Perkins Rebuild Cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wheeler

Hi All,

I'm looking at purchasing a 52ft paddlewheeler. More details in the Welcome Mat forum: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/paddlewheeler-ponchatrain-49601.html#post856581

I wasn't able to get the model number, but the main engine is a 220HP Perkins. It has a keel cooler fitted, and fuel comes from the day tank. There is an issue with the cooling system and it sounds like the transfer pump is out. The guy I looked at it with said that they would fill the day tank with jerry cans, pour in some new cooling water, and she "ran just fine". Obviously this thing needs some attention though.

My questions:

1. Can anyone pinpoint the engine model? I'd like to do some more research.

2. What's a ballpark for a rebuild? Assuming that the bores are good and it can be done in place.

I'm working up to making an offer but need some figures in hand to make an educated one. I've attached what pictures I can. Wish I had taken more but so it goes. I've included one of the link belt gearbox that drives a sprocket, which in turn drives the main wheel via chain. Pretty cool. It appears to have a hydromatic tranny installed but I'm no expert.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 54
  • ME Cooling.jpg
    ME Cooling.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 49
  • ME LO Header Tank.jpg
    ME LO Header Tank.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 49
  • ME Alternator.jpg
    ME Alternator.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 49
  • ME Gauges.jpg
    ME Gauges.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 43
Sorry for the double post. The forum didn't post the first immediately and so I reposted after a day as I thought it was lost.

Greetings,
I can't help you with any cost estimates BUT, I'm in envy of the ER. LOTS of room...LOTS AND LOTS of room!

200.webp

If the engine is running, have a mechanic survey it. You may not need an overhaul. Just a lot of TLC. It doesn't look all that bad except for the water leaks and corrosion.

If the engine is running, have a mechanic survey it. You may not need an overhaul. Just a lot of TLC. It doesn't look all that bad except for the water leaks and corrosion.

Appreciate the input. I'd definitely get it checked over first. Full rebuild is worst case scenario, but needs to be planned for.

I'm with Lepke, doesn't look that bad. If it starts easy and runs well. Maybe doesn't smoke to much it might be okay.

A boat like that the price would depend on how bad the owner wants rid of it. And how bad you want it. Not a whole lot of demand.

I'm with Lepke, doesn't look that bad. If it starts easy and runs well. Maybe doesn't smoke to much it might be okay.

A boat like that the price would depend on how bad the owner wants rid of it. And how bad you want it. Not a whole lot of demand.

Thanks Solly, that’s encouraging.

Understood on the price. The only way this works is if I start at scrap value and don’t pay much more than that. It’ll be an extensive refit and not cheap, but definitely doable provided the initial outlay isn’t silly

Sounds like the keel cooler setup is leaking.

No reason to rebuild an engine , just find the leaks.

Wonder why the roll of toilet paper is missing?

Greetings,
The roll of toilet paper is NOT missing. It has been replaced with the newest fad-the toilet spatula. This GREAT gadget can be used in multiple fashions:

1) Leave as is and scoop (double ended so you can use again and again). It is self cleaning if utilized in this fashion. Replace on holder after use and WALLA! Any "blockage" of the spatula orifice is immediately ejected.

2) For those particularly tenacious bits, flatten one end and scrape. The remaining OPEN end then can be used as originally designed.

Mr. b. Please try and keep up!

200.webp

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom