Parts for racor spin on FF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hey Guys,

My Racor 120 fuel filter has a very slow (like 3 drops an hour) leak. I'm pretty sure it is coming around the main bolt that holds the filter element on. There's a gasket under that bolt, anybody know where I can get one?

Hey Guys,

My Racor 120 fuel filter has a very slow (like 3 drops an hour) leak. I'm pretty sure it is coming around the main bolt that holds the filter element on. There's a gasket under that bolt, anybody know where I can get one?

Pretty sure the 120 uses a spin on element like an oil filter. Where is this bolt you are referring to?

Ted

Pretty sure the 120 uses a spin on element like an oil filter. Where is this bolt you are referring to?

Ted

:thumb:

Mine is a spin on, both filter and bottom. Looks like this...

Are you talking the bleed screw on the front?

Any washer or o ring that fits should be OK...but ask Parks from our commercial sector or any dealer should be able to get you one...or check with Parker who makes them.

Attachments

• rac120ap_05.jpg
    rac120ap_05.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
:thumb:

Mine is a spin on, both filter and bottom. Looks like this...

Are you talking the bleed screw on the front?

Any washer or o ring that fits should be OK...but ask Parks from our commercial sector or any dealer should be able to get you one...or check with Parker who makes them.

Your local hydraulics shop will have an oring for it. Bring the bleed screw with you to size it correctly.

Ted

Thanks for the responses guys, but it's not the bleed screw.

Perhaps "bolt" is not a good description. It's right in the center of the top of the filter bracket, it is hollow. There are two small holes near its tip, obviously fuel flows through it, though I'm not sure why. It drops through a hole in the top of the bracket. The filter element threads onto it.

Last edited:
How about posting a pic.

Does it look like this?

Racor.jpg

Ted

Not like mine...

Wonder if the small holes are for self bleeding or draining?

Not too familiar with the small stuff , but I too would guess there is either an O ring , or one of the Euro flat fiber washers that has been lost.

Sometimes the fiber washers are installed in the wrong spot .

The metal washer pushes on the fiber washer, not the reverse.

Modern cars make use of fiber washers so NAPA or Auto Zone can help.

Yes, it looks exactly like that. Sorry I can't post a pic, I'm not at the boat.

It's the bronze "bolt" head in the top center that appears to be leaking.

Here is a link to the brochure with a schematic at the bottom.

RACOR 120 Seperator / Filter

There are 2 orings and a fiber washer on the bolt. Normally Racor is very good about including replacement seals in the replacement element kit. As these seals would be disturbed in a filter change, they're probably in the kit. If it were me, I would replace the filter element which should come with those seals and know everything was to factory standard.

Ted

Thanks Ted, that is exactly what I needed.

Looks like the head bolt and the O rings come as a set, I don't really need the head bolt, set costs $33 from Racor. Makes for an expensive 3 O rings.

Thanks Ted, that is exactly what I needed.

Looks like the head bolt and the O rings come as a set, I don't really need the head bolt, set costs $33 from Racor. Makes for an expensive 3 O rings.

I'm guessing if you buy the replacement filter you will get the orings and gasket with it.

Ted

Edit: Guess they don't come with the replacement filter. That's pretty lame on their part. Have you tried tightening the bolt?

Ted

Last edited:
Yeah, I tourqued it down pretty hard, probably harder than I should have. Looking at the schematic, it appears there are two rubber o rings on the head bolt. It's not shown, but I'm guessing that one of those O rings goes on the underside of the bracket and the other goes on top of it, in between the bracket and the washer.

I'm going to see if I can find a couple of O rings that fit and see if that helps. I may also call Racor, maybe I can sweet talk them into sending me the gasket kit without the head bolt.

Thanks for all your help, Ted. BTW, I was born and raised in Ft. Myers, my family still lives there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom