Perkins over temp switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksceviour

Vessel Name
Moderation
Vessel Make
Sea Lord 35
Ordered a new over temp switch for my Perkins 6.3544 however when I pulled the old one out the probe is different and the new one won't go in.

Any ideas where to get a temp switch like this? It was ordered using the engine number from a local yard. The old one has a 3/8 inch diameter probe compared to the new one at 1/2 inch

I'm around Toronto in Canada.

Attachments

• 20180501_175151.jpg
    20180501_175151.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 118
Try calling Trans Atlantic Diesel
You will need your engine serial number

Phone and Fax:
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (ET) Mon. through Fri.
Engine/Parts National Watts Order Line: 800-927-9295 TEL: (804) 642-9295 FAX: (804) 642-0340

Ordered a new over temp switch for my Perkins 6.3544 however when I pulled the old one out the probe is different and the new one won't go in.

Any ideas where to get a temp switch like this? It was ordered using the engine number from a local yard. The old one has a 3/8 inch diameter probe compared to the new one at 1/2 inch

I'm around Toronto in Canada.
Look at that:
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/ind...0599|10737&product=45642412&code=023121251014

They have different ones and if not in the online catalog drop them an email with what you are looking for and they will find it.

L

Thanks I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'm wondering now if the outer shell came off and is still in the block preventing the new one from going in. That said, there should be a 3/8 inch probe out there. The thread size on most of these things are the same.

Has anyone seen a temp switch with a similar probe out of a perkins?

Is it screwing into an adapter or straight in the the casting? If it's an adapter you should be able to change it for a open ended style or just drill it out larger.

Thanks I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'm wondering now if the outer shell came off and is still in the block preventing the new one from going in.

Doubt it. It looks intact.

That said, there should be a 3/8 inch probe out there. The thread size on most of these things are the same.

There are all kinds of switches for different thread sizes. The new one in the picture has a finer thread count and maybe a little thicker. Maybe metric.

Make sure you get a temperature SWITCH not a SENDER for a gauge.

Is it screwing into an adapter or straight in the the casting? If it's an adapter you should be able to change it for a open ended style or just drill it out larger.

No it's into the block with no adapter. I'll keep looking. Should be able to find one.

Make sure you get a temperature SWITCH not a SENDER for a gauge.

It's definitely the switch. I've got the wiring diagram for the engine and the sender works fine

Just a post to close this thread. I finally found a replacement over temp switch for my Perkins 6.3544 Range 4 135 engine. Made by Stewart Warner (available through Summit Racing in the US). The part number is 83304.

Ok so it's not the right one afterall. Still looking.

Can you use a different temp switch and npt adapter to move it out just a bit? Go from say 3/8" down to 1/4" the adapter will move the tip out at least 3/8" further out.

The original switch shears to be a British thread. I'm considering an adapter. Or just machining the new one to fit. E have to talk to my machinest but cheaper to turn the new switch I'm thinking.

That complicates things. Personally I would make an adapter to save the aggravation down the road of having to machine another switch.

Oh I agree. If I can get an adapter done that's the way to go.

Also have Perkins ST6354.4M engines and temp probe had numbers on it that turned out to be Stewart Warner as ksceviour indicated. Here's the link to Summit that I used to order the part. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-83307

See if you can find any numbers on on the original part.

I tried finding an adapter at NAPA and they couldn't match it to any thread they had including the 1/2". I'll be taking it to a machine shop soon as I can find a plug to stop the hole while I have it out. Whatever comes of this I'll post here. I'll renew my subscription to boat diesel as well and post there too. Someone has seen this before.

Here's a photo of the adapter on my Perkins, along with the temp sender and the number of the item. Unfortunately I can't give you any info on the thread sizes. temp.JPG Hope this shows

Here's a photo of the adapter on my Perkins, along with the temp sender and the number of the item. Unfortunately I can't give you any info on the thread sizes. View attachment 76404 Hope this shows

Thanks for that. Only a couple of digits site up on mine. I'll check that out. The link to adapters from Big Cat is a good one. I'll check that out.

Are you sure it is not an NPT hole? Get a piece of pipe or a NPT fitting and try it in the hole. If it is a British thread, hydraulic shops (good ones) stock an NPT to British adapter. Get a brass one if possible for the better thermal conductivity.

Regarding the temp switch, get one for a Chevy Impala 1969 350cid engine. 200F 1/2" npt.

Are you sure it is not an NPT hole? /QUOTE]

As sure as I can be without a British thread gauge. I can't match the switch with any NPT fitting I can find and believe me I've tried.

Look for a male BSPT to female NPT adapter. I googled it and all sorts of stuff came up.

To keep it compact you could go 1/2" male BSPT to 3/8" or 1/4" female NPT and the thing really then is just a bushing. Then would need to get a temp switch to match.

Heat transfer then would not be an issue. Don't like adapters that remove the probe from contact with the coolant flow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom