Old 12-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

City: maine
Perkins repair manual link to download

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...aHzz33rYQ/edit
captbrett73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #2

City: Toronto ON
First post? no explanation? Spam? Virus?

RB
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

City: maine
yes first post and epic fail. It was once a good link, now its corrupted, ill try to find another link, I have downloaded and printed out the entire manual for the st6 354, its very handy . and much better than buying one online. I have a perkins and absolutely love it . I came to this forum because of all the perkins information and wanted to share the manual. I am a lobsterman here in maine and perkins people are getting hard to find. So maybe someone can remove the link i posted, as i said its corrupted . Sorry I will do better next time.
captbrett73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
The link is just fine (we check those things on a first post like that) in that it is not a virus or spam. However, it appears that the manual itself cannot be accessed through the link. So good intentions, and good try. Thanks for the effort.

If the OP really wants the link removed, then I'll remove it (let me know), but for right now I'll leave it there since someone may be able to figure out how to access the manual through it. Might be just a matter of knowing how.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard ayuh...
Old 12-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Hmmm. My Antivirus is saying it's detecting and removing a virus when I try to open it at the site? That doesn't necessarily mean that it really is a virus, but something to think about none the less.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Hmmm. My Antivirus is saying it's detecting and removing a virus when I try to open it at the site? That doesn't necessarily mean that it really is a virus, but something to think about none the less.
Always something to think about, for sure. But my iMac, which is very picky about such things, did not detect anything untoward. I have played around with the site some, trying to break the code and download. I did manage to do a download of sorts, but it is not much info. What is there in the download which I did looks OK, but there is not much there. Most certainly not a manual. More of an introduction area.

All that said, if anyone has any doubt whatsoever then I would suggest not following the link. I think it is harmless, but also not particularly useful. So why take a chance.? I'm only leaving it up there because there are some pretty good experts on TF and one of them might be able to figure it out. I'd love to see that manual available.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
There are three Perkins manuals in the TF library for downloading, a operators manual, a workshop manual & a parts manual all were uploaded by Tom-B a couple of years ago. They are great to have on the boats computer.
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
The link was no good for my iPhone. Tried redirecting to some sorta third party spam contest site. Should have grabbed a screenshot but closed it out before it gave my new phone the clap. If I dig out my old laptop later I may try it again.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:01 AM   #10

City: G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
There are three Perkins manuals in the TF library for downloading, a operators manual, a workshop manual & a parts manual all were uploaded by Tom-B a couple of years ago. They are great to have on the boats computer.
How do i find the tf library?????help!!!!!
stone beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone beach View Post
How do i find the tf library?????help!!!!!
Top right of your screen. Says "HOME FORUM GALLERY LIBRARY." Click on "library."
Old 12-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post

Top right of your screen. Says "HOME FORUM GALLERY LIBRARY." Click on "library."
Thanks. I'll look for that next time I log in from pc. Usually I use mobile app. Can't find anything like that
Old 12-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone beach View Post
Thanks. I'll look for that next time I log in from pc. Usually I use mobile app. Can't find anything like that
Yeah, that is the problem in trying to advise anyone on something like that. There are just so many doggoned options! I use an iMac, with Chrome as my browser. Someone else, with a different browser, or a PC, or a mobile unit, is going to possibly see something entirely different from what I see. Oh well. As they say, life is a bitch, and then you die
Old 12-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #14

Quote:

Yeah, that is the problem in trying to advise anyone on something like that. There are just so many doggoned options! I use an iMac, with Chrome as my browser. Someone else, with a different browser, or a PC, or a mobile unit, is going to possibly see something entirely different from what I see. Oh well. As they say, life is a bitch, and then you die
Sure Ill find it and thanks for the help.
Not surprising if mobile version is trimmed down.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #15

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Maguffin
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Careful with the link Might be virus or malware.

Quote:
Always something to think about, for sure. But my iMac, which is very picky about such things, did not detect anything untoward. I have played around with the site some, trying to break the code and download. I did manage to do a download of sorts, but it is not much info. What is there in the download which I did looks OK, but there is not much there. Most certainly not a manual. More of an introduction area.

All that said, if anyone has any doubt whatsoever then I would suggest not following the link. I think it is harmless, but also not particularly useful. So why take a chance.? I'm only leaving it up there because there are some pretty good experts on TF and one of them might be able to figure it out. I'd love to see that manual available.
When I tried to access the link on my Chromebook it said I needed to install a extension. When I checked the Chrome Store the extension was not the same as the one the link wanted to install. It really seems like something is very wrong. I wouldn't even try it on my Windows PC.

Like John said use with care and if you are not sure don't click on the link.

Personally I think it contains a virus or malware.