Perkins 6.354

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmarsh203

Vessel Name
Chapter II
Vessel Make
1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Where and how much have you bought a rebuilt Perkins 6.354 for? Also places to stay away from from bad customer service. I’ve been looking at trans Atlantic diesel for sending me a long block any good or bad experiences with them?

You can exhaust yourself doing searches that direct you to industrial parts suppliers that have no real experience with marine engines. Save the frustration and stick with TAD. They have extensive knowledge of Perkins and sourcing reconditioned NLA parts.

I have recently experience with this. I bought one in December. I was in a mad rush hurry to get it done before family visited for Christmas. At the time, S&W in Wilmington, normally my first call and one of two places I'd recommend, had 2xdot-4 engines on the shelf and rebuildable blocks for the original TC models. But, I didn't have time, to let them build me an engine, or so I thought, and didn't want both dot-4s or to mix and match. I also called TAD, the only other place I'd recommend, and they had neither cores nor engines in stock.

I ended up getting an engine from another legacy Perkins dealer. I posted a thread on it. Legal action is forthcoming.

I should have waited for S&W, it would have only been a matter of weeks and it would have been built for me and shipped to me. S&W is old school and nit much for the Web. You'll have to call them to find out what they have and when. If you can get a hold of Scott, that'll save a call back.

If you DM me, I can send you my recent correspondence with the folks I did buy from and you can see who they are and make up your own mind. They sell a lot on eBay and have an add running, but are a brick-and-mortar store, around as a dealer since at least the 1980s.

Last edited:
Can't say enough good about TAD. If Marcus dies or retires, I am going to go into about the same panic I would if I looked back to see clouds of back smoke accompanied by loud clanking noises from the engine room.

BTW, out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, why do you need a new engine? My situation was whacky. Most of those engines are pretty robust.

I would go with TAD too but I would go with a complete engine not a long block. Remove old, set new, connect and test. The exception would be if you had to disassemble both to remove/install.

Water ingress into engine and previous owner did nothing about for several years she is froze solid. I’m a diesel mechanic and I’ve tried everything I know to break her over short of a hydraulic press. Super robust engine but pure negligence is a great way to destroy one. I do understand that it’s a sleeved engine but I don’t have a place or the tools to do the work myself and a rebuild cost more than a long block, rebuild by questionable mechanic also comes with no guarantee and the possibility of a lot of problems. Long block even from tad is cheaper, comes with guarantee, and adds value to boat of a repower that a rebuild does not. And I’m going with a long block because I am a mechanic, the only thing “maranized” about a Perkins is a heat exchanger, and a water pump. I’ve got a new heat exchanger, and the water pump is super easy to install so can’t justify the extra 3k for the maranized engine.

Have no personal experience, but have heard 100% positive about Trans Atlantic Diesel's re-manned Perkins.

Oh, to answer your question, I paid $8500, plus shipping, for a remanufactured TC engine from a Perkins dealer. That was complete in an industrial configuration, so it was a long block to me, as the oil pan and pickup, manifolds, etc, needed changed. And, they sent the one with a mechanical governed injector pump vs hydraulic, so ibkeot my old pump, too.

Just note that the pan and pickup need changed, too. Surprised me but marine holds more oil to deal with the rocking.

But that dealer....neither S&W nor TAD....kept my $4,000.00 deposit and refused to return the engine sent in for the deposit. Will let everyone know how it goes in court, once the wheels of justice turn.

If TAD can't help you, call S&W, they are the big west coast dealer, have blocks they can build and dot 4 engines on the shelf. When I called they TC blocks ready to build, but nothing on the shelf. At the time, TAD had no engines and no blocks and no ETA on either. That was early December.

Back
Top Bottom