Perkins Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We hired a mechanic to come fix our Perkins 6.345m.. Well he took it apart and now we can’t get him to answer the phone. Does anyone have pictures, diagrams, or a link to manuals? Heck even a video of yours. We are mechanical but first diesel for us and I can’t find anything on this engine! Any help is greatly appreciated!

What did he take apart? Please share a picture is you aren't familiar with the names of the parts (you may need to make a few more posts prior to uploading pics).

The core of these engines, are simple tractor engines and parts diagrams and parts are readily available.

The marine specific parts are more varied, model by model, these parts are a bit more expensive (like any marine engine) but they aren't too hard to remove and replace. Some parts are harder to find but there are sources or work around for all of them.

https://manuall.co.uk/perkins-6-354-boat-engine/

I had trouble getting it to download, but am on my phone. Also note that these manuals are not typically for marinized versions so missing info on heat exchangers, exhaust coolant, etc. The 6.354 sometimes came with a water jacketed manifold for example.

If you have not already discovered Trans Altlantic Diesel (TAD), they are a good source for parts. May even have a hardcopy manual for sale.

Peter

There are 3 manuals in the library section for the Perkins:
Maintnance
Parts
Operation

They are downloadable.

I don't think I would go to the trouble of bypassing or detuning a turbo engine but every time I look at my NA Ford Lehman I am glad it is not turbo charged. Just more things to go expensively wrong.

pete

Resource

We hired a mechanic to come fix our Perkins 6.345m.. Well he took it apart and now we can’t get him to answer the phone. Does anyone have pictures, diagrams, or a link to manuals? Heck even a video of yours. We are mechanical but first diesel for us and I can’t find anything on this engine! Any help is greatly appreciated!
I highly recommend transatlantic diesel in White marsh Maryland as a resource. Call them with your engine, serial number and model, and they may offer you some excellent guidance.

Repeating GD’s question :

What did the mechanic remove, work on or otherwise deal with what issues you were having?

Last edited:
Repeating GD’s question :

What did the mechanic remove, work on or otherwise deal with what issues you were having?
Yes, need more info. Please take pictures. A Perkins 6.354 is a tractor engine with some bolt on marine parts.

Hello NautiDane_N_Mate to download a workshop manual for the 6354 Perkins go to www.rgkhightandsons.co.uk.
For the marinizing parts (heat exchangers/manifolds etc) go to the OE manufacturers www.ejbowman.co.uk.
For cylinders liners and sleeves etc go to www.westwoodcylinders.co.uk.
For all other Perkins parts go to wwwparts4engines.com
I hope these company sites help you, don't be put off by them being in the UK because they are at your service and will ship anywhere in the world for you.

Perkins engines are fairly simple and robust and providing you are meticulously methodical when working on them they will repay you with long service.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom