Are Perkins Engines Problematic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Garrobito,

Looks like we are going to end up with a Detroit Diesel powered boat. It is a 40' Cooper Prowler with twin diesel. If all goes well, should have it by the end of the month.

Jeff

Edelweiss, you have owned your boat for its entire 40 year life. Kudos to you...that's pretty rare these days.

How many hours have you put on your Perkins engines? What's the 6.354 model? What have been your biggest ticket items to replace/maintain for your "old' vessel?

For me (9 yrs ownership with 1100 of 3300 hrs) my exhaust manifold was big ($1800 part only!)...and then there was that time I ran aground and had to replace 2 struts (with cutlass, of course), shaft and PSS log plus bottom paint. Oh ya...those were the same day!! That was a bad day on the water for me! The PO had a similar experience that resulted in a soft grounding during a friend rescue and a trashed port tranny.

I love the simplicity of the old Perkins. Suck, squeeze, bang and blow at its most basic level. No electronics, no electric pumps,... Hell, I don't even have blowers or engine alarms. I've heard that the 4.236 can take an overheat, cool down and keep on truckin'! If that's true, I don't see the need for the expense of adding engine alarms. :hide:

Last edited:
Thanks Garrobito,

Looks like we are going to end up with a Detroit Diesel powered boat. It is a 40' Cooper Prowler with twin diesel. If all goes well, should have it by the end of the month.

Jeff

Hi Jeff! I'm in the process to buy a steel trawler with a 6-71 detroit, I open a threat about replace engine or not... Detroit are very good engine, but as a part of the refit, I'm thinking replace for cummins. Good luck and keep us posted!

Edelweiss, you have owned your boat for its entire 40 year life. Kudos to you...that's pretty rare these days.

How many hours have you put on your Perkins engines? What's the 6.354 model? What have been your biggest ticket items to replace/maintain for your "old' vessel?

For me (9 yrs ownership with 1100 of 3300 hrs) my exhaust manifold was big ($1800 part only!)...and then there was that time I ran aground and had to replace 2 struts (with cutlass, of course), shaft and PSS log plus bottom paint. Oh ya...those were the same day!! That was a bad day on the water for me! The PO had a similar experience that resulted in a soft grounding during a friend rescue and a trashed port tranny.

I love the simplicity of the old Perkins. :hide:

That's correct Al. My father and I bought the boat new in 1977, it's a '76 model. They are 6.354M Perkins N/A and have around 2500 hrs on them now. Still have the same Onan MDJE 7.5kw generator.

Purchases: Lot's of small stuff of course, electronics, cutless bearings, motor mounts, alternators, the odd pump. Heat exchanger cores were about 6 boat dollars each, but the single largest purchase was probably, like you, the exhaust Manifolds. Both were replaced with MESA stainless manifolds, I don't remember what I paid for them at the time of purchase, but they're around $2000 each now.

I agree, Perkins are pretty tough engines and don't require a lot of babying or maintenance. Just follow the manufacturer's recommendations for lube and fuel oil and you have no problems. I still use the original equipment Fram CCS 1136 water separators without problem and injectors / pumps are original.

I've never been grounded, but did damage a prop once coming out of Pirates Cove in the BC Gulf Islands.

Well, since I had a massive oil leak on my Perkins ST 6.354 turbo charged, I had to purchase a new oil cooler from Suffolk, England,...plus have the mani-cooler refurbished by Atlantic Diesel (I also shipped them the head for a rebuilt) I'm finally back to a two engine boat. This entire project began in May and sea-trials for the rebuild are tomorrow, 11/08. The engine itself is easy to work on, parts are readily available, but the marine addition parts are a basic, EXPENSIVE, pia...........however, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Perkins....everyone, PLEASE wish me luck on the sea-trials.

Fingers crossed for you, Wyoboater!

Why does everything on a boat take twice as long to fix and cost twice as much as you'd expect? :eek: :facepalm::banghead:

My boat has twin Perkins 4-236's and except for rebuilding the high pressure fuel pumps they have been good. They both have 2500+ hrs on them.

Kevin

FlyWright wrote, "Why does everything on a boat take twice as long to fix and cost twice as much as you'd expect?"

For running gear, the extra time is because all work is performed in a hot, cramped engine compartment over a dark bilge that swallows tools, parts and fasteners (requiring you to wiggle out of your contorted working position and go back to the marine supply store). To the second question: if the word "marine" appears anywhere on the packaging, the price is automatically multiplied by two at the checkout scanner. (That's embedded in the bar code). Additional cost factor: the beer necessary to make the aforementioned facts of life tolerable.

Well, the sea-trials were a ROUSING success!!!!

Mani cooler

I too read some stories about Mani coolers, in less time than brewing a cup of coffee I found a brand new old stock main for $4,200. I won't stop looking at Perkins powered boats.

6.354m n/a

I am looking at a 1978 Californian with 6.354M N/A and the add says they are 270hp each. That seems high and I haven't seen any other Perkins N/A with those kinda numbers. Anyone have any idea if those are accurate?

130 hp each would be my thought

I am looking at a 1978 Californian with 6.354M N/A and the add says they are 270hp each. That seems high and I haven't seen any other Perkins N/A with those kinda numbers. Anyone have any idea if those are accurate?

Welcome aboard. I agree around 130 hp. Maybe 270 for both?

Welcome aboard!

135 hp x 2 = 270 hp.

The 6.354 non-turbos are listed anywhere from 120 to 135 hp each depending on age. Anything over 135 hp would be a turbo engine.
It would not be the first time a listing agent got that wrong.

Last edited:
+1 on Perkins and TAD. Some odd parts are expensive (God help me if I ever need an oil pan), but most are very reasonable. I replaced both water pumps and the lift pump last year for around $500 total if I remember. My 4.236 is a workhorse. Wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a NA Deere 4045.

The above said, I'm told some 6.354 have issues with aluminum parts on the exhaust manifold and associated cathodic issues if the o-ring deteriorates. If I had a 6.354, I might consider replacing the manifold with an aftermarket one. Not cheap, but given the size, reasonably priced.
They're good engines and still supported.

We've had 2 Perkins and Trans Atlantic Diesels, Inc was our go to for parts.

TAD for Perkins Diesel Engines - Perkins Marine Engines, Perkins Marine Diesel Engines, Perkins Engines

I'm actually shopping for a trawler in your area. I live in Gig Harbor. I like the look of your boat, but my broker has strongly advised me to stay away from the Perkins Diesel motors. He says parts are very difficult to find and expensive. What say you?

Jeff

I have 2x Range 4 200HP on my boat and I rebuilt the port unit completely last year, including having the head professionally machined and redone, and a new turbo for less than 3.5k(us)
so no it not an issue , and there isn't that many engine that size , that you can just replaced the piston sleeve, parts (except the manicooler) are easy and priced like the rest, manual are free only and there is lots of video

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom