Old 07-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
Part needed: Westerbeke computer board

I'm posting this for a friend who lives aboard, and whose entire cruising season is over unless we can find the part.

The Westerbeke part number is 053567 and it is the computer board for a 12.5 kw EDT generator. https://www.westerbeke.com/Product/C...T12VWLK/053567

It was damaged by a leaking salt water pipe, and needs to be replaced.

Westerbeke, through the local service folks, have said none are in stock, and they have no ETA - maybe months or longer - due to supply issues. I'm sure this is related to COVID.

We're hoping we can find one somewhere, even a used one, or one sitting on a shelf at a distributor, even in a foreign country. It has to be programmed with the specific unit info, but Westerbeke seems like they could do that rather quickly.

If you have any ideas or leads on where to find Westerbeke parts, please let me know. A fellow trawlerite would be in your debt!
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:05 PM   #2

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
https://discountmarinesource.com/sto...oduct_id=98940

Quick google search came up here with a board if the right part

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200701-170418_Chrome.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	104488
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
https://discountmarinesource.com/sto...oduct_id=98940

Quick google search came up here with a board if the right part

Attachment 104488
Thanks - I had seen that one, but couldn't get a hold of them to find out if they really have it in stock, or just are reselling through Westerbeke.

Still searching....
Old 07-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
How damaged is the old one can it be reworked?
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
How damaged is the old one can it be reworked?
It does not appear so. Tried to convince Westerbeke to consider that but they did not seem interested at all.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #6
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
Han you post clear, high res pictures of both sides of the controller board? I am curious how extensive the damage is and what types of components are on it. I've repaired controllers on some generations of generators ranging from relay-logic ones from the 70s and 80s to IC based ones from the 90s. But, at a certain point, I suspect they've become too integrated for that. I just don't know.

But, if it is simple enough to figure out what is going on, the damage is limited, and the parts are generic, an electronics tech may be able to go through and renew it with a decent change of getting it working.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #7

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
those are words that should not be used together by a manufacturer of anything in a salt water environment "westerbeke computer". I love the old stuff without all the damned electronics...….
Just my 2cents.
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Han you post clear, high res pictures of both sides of the controller board? I am curious how extensive the damage is and what types of components are on it. I've repaired controllers on some generations of generators ranging from relay-logic ones from the 70s and 80s to IC based ones from the 90s. But, at a certain point, I suspect they've become too integrated for that. I just don't know.

But, if it is simple enough to figure out what is going on, the damage is limited, and the parts are generic, an electronics tech may be able to go through and renew it with a decent change of getting it working.
We don't have it anymore - it was a friends to begin with, not mine. I wish I could have taken some high resolution photos. It was definitely multi-layer board with a lot of tiny components. Not something I could have worked on - some of the components were absolutely destroyed, and while I am sure you could try to get some of them, I think that is part of Westerbeke's problem - sourcing the components with the slowdown in supply chains.

Also, having worked at a high-tech company for the last 20 years that produces even more complex custom boards, I doubt they were building them in New Jersey, but had them built by a contract company in China somewhere, all of which took a huge hit to production schedules and deliveries. Given that these are not a high volume sort of board (I am assuming) I suspect that really affected Westerbeke's ability to get more.

What is more concerning is their statements of "there is a huge backlog for this board" which to me makes me wonder whether there is an inherent design flaw in this series of generator, with a salt water elbow so close to a board, that they are constantly failing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
those are words that should not be used together by a manufacturer of anything in a salt water environment "westerbeke computer". I love the old stuff without all the damned electronics...….
Just my 2cents.
I'm right there with you. My entire job and life both for normal work and my website are in high tech. I love having the crazy internet setup I have on the boat, NMEA 2000 network that is connected to everything, and full automation of everything I can think of.

BUT - my engines have not a single computer on them, other than the Actisense EMU-1 reading data so I know their performance, and my generator is the same way. For those particular things, I would always love to have as few computers as possible - having had several modern engines with lots of computers on two boats, I can say I would much prefer never seeing those again....
Old 07-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Try giving Flight Systems a call they repair generator boards, though the site doesn't show Westerbeke, you never know what it might be the equivalent of. I know of two people who have had them repair generator and other controls were quite happy. And another who used them for an AC control issue. Interesting company.

https://www.flightsystems.com/standb...r-services.php

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
There are many people on the internet that fix damaged circuit boards from almost anything. Usually much cheaper than buying another and much cheaper than anything from Westerbeke. I've had many repaired, from appliances to radar. Usually $100 or less.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #11
Guru

This has turned into a multi-week mess for my friend. We finally did find a new board, but it turns out that wasn't the issue. Salt water had gotten into several other places, and after having those cleaned and repaired by an electrician, the unit won't run for very long before it shuts down. It appears to be something in the computer that is throwing a solenoid and shutting the unit down. Both the old and new computer board are doing the same things.

Unfortunately the local Westerbeke shop has no ETA for when they could visit. Does anyone know of any Westerbeke folks in the Seattle area other than Gallery Marine?
Old 07-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Have you tried jumpering out the trips one at a time and seeing if it will stay running? Also find your schematic drawing to monitor the voltage going to the run solenoid.
Those circuit boards take switch inputs like high engine coolant temperature or low oil pressure, apply some logic, and either power the run solenoid or not.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Have you tried jumpering out the trips one at a time and seeing if it will stay running? Also find your schematic drawing to monitor the voltage going to the run solenoid.
That's what we're pursuing now. So far we have only been able to find one solenoid which is for preheating / glow plugs. The rest of the electrical diagram only shows connections to the ECU (computer board) which appears to be the device shutting things on/off.

Continuing to dig deeper....
Old 07-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
That's what we're pursuing now. So far we have only been able to find one solenoid which is for preheating / glow plugs. The rest of the electrical diagram only shows connections to the ECU (computer board) which appears to be the device shutting things on/off.

Continuing to dig deeper....
The exhaust temp switch is one thing that can be easily jumped to rule it out. The oil pressure and coolant temp senders are analog inputs to the ECM. The ECM then "decides" if the values are good. A little trickier to bypass. With the engine off and cold, disconnect the leads to one sender at a time and measure the ohms of the sender. Typically it is either high ohms (around 300) or low ohms (around 30). For temperature senders you will need to simulate a cold condition. For oil pressure you need to simulate running high oil pressure. To do that you will need a resistor of an appropriate value to connect across the leads. Does this make sense or not?
The bad news is while doing this troubleshooting there is NO protection for the parameter bypassed. Older machines would have BOTH indication AND a switch to shut the unit down, With the switch bypassed you could still look at the gauge. That means you will need a mechanical gauge for oil pressure and a IR gun to monitor temps with a sensor bypassed. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, DON'T DO IT!!!
Looks like the RUN solenoid is called the ACTUATOR on the side of the injection pump and schematic.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Steve, I just replaced a 15KW Westerbeke on my boat and I believe the old one is still sitting in the work shop of the place that replaced it. I have no idea if any of the parts off that old one will work for your 12.5KW model but if you think it would help PM me and I'll give you the name/number of the guy to contact.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Steve, I just replaced a 15KW Westerbeke on my boat and I believe the old one is still sitting in the work shop of the place that replaced it. I have no idea if any of the parts off that old one will work for your 12.5KW model but if you think it would help PM me and I'll give you the name/number of the guy to contact.
Thanks! I'll pass that along!

Tags
generator, westerbeke