Old 04-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalme View Post
I was a mercury dealer in the 70's and 6 hrs for pulling a powerhead??? Go to another dealer-if I remember correctly we got 6 hrs to rebuild a 6 cly. powerhead=pistons,rings and bearings, etc. Have someone ck water pressure, thermostat, oil pressure, timing and fuel delivery.
But you weren't Marine Max. lol

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:16 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Why don't you ask them how they intend to determine whether the foreign object in the cooling system (probably a shop rag) wasn't the fault of the last mechanic who worked twice on your OB and failed to fix it.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #23
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Good point Ted.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 PM   #24

City: La Conner
My last Mercury was a 2003 40 hp 4 stroke. It started a having a similar problem of warning beeps and slowing down. All the while the telltale was good. Finally it was diagnosed that the " exhaust back plate" was corroded. With passages being corroded. Now, I had always flushed, etc. the motor always ran great. Pretty Disappointed with Mercury products and I had been a lifelong customer. Went Yamaha and Tohatsu for both dinghys.
Bigsalmonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsalmonfish View Post
My last Mercury was a 2003 40 hp 4 stroke. It started a having a similar problem of warning beeps and slowing down. All the while the telltale was good. Finally it was diagnosed that the " exhaust back plate" was corroded. With passages being corroded. Now, I had always flushed, etc. the motor always ran great. Pretty Disappointed with Mercury products and I had been a lifelong customer. Went Yamaha and Tohatsu for both dinghys.
Well, the dilemma is that you can't buy a Whaler without a Mercury. Now, there are those who purchase them and immediately trade their motor in on a Yamaha, but that's a very costly way to go. I don't know if they're more problematic or not. In this case, I think ultimately the motor is as good or bad as the service. That is an issue so far.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, the dilemma is that you can't buy a Whaler without a Mercury. Now, there are those who purchase them and immediately trade their motor in on a Yamaha, but that's a very costly way to go. I don't know if they're more problematic or not. In this case, I think ultimately the motor is as good or bad as the service. That is an issue so far.

Whalers are all Brunswick. I know I'm not going back to Mercury. People that rely on outboards year round are using Yamaha. My 1995 115 hp Mercury was fantastic. Never a problem with the cooling passages. It appears they have cheapened up on corrosion resistance.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
The mechanic can pick up a piece of grit off the floor and say it was obstructing the pathway, therefore you are paying. Try to prove it wasn't..
If you approach this on the basis the dealer is dishonest rather than bumbling,best find another service agent.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:40 PM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Don't mean to put a damper on this whole situation... however... for decades, for heating reasons, I and my closest boating friends do not buy Mercury outboards.

Even back in the 60's... Mercs were reported to run hot. Back then there were no alarms.

Come to think of it - maybe your alarm is simply malfunctioning and the engine is doing just what it's supposed to.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:53 PM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I get great service from older Johnson / Evinrude O/Bs. Also have had real nice smaller Nissan.

Is Yamaha now figured as being the best? What say you all regarding the three O/B brands I listed and use?

Happy Outboard-Brand Choice! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #30

I'm looking At what people rely on daily in British Columbia to work. It seems that Yamaha is the choice by far. I saw one Etec being used.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #31
Guru

City: Sydney
If a foreign object is big enough to get through the pickup strainer and cause a blockage there is something wrong with the strainer .

When and if the foreign object-is found see if it fits through the strainer on the leg then if not how did it get inside and cause a blockage ???
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 AM   #32
Guru

Growing up, my uncle was Mercury and my father was Evinrude and neither one ever had trouble. Now, on the lake we were on, the mineral content caused the same issues as salt water and the prevailing attitude was not to get Mercury or Mercruiser for salt water, but fine for fresh.

However, the only real issue with Mercruiser was removing the lower unit as the required tool was always a crowbar and you risked breaking the case. There were strong arguments between the brands, but honestly I could tell performance issues and not really quality there. Still, my cousin lived on the coast and Mercury was frowned on there.

I notice in South Florida a lot of Mercury. First, a lot if you just count Whalers. But other center consoles use them too. We have Yamaha on our center console. I don't know a lot of Evinrude owners but I know some who are very happy with them. I don't see enough of any other brand to even pay attention here. Most outboards here are on center console.

Oh, do see some Seven Marine for people who need more hp, twin, triple and quad 557's. Triples on a 42' Invincible were clocked at 81.6 mph. They introduced a 627 but I don't think have built any. Since fuel economy is important, they have a chart showing that at 65 mph on an Intrepid 370, they get better fuel mileage than either Yamaha 350's or Mercury 300's.

The Mercury dealer on the lake had a far better reputation than the one the OP is dealing with.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:50 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I don't recollect seeing anywhere on this thread exactly what this warning tone was supposed to warn of..? Surely the manual would advise what it meant, thus narrowing down the likely causes. However, I also agree that nothing that could get sucked in should be big enough to block anything. I am totally unconvinced that removing the powerhead has even been indicated as necessary yet, but if so, 6 hours is ridiculous, as others have intimated. This outfit is just plain dodgy. I bet it's just a faulty warning device. Did they try changing that..?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #34
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I think the OP's motor (25 Merc 4s) is actually a rebranded Tohatsu. Tohatsu's seem to have a pretty good rep in saltwater, and that thing is WAY too young to have serious corrosion issues.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This brand thing is nuts. 99% subjective.
Just because you see lots of engines of a certian brand (like Cummins or Yamaha) does not mean they are the best. In some areas there's only one dealer and it's obvious what brand you'll see on boats in that vicinity. I don't know of any bad major brand engines.

Sounds to me like the subject engine on this thread is not the problem. Probably the dealer. Bur we here on the internet do not have all the information. If we did we then could make good judgement.

In the old days Mercury was a high end engine w quality parts and design features like roller bearings and one pice head/cylinder castings that the other brands lacked. And you rarely saw a racing engine that was not Mercury. But that did'nt mean it was the best engine. The one piece powerhead was good for running and dependability but not so good for servicing.
And for durability if used properly you can't beat the record by some of the sawmills in this PNW area of the Mercury Mk58 50hp inline four cyl. engine's performance in the log ponds. Kinda like a tug but little boats pushed logs only. They operated the throttle like a hand pump and used full throttle most of the time. Many of these engines were used for well over a decade in such service. They rebuilt them at times but probably not completely. Never saw a Johnsonrude or an Evinson on a boom boat, bull boat (or whatever they were called). Great engines.

But that was 50 years ago. However the English have been drinking tea for a long time.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #36
Guru

Mercury was always the leader in racing engines but that has absolutely nothing to do with their issues or non-issues in salt water on regular boats. Brand is a factor, but we don't know how much. For those who have a choice, Yamaha is preferred more than Mercury.

I do agree though that in this case and many, the dealer is more in question than the brand, in my mind. I'm hoping he can talk to someone else there on site with more experience and knowledge and more appropriate plans, a more senior mechanic or a manager. If not, then involving Mercury seems like the answer. The mechanic has had two shots and just letting him go as he wishes, I greatly fear three strikes and disaster. Nothing shows knowledge and experience. The fact the OP left with the boat and same problem as he had when he took it in speaks for itself.

Also, while the level of issues vary from dealership to dealership, Marine Max does not have a good reputation for service in Florida (or most other locations, but FL is on topic here). That reputation has been earned and not just on Mercury outboards. Now, Marine Max Stuart actually has some good reviews online too. Main criticism I see is not returning phone calls. In general, I've just known many less than happy Marine Max customers. The least happy have been Azimut buyers. Second has been Whaler and Mercury buyers with little issues not being fixed and same problem again. Third has been purchasers of Sea Ray L Series during the first two years of production.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #37
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
BandB,
People usually buy what they see most of assuming it's the best. Kinda like anchors.
One can only criticize that to a certian extent though. I bought anti-fowling paint in Alaska that way. There was a huge stack of brand Y in the store and don't remember seeing anything else. I bought brand Y. There was more to it though.

What does OB racing have to do w salt water? Are you saying most racing takes place on fresh water? Never thought of that but it could be. Most of our water around here is salt and of course there's racing on both.

Some people say that good racing performance dos'nt indicate a good cruising engine and IMO there's an ounce of truth in that ... an ounce.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
BandB,
People usually buy what they see most of assuming it's the best. Kinda like anchors.
One can only criticize that to a certian extent though. I bought anti-fowling paint in Alaska that way. There was a huge stack of brand Y in the store and don't remember seeing anything else. I bought brand Y. There was more to it though.

What does OB racing have to do w salt water? Are you saying most racing takes place on fresh water? Never thought of that but it could be. Most of our water around here is salt and of course there's racing on both.

Some people say that good racing performance dos'nt indicate a good cruising engine and IMO there's an ounce of truth in that ... an ounce.
What I was saying was that there is no correlation between good racing engines and good production engines. Totally different worlds.

I think you underestimate the buyer. I think buyers do gather information. It may not be scientific, but most buyers talk to others and look at online comments and reviews.

Then there are some boat builders who limit you. Certainly makes sense for Brunswick to only allow Brunswick engines. Then some competitors will only allow other brands. And not to forget that Yamaha does own some boat companies and has owned others.

My personal view is that I had the choice of Yamaha 300's or Mercury 300's and chose Yamaha. However, if I wanted a Boston Whaler it would not bother me at all that they came with Mercury. In terms of good, they're both good and if one is better it's just by a small bit.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #39
Guru

City: Boston Area
Is there an update ???
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My newest Mercury was a 1988, 200 HP. The one I still have is a 1986, 6 HP. Had great luck with the 200s on my charter boats, but that was almost 30 years ago. Back then John-rudes (Johnson & Evinrudes) didn't hold up in the saltwater charter business, but that was almost 30 years ago. Now a days, Yamaha seem to own the saltwater charter business (in the mid Atlantic). Swore I would never own another OB over 25 HP, but I'll probably eat those words.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote