Perkins overheated - Possible damage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Realistically, even leaving the key on isn't a complete test, it only confirms the oil pressure switch and buzzer are working. The trans and coolant overtemp switches don't get tested.

Correct, all that's being tested is the actual annunciator and circuit via the low oil pressure switch, which is closed at rest. I routinely encounter alarms that are inoperative, usually the result of wiring issues to the annunciator or oil pressure sender, and rarely an oil pressure switch itself.

Correct, all that's being tested is the actual annunciator and circuit via the low oil pressure switch, which is closed at rest. I routinely encounter alarms that are inoperative, usually the result of wiring issues to the annunciator or oil pressure sender, and rarely an oil pressure switch itself.
My oil pressure alarm switch saved me today. I had changed the oil in my two drive engines and two generators using an oil change pump and selector manifold. I filled all four two weeks ago. This morning I started the port engine. Alarm sounded. What the hell. Checked oil level. No oil. Seems I somehow pumped 12 quarts of new oil out of the sump. User error with the valves on the oil change manifold changing the oil on one of the generators.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom