blew up and the bilge pump quit, his wife fell down the stairs and has a partially collapsed lung.
Whatever Gods we believe in we sure need to keep in touch to keep the boat gremlins at bay !

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote