Old 02-12-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sidney
Vessel Name: The Lake
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Tricabin
Perkins 6.354 rewiring

I am rewiring my CHB 42 trawler. In doing so I have decided to also rewire my Perkins. The original looms and wiring are quite degraded.

I have some questions for all of you smart folks:

1. Are there any issues if I totally get rid of the harnesses (with the plug joints) and run direct lines with net new wire from the sensors, etc. to the panels?

2. I was thinking of using one of the converters to put digital gauges on my ChartPlotter. Should I keep my analog gauges as well?

- I may be able to reduce the wiring if I just run the lines to the converter (short electrical runs), and then its just NEMA 2000 cable to the chart plotters.
- But then I lose the redundancy of having the analog gauges.

3. Time to replace the alternators? The originals are OEM. They have external regulators. But as I have disconnected them all I am wondering if I should put them back or replace them with something new.

Chris
TheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #2

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Id atleast run the new harness or wires to a bus bar if you eliminate the plug.

Your alternators id keep em if they work. Get them tested and pick up a spare of each.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Are there any issues if I totally get rid of the harnesses (with the plug joints) and run direct lines with net new wire from the sensors, etc. to the panels?

Chris,

That is what I did when I rewired the Perkins in the Green boat. It was a 1979 engine and did not have plugs. I ran from the engine to a buss bar at the lower helm.

From there to the gauges and upper helm. I replaced all the gauges at the same time and upgraded the alternator. All wires were enclosed in a split loom. Much easier to insert and/or remove wire than a spiral wrap.

Rob
Old 02-12-2022, 08:33 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. TL. One major, IMO, advantage of keeping the analog gauges is you can quickly scan them and determine if things are within operating limits. You actually have to read digital gauges.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
I just rewired my twin Lehman 120's on my CHB 41. I chose to go with an Albacombi converting the senders to SeaTalkNG then to my Raymarine MFDs.

For redundancy I kept the alarm senders totally separate, wired directly to analog alarms at both helm stations (engine coolant temp & oil pressure and exhaust temp at the elbow)

For me this gives the best of both worlds - analog redundancy but digital convenience. I haven't fully configured yet, but I believe it's possible to set "warning" parameters flagging abnormal (but not yet alarm level) temp or pressure so you'll get an early ping from the MFD if you want the additional margin.

I'm 95% done. I think it's a good solution, particularly for these old simple NA diesels that just don't have much to keep tabs on. Pricing versus 2x analog gauge packs is pretty comparable, even with an extra MFD.
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:46 PM   #6
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
You can buy a wireless gauge set. Not cheap.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:01 PM   #7
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. TL. One major, IMO, advantage of keeping the analog gauges is you can quickly scan them and determine if things are within operating limits. You actually have to read digital gauges.
Or one better, rotate the gauges so "normal" is straight up. You really don't have to read them that way. The numbers become irrelevant, if a needle isn't pointing up something is wrong.
jgwinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:55 AM   #8
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Why are your wires degraded? Mine are 52 years old and fine.

You will want to keep your analog gauges if for no other reason but you will have a large blank to fill on your dashboard. An old boat with no anakogue gauges would look unusual to say the least. Run electronic gauges in parallel.

Do keep your color coding correct. Getting purple (for example, especially tinned) wire is a pain but find it and recreate the loom accurately by keeping the gauge wires bundled throughout the run.

No problem not having disconnect plugs. Those were used for ease of engine install.

Good luck.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
Guru

When I repowered my old Mainship I used a waterproof junction box to mate the new Cummins with the Perkins ship wiring. No issues

I also like analog gauges, as they are easier to glance at as mentioned above.
I also like to choose gauges that have meaningful numbers on them. For example, I found a temperature gauge that had a 180 mark so I didn't have to "guess" where the needle was actually pointing.
Most gauges will have the needle "up" in the normal range if the scale is appropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0638.jpg  
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote