Old 10-06-2022, 02:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Cruising
Vessel Name: Möbius
Vessel Model: XPM 78-01
Our "new" Gardner engine on the dynamometer

We have spent the summer at Kalymnos Island in Greece - not a bad place to be "stuck" while dealing with issues with our Gardner engine. We finally decided to pull the engine and send it back to Gardner Marine Diesels in Canterbury, UK in exchange for one of their rebuilt engines. This is our pretty new one, Mr. Gee 2.0

Wayne recently flew to the UK to watch as they put the engine through the dynamometer testing. If you're a Gardner fan, here's the blog that explains all the math about torque, rpm, and propellor horse power with video, graphs and all: https://mobius.world/dynamometer-tes...pt-26-29-2022/
aka Christine Kling, author of sea adventures fiction
ChristineKling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #2
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
I would put that in my living room. Gosh it’s pretty.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #3
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP

Y’all sure were having lots of trouble with that original Gardner. Seems like Wayne has taken that engine apart/removed it more times than I can remember. I’m worn out just watching him.

Kudos to you two for being so understanding and calm during this long (over a year?) episode. I would be throwing things and screaming into the void and having a stoke probably.

But like you said, this extra time has been spent in a exceedingly lovely spot, and it’s given you time to heal your knees, see the grandkids, etc, so it’s not all bad obviously.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
I would put that in my living room. Gosh it’s pretty.
Aw, we sure feel the same. Thanks :-)
Old 10-06-2022, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Y’all sure were having lots of trouble with that original Gardner. Seems like Wayne has taken that engine apart/removed it more times than I can remember. I’m worn out just watching him.

Kudos to you two for being so understanding and calm during this long (over a year?) episode. I would be throwing things and screaming into the void and having a stoke probably.

But like you said, this extra time has been spent in a exceedingly lovely spot, and it’s given you time to heal your knees, see the grandkids, etc, so it’s not all bad obviously.
Hey, you’re absolutely right. It has been over a year and I feel so fortunate to be with Wayne who can manage all this and keep smiling. We just keep dealing with the issues one at a time. Whether you see boat stuff as a disaster or an adventure is all up to you. Wait until you see the next blog. We just got kicked out of Greece and has to leave Möbius behind with the engine en route! The adventure continues!
Old 10-06-2022, 10:30 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
If I recall correctly, this will the the THIRD iteration of the engine?!? The first was mishandled during break-in by the hired captain, but I thought Mike's people came out and did the rebuild? What happened to that one? I'm starting to get nervous about ours!
Really REALLY sorry to hear about your woes, especially that it appears that the new engine will be installed in your absence. Please keep us appraised of the situation. Scot
Old 10-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #7
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineKling View Post
Hey, you’re absolutely right. It has been over a year and I feel so fortunate to be with Wayne who can manage all this and keep smiling. We just keep dealing with the issues one at a time. Whether you see boat stuff as a disaster or an adventure is all up to you. Wait until you see the next blog. We just got kicked out of Greece and has to leave Möbius behind with the engine en route! The adventure continues!
OUCH! I read the engine update last night, which was awesome, but I was wondering about the down side that was mentioned.

I was wondering if you would run out of Schengen time before the engine was replaced.

Guess we will find out on the next installment of How The Mobius Turns.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #8
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
If I recall correctly, this will the the THIRD iteration of the engine?!? The first was mishandled during break-in by the hired captain, but I thought Mike's people came out and did the rebuild? What happened to that one? I'm starting to get nervous about ours!
Really REALLY sorry to hear about your woes, especially that it appears that the new engine will be installed in your absence. Please keep us appraised of the situation. Scot
The whole engine saga is on https://mobius.world/.

They have had some really odd problems that were frustrating for *** ME *** to read/follow. I can't even comprehend how frustrating it must be for Wayne and Christine.

They have swapped out the previous engine for a "new" one that just was shipped from Gardner. The latest post about the testing of the new engine was interesting.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineKling View Post

Holy smokes! I was wondering about the bad news that was coming on the next blog.

However, after seeing how well you two deal with everything else, I’m sure you will deal with this latest hiccup with aplomb. I look forward to reading about it.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:31 PM   #10
Guru

City: Belgium
Christine, purely in retrospect/hindsight, if you were doing it over again do you think it would have been more practical to just install an in-production mechanical engine (Cummins China, Doosan Korea, etc.) versus all the effort on the legendary Gardner?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 03:01 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It is indeed beautiful.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Christine, purely in retrospect/hindsight, if you were doing it over again do you think it would have been more practical to just install an in-production mechanical engine (Cummins China, Doosan Korea, etc.) versus all the effort on the legendary Gardner?

I thought one big reason they went with the Gardner is because it has no electronics to go out. IIRC they plan on cruising the world and Wayne wanted something he could totally work on himself?

I suppose they could have gone with an old school non-electric Cat or Cummins, but I don’t think they get the economy or have the low rpm torque like the Gardner does? Plus, they are not nearly as sexy.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
I thought one big reason they went with the Gardner is because it has no electronics to go out. IIRC they plan on cruising the world and Wayne wanted something he could totally work on himself?

I suppose they could have gone with an old school non-electric Cat or Cummins, but I don’t think they get the economy or have the low rpm torque like the Gardner does? Plus, they are not nearly as sexy.

Agreed, of the non-electronic options, the Gardner is probably the most efficient. Even most of the modern electronic turbo stuff isn't any more efficient than a Gardner.

Honestly, I wouldn't be scared of electronics for an application like that, but I'd want to make sure I could (at a semi-reasonable cost) buy the computer tools and all of the documentation to go with the engine. That way it would become DIY-able (provided parts are available as needed, like any other engine). I wouldn't want any engine where I'd be stuck relying on outside techs because I couldn't get the tools to diagnose it myself.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Yep, no engine is bulletproof. Some are a bit more desirable for reasons, but still no reason to think there will never be issues.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #15
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:

Economy is marginally better, but cost to purchase is likely higher negating fuel saving.
But reliability, easy access to parts and service in remote parts of the world are more important in my eyes if venturing further afield.

Previous owner of ours looked at a 6lxb repower but she would have been running at near full noise for 8 knots whereas the 855 Cummins he chose is hardly ticking over.
Parts are plentiful online and here in days, cheap
And I feel confident I can get it worked on pretty much anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I do love a Gardner and an 8lxb would have been a more suitable candidate for ours, but I'd hate to be stuck in Indonesia for example needing a part or something done and for that reason I am glad of the choice made for repower on ours.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #16
Guru

Good points. I didn’t think about how those Gardner parts are harder to come by in most remote locations.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:53 PM   #17
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Good points. I didn’t think about how those Gardner parts are harder to come by in most remote locations.
Even near civilisation.
People we know with an 8lxb were chasing a heat exchanger for a year or more for their vessel.

I could have a new one landed in a week for the 855.
Could likely track down 2nd hand in similar timeframe.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
You ask a good question, and it is one we have asked ourselves many times. But in the end, we have come to the conclusion that the things that happened to us and our engine were Black Swan events.

"A black swan is an unpredictable event that is beyond what is normally expected of a situation and has potentially severe consequences. Black swan events are characterized by their extreme rarity, severe impact, and the widespread insistence they were obvious in hindsight."

As humans, we like to look for patterns, especially in hindsight. The hundreds of thousands of Gardner engines that are out there providing dependable service are a testament to the engines' reliability. For all brands of engines, shit happens. We have just been unlucky enough to see more than our share.

When we arrived in Kalymnos, we asked ourselves if we wanted to go with a different engine and gave it some serious thought. In the end, the answer was no. We still have faith in the mighty Gardner.
aka Christine Kling, author of sea adventures fiction
Old 10-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #19

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
black swan event ?

Can't say I had ever heard that term being applied before - black swan event - as in rare - there's tens of thousands here. Just a drive along any fresh waterway you see them.
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:03 PM   #20
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't be scared of electronics for an application like that, but I'd want to make sure I could (at a semi-reasonable cost) buy the computer tools and all of the documentation to go with the engine. That way it would become DIY-able (provided parts are available as needed, like any other engine). I wouldn't want any engine where I'd be stuck relying on outside techs because I couldn't get the tools to diagnose it myself.
I think these days the solution is remote monitoring and diagnostics. As long as you have an internet connection the electronics can be accessed remotely. You're fully reliant on outside techs, but they're available online 24/7.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote