outboard for the Dingy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without further info.... it depends.

Dinghy size, weight, type... and max HP spec? Pax? Plane or not? Long distance or not?

Et cetera...

-Chris

small motors less than 10 hp. Portable.
I see that West Marine Carrie’s some that run on propane.
Or is it better to get an old one fit it with alcohol resistant gaskets?

If you're using it in Florida, just buy the ethanol free gas. That's what I run in my Suzuki.

Ted

They don't need alcohol resistant gaskets if a more recent model.

I have been dealing with Ethanol laced gas for 15 years and Soooooo many make a big deal out of it without understanding it's issues...which aren't many and confuse varnishing (an much older issue) with Ethanol that actually helps with old style varnishing.

You can't let it sit for months or introduce liquid water and no stabilizer I know of prevents phase separation.

Propane outboards seem to have certain issues that I am not familiar with but member OCDiver (Ted) does and may relate them.

Any of the major brands are pretty safe bet with Yamaha being my go to but the fuel injected Suzuki is tempting.

Electric outboards are great except for their price and depending on application not without drawbacks too.

Propane outboards seem to have certain issues that I am not familiar with but member OCDiver (Ted) does and may relate them.

Any of the major brands are pretty safe bet with Yamaha being my go to but the fuel injected Suzuki is tempting.

Electric outboards are great except for their price and depending on application not without drawbacks too.

Lehr propane units seemed to get very mixed -- and sometime horrible -- reviews. Dunno if those are still around.

We've had good luck with Suzuki fuel-injected outboard, but I dunno if the make those smaller than 9.9 hp... and their DF 9.9A/15A/20A weigh slightly over 100 lbs.

Tohatsu also now has some fuel injected models, not sure what smallest sizes are.

I really wanted to try electric for this newer one, but... our hazily-defined speed/range requirements and the size/weight of the console dinghy suggested larger... so I also wanted 20 hp (something like an Elco unit) and the combined weight and/or cost of batteries made that a no-go. (AGMs less $$ and heavy; lithium lighter weight and $$$$$$.)

-Chris

They don't need alcohol resistant gaskets if a more recent model.

I have been dealing with Ethanol laced gas for 15 years and Soooooo many make a big deal out of it without understanding it's issues...which aren't many and confuse varnishing (an much older issue) with Ethanol that actually helps with old style varnishing.

You can't let it sit for months or introduce liquid water and no stabilizer I know of prevents phase separation.

My propane outboard (Lehr) was a piece of Chinese Junk. The Tohatsu units are supposed to be a better quality. The advantage to propane is that the fuel doesn't go bad in the tank over time, no issues with water in the fuel, and you can also use the tank for the gas grill or boat stove if so equipped. Propane isn't as powerful per gallon as gas, so you use more. The propane outboards are smaller, so increased consumption isn't a big deal. Two 20 pound tanks worked well for my needs.

Ted

I have an ePropulsion in the garage, as yet untried. So no comments yet from experience.

But what I have tumbled to is an issue I didn’t expect and will point out.

That brand gets the slight nod over Torquedo in many reviews and some sales volume as a result. But Torquedo has the retail network locked up. There are a limited number of ePropulsion dealers. Getting after purchase items can be challenging. I subsequently ordered carry bags for storage and had a 4-5 month delay in getting them. It made me wonder about more critical parts in a pinch. Like a prop or zincs. On some quiet evening I’ll take stock of what parts inventory I want and put an order in so that it’s there when needed.

For EFI, Tohatsu offers it starting on the 9.9, which is ~95 lbs. The smaller stuff is all carb (the 8/9.8hp is ~81 lbs, the 4/5/6hp is ~56 lbs).

We've got a 6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (Nissan branded) on our dinghy. So far it's been reliable, although it's a bit hard to start cold if it sits for more than a day or so (seems to be a common complaint). Vibration is noticeable, but not awful (it's a single cylinder) and it's pretty quiet. It's pretty fuel efficient as well. Pushes our 12 foot hard dinghy along fairly well (planes with ~400 lbs of people and stuff at about 9.5 kts, does 13 kts with just me at ~180 lbs). Those weights aren't including stuff that's always in the dinghy like fuel, oars, etc.

If you're using it in Florida, just buy the ethanol free gas. That's what I run in my Suzuki.

Ted

I'd second that advice. I'm here in the heart of ethanol/corn country and hear all the PR and lobbying campaigns that the negative claims are a myth, but in my own experience, that's just nonsense. If I accidentally use ethanol in a small engine, I always have problems in the spring. Use non-ethanol, I don't even have to use a stabilizer and they start-up okay in the spring.

Like other posters have said though, need more info for a good answer. We bought a 1987 4hp Yamaha from some guy in Clinton, CT who had a pile of outboards in a vacant lot behind his garage. "This one is sweet!" he said. I was skeptical but we were in a time crunch prepping for a long run on Long Island Sound so I just handed him the cash. Had to be light enough to take off the (inflatable) dinghy and store on a bracket on the aft rail. Wish it had more than 4hp, but it's good enough, and of course the more hp, the heavier they get. Amazingly easy to get parts for for a 30-something year old outboard motor, and very reliable. But all depends on how you want to use it, and your dinghy set-up.

Portable to me means under 50 lbs. Even that is awkward. I have an older 3.3hp Merc 2-stroke that is surprisingly reliable and only 30lbs or so. I bought it new 25 years ago and have kept it as a backup only because I already own it. If I wanted a small backup, I'd go electric since I could use it with self-generated power.

Cant beat the energy density if gasoline. If range is at all important, gas is your best option. If speed is important, gas is your best bet.

Propane sounds like a PITA. A full bottle weighs as much as my 3.3hp. Not exactly easy to stow in a dinghy.
Peter

Depends on your usage. We will use ours as a ship to shore rig and some fishing.

I wanted a simple outboard. I bought a used, like new 3.3 mercury 2 stroke. Very light and not much on it to break. I have better luck carb wise with two stroke small engines than with comparable 4 strokes.

Small two stroke engines are very particular about fuel. That is why many weed eaters, small chain saws and other engines less that 50 CC are so hard to start after sitting for a while.

Always dump last years gasoline and use fresh stuff.

pete

Go to a dealer with the full range of small motors.
Pick them up to determine your weight limit on portable.
A 9.8 hp will weigh 60+ pounds and will require a sling & davit to rig to your dingy. I'd leave a motor that big rigged to the dingy.
I've been using a 6 hp yamaha on on a 10 foot rib, kinda miss my older Merc, it was lighter.

Torqeedo Recommended

We bought a used Portland Pudgy, which came with a Torqeedo. We were not interested in the motor, but figured we could sell it…the real reason for the Pudgy was the sailing dinghy.

The Torqueedo turned out to be a wonderful and enjoyable motor. It was VERY easy to go from having the motor bagged/stored in the lazarette, to mounted on the towed dinghy…less than 5 minutes. Take down was only a minute longer to rinse and wipe the motor before storage.

Performance was displacement speed only. It was fairly quiet, simple twist and go operation. The range remaining display removed any range anxiety. It was enjoyable for a quick trip ashore to explore something after an anchoring the mothership briefly en route. The ease of use and ease of storage facilitated lots of usage everywhere we went.

I sold it with the Pudgy as it was a long shaft model. We thought so much of the Torqeedo that we just purchased a short shaft version for small dinghy 2.0.

On the portability thing, we lift our dinghy with the outboard still on it. So weight is mostly a concern for us in terms of total weight to lift, not for getting the outboard on and off. At ~57 lbs, our outboard is surprisingly easy to carry, but not the easiest thing in the world to get on and off the dinghy if it's in the water. Anything heavier would likely require a hoist.

That said, lifting the dinghy in the davits with the stern towards the dock and being able to just place the outboard on it (while standing on the dock) did provide a fairly easy solution to get it on and off for the season.

We bought an electric Torquedo motor two years ago and love it. Easy to handle (it's in three pieces) form the sundeck to the swim step. The Admiral loves it as now she is the dinghy skipper. No noise and no more pulling a starter rope or carrying gasoline on the boat. We keep it stored in the forward cabin as there is no odor to it.

Any advice on choices of small motors for the dingy?

9.9 EFI Suzuki. Runs flawlessly. Starts first time.
Electric start would be preferred.
Cons:
A little heavy at almost 100 lbs
Pull start is a little rugged but manageable.

Sill an excellent outboard!

LEHR outboards, the early ones made in America were and may still be great outboards. Success drove the company to China for cheaper components for a short higher profit margin. Then those parts in the fuel delivery area began to fail and warranty claims bankrupt LEHR. There are still many for sale at throw away prices.

I almost bought one before I cam across this information. So if you buy one now and it fails (so far) there are no after market parts to repair them.

I am happy with my 5hp Mercury propane made by Tohatsu for the 270 hard bottom inflatable

If you don't need to plane, electric is so much cleaner, quieter, safer and can be cheaper. We have the 36# thrust Newport for our 9' dinghy, but they are available up to 86# (weighing a whopping 26 pounds, which is lighter than the smallest gas outboard). An 86# thrust might even plane our dinghy, but we use it mainly for exploring (silent and slow is required).

Purchasing a basic trolling motor saves you enough to really splurge on a battery. We have a 100Ah lithium (22#) and that's good for hours and hours with our motor. For the 86# thrust, a 24V battery is required. Here's one for $650, but it weighs almost 50 pounds. My criteria for a dinghy motor is "wife friendly" and easy to toss in the lazerette. 50 pounds is at the limit, as that is almost what the prior Group 27 lead battery weighed. We were both glad to retire the lead acid.

We went with a battery that comes with its own little charger. Very convenient, especially if one purchases a 24V battery. The chargers are usually limited to 10A, so after using the motor a few times it needs a few hours on the charger. Not an issue with an inverter onboard or access to shore power once a week.

My neighbor was sceptical about electric. I told him that I could create an intermittent short in the wires to make it frustrating to start. I could pour gas on it and slop some on deck. I could add some lead weights. I could drop a couple hundred dollars over the side and pretend it was for oil changes and spark plugs. He didn't seem to understand.

If you need to plane then 6hp+ depending on weight. If it’s just to go to shore then go electric. I will never have a small gas outboard again. The Torqueedo works great and it rids me of the ‘ gasoline on board’ problem. That is priceless.

We have a 9’ mercury rib. Use a Yamaha 2.5. We have taken 4 adults to shore and also towed another dinghy w 2 adults twice. It only weighs 37lbs so is easy to get on and off

Small two stroke engines are very particular about fuel. That is why many weed eaters, small chain saws and other engines less that 50 CC are so hard to start after sitting for a while.

Always dump last years gasoline and use fresh stuff.

pete

Pete,
I think the weed eater type engines suffer mostly from crude carburetors and fuel filtration. Too easy to flood them at startup too.

I don’t have troubles w my OMC 4hp twin.

Pete,
I think the weed eater type engines suffer mostly from crude carburetors and fuel filtration. Too easy to flood them at startup too.

I don’t have troubles w my OMC 4hp twin.
On one of my yard tools the clear rubber priming bulb rotted through and fell off!

...I wanted a simple outboard. I bought a used, like new 3.3 mercury 2 stroke. Very light and not much on it to break. I have better luck carb wise with two stroke small engines than with comparable 4 strokes.
We have a Mercury 2 stoke 3.3, bought new just as the axe fell, replacing a 2 stroke 6hpTohatsu. It hated the old fuel the Tohatsu liked,on fresh fuel it ran well. Now I use a fuel additive/stabilizer which it likes. Adequate for our inflatable, starts easily,light to handle,miserly on fuel.

Last edited:
We have a Mercury 3.3, bought new just as the axe fell, replacing a 6hpTohatsu. It hated the old fuel the Tohatsu liked,on fresh fuel it ran well. Now I use a fuel additive/stabilizer which it likes. Adequate for our inflatable, starts easily,light to handle,miserly on fuel.
4 stroke just gas compared to 2 stroke with mixed fuel? I can see it would not like old fuel mixed with oil.

I ran ethanol gas for many years being from CT. I never had a problem in 4 stroke or 2 stroke engines using ethanol gas after adding Stabil (or equivalent) to the fuel.
Th only thing I would do is let the engine run out of fuel at the end of the season, whether it was the outboard, lawn mower, or snowblower, etc.

There are many, many old 6 hp Evinrude/Johnson Fisherman engines out there from freshwater lakes for sale on Craigslist for about $350 that start on the 2nd pull cold, 1st pull warm that will not stop even running on crap fuel with water in it. Yep they smoke a little on startup but are 2 cylinder / 2 stroke smooth and as simple as it gets. 52# for a short shaft.
More power? Same with old J/E 9.9's but weigh more. The 7.5s are a nice compromise.

Last edited:
Yeah. I picked up a good condition used 15 HP Johnson, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke for my dingy which is rated for 20 HP. Weighs 72 pounds. Pull start, 1 carb, good compression. I've never had a problem with premix gumming the carbs on an outboard even with over a year old gas.

I just have to give a plug for my Hondas. While in Hawaii twice in different years, a major storm flipped over dink and sunk with the Honda 4 stroke on it back in Caif. The engine stayed 2-3 days under water each time before I could get back to it. All I did was hose down with fresh water, pull plugs, clean out cylinders with gas, drain oil, rinse with gas and add new oil. The engine fires up and is running today (5 years since last dunking). I have a 15, 30 and 50 hp, all 2000 yr vintage and have run on reg Costco gas their whole lives. They have my vote for that kind of reliability. I move the 15hp back and forth between my 13' Avon and as a kicker for my 22' center console. The 15hp is too heavy to pull off the dink without a davit. They are all built the same so shouldn't matter what horsepower you have for that reliability.

Back
Top Bottom