Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 AM   #1

City: Perth
Opinions on Yanmar 3gmd

Hi guys,
Iam interested in purchasing a FD boat with a Yanmar 3 GMD ('97 year)diesel motor.

If any members here have had experience with this size/model engine I would appreciate their comments. I am interested in hearing of your opinions - both good and bad concerning reputation, parts availability -anything really that you want to vent your speen about !!

For whoever is interested in what boat it's in :-
The boat is a Fibreglass FD motor sailer. Length 8 metres (24ft) waterline and beam of around 2.5 mts.
Total displacement of 1500kg (3307lbs)
It is balasted with 500kg of lead.
There is a warranty with engine and 10 hrs engine hours (sea trials).
Attached Thumbnails
bp5705981806083521654.jpg  
Attached Images

bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
Guru

I had a sailboat, Erwin 34', with a Yanmar 3GMF. Very good engine, I did nothing to it in the 6 yrs I owned it other than change the oil.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #3

Thx Tim,
That's a recommendation if ever I heard one !!!
I guess what my main concern about this engine is the "raw" seawater cooling.
I wouldn't imagine the diesel engine in my Toyota Landcruiser would last very long with salt water flowing through the cooling system.
Was wondering how long/many hours one could expect before some costly replacements parts were called for.
Brett
Old 01-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
They are in many Albin 25s. Qwners all love the engine.
I had a 3HM35F (34hp) and it was a good engine.

That boat dosn't look much like a motorsailer. Is it Scandinavian? They like aft cabins.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I had that engine in one of the sailboats I owned. The engine was great but the raw water exhaust did clog up once and caused the engine to get hot. Did not hurt the engine. had to remove the exhaust manifold and the elbow and clean. No problem after that. Worse case I would think if this did happen the parts would not be to bad if you had to buy new. That is as long as you catch the overheat. The engine control panel on mine had a very loud alarm to let you know about the overheat.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Guru

By the way it was totally sea water cooled and it was an 1983 engine and this happened in 1998 or so. sold it in 99 for a bigger boat.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #7

Hi Manyboats,
I did use a liberal dose of licence when I called it a motorsailor. Of course I should of known those knowing better would find me out.
She was built in Australia to a Finnish design and was produced with a 7 metre mast.
Anyhow that's really beside the point of the posting. As im a pretty much a newbie to anything but outboard motors I know squat about these "Raw seawater" cooled inboards. Was kindda concerned what life I can expect from a 'raw' motor before corrosion etc.
Attached is a pic of her with a mast and sail as produced
Attached Thumbnails
finn8 1.jpg   finn8 14.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
Guru

As far as life expectancy I had a perkins 4-108 in the next sailboat and it was all raw water cooled. It was a 1982 and it was still running great two years ago when I sold the boat. No issues at all with the cooling on the engine. It was used alot. Not sure if it was left setting for long period if that would affect it but that affects fresh water cooled also. I was sceptical also but it never let me down.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
Guru

My 3 GMF was freshwater cooled with a raw water heat exchanger. Probably what the F meant.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Engines designed for sea water direct cooling, like Yanmar and Volvo- tend to have pretty long service lives. They put enough meat in the castings to handle the expected corrosion. How long??? Good question. On the Volvos, little coolant passages clog and force you to take it apart to clean. Things like that.

How old is the Yanmar? Make sure you run it a good while at full power to make sure it does not overheat. If it stays cool with good water flow out the exhaust, at least you know cooling system is not clogged.

Take an oil sample to check for sodium- that is your hint that sea water is getting past the head gasket into the oil. Kiss of death, there, as a new gasket probably won't seal either due to corroded castings.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
Guru

bogranjac1,
Like the boat a lot and the engine too. Other than an OB I wouldn't mess w a seawater cooled engine but many run them. I flush my OBs every chance I get too. My inboard diesel has her seawater cooled heat exchanger on a bulkhead just aft of the engine. No seawater on or in the engine at all. I made a point of installing my engine w that feature. My Yanmar was fresh water cooled but leaked seawater down onto the fuel injector shaft from the heat exchanger in the exhaust manifold and caused it to become hard to turn. That experience led me to the remote heat exchanger in my present boat.

The mast and sail on that boat is most likely a steadying sail. Looks like it could make use of it too. I was thinking about a steadying sail well aft to reduce swinging at anchor.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I like those Finn 8's. Unusual layout with the forward cockpit, but they'd be great as long as you didn't get a wave over the bow.

Re: the raw water cooled engines - I am just re-powering my boat after the 32 year old volvo md17 has finally rotted out. Its been great up until now, and I'd rebuild if parts were readily available. This engine was purpose built as a raw water cooled engine with a very heavy block.

I don't have any Yanmar experience, but double check on the year of that engine. I think the 3GMD's were built in the early 80's, and discontinued about 1983, so that 1997 date may not be correct.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #13

HI Auscan,
Nice to hear from you again hope you are in Aussie enjoying your break.
The engine numbers supplied to me were - 02462 97 - which lead me to the assumption that the 97 was year of production. The owner tells me that the boat is 1999 built, so that kindda fitted.

Ski, The owner tells me the boat engine and g/box warranty from the reconditioning has expired from time however the motor has only 12 hours use (sea trials) he claims - like breaking time I guess?
So i'm thinking would a motor with limited life (block and water jackets suspect)be put to the expense of reconditioning.
My real issue is never had this type of engine before, never had a boat like this before. Wanted to hear opinions from members on this brand and type of motors reliability.
Only had dinghys with outboards previously that were flushed with fresh water immediately after use.

Manyboats, I was thinking along the lines of a mast mounted on the front top of the aft cabin and sail over the cabin, like whats seen on the rear of a ketch or yawl. There's an large opening at back of aft cabin where I could control the boom/ sheets etc.
Do you think it would sail into the wind with the mast and sail so far backwards from the centre of the boat?
Just being able to sail downwind and steadying would be nice.
Will post a pic of the rear opening of aft cabin where I trim from.The rear hatch folds back a sectin of the lower roof also.
She has a cute 'derriere' eh?

regards Brett
Attached Thumbnails
bp5408092731380107465.jpg   bp4728370606455307323.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 10:56 PM   #14
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
HI Auscan,
Nice to hear from you again hope you are in Aussie enjoying your break.
The engine numbers supplied to me were - 02462 97 - which lead me to the assumption that the 97 was year of production. The owner tells me that the boat is 1999 built, so that kindda fitted.

regards Brett
Yes- Had a nice break back in Adelaide. Back to work tomorrow to pay for my engine replacement.

Check out this webpage Yanmar Marine Engine Identification Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts
for Yanmar model number details.
If it's a 3GM30 it could be a later model, as they built them up until 2005.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:03 AM   #15

Auscan
It appears that 3GMD is a 22hp produced 1980-83. The owner says it's the original motor - seems a bit odd too me that the engine is 17 years older than the boat?
Might have to dig deeper with the serial numbers - 02464 97
regards for link
Brett
Attached Thumbnails
bp5185002226031376665.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
Guru

bogranjac1,
Yes I agree. She looks slack in the stern and somewhat full in the bow. A fish form hull. Probably should have the stick and rag fwd.

Can't see much of the bottom but if she is FD only about 15hp would be needed. Almost looks like a flat bottom in a way. Is it possible she's a dory? With seawater cooling running the Yanmar at 1/3 load may be good to keep her cool and minimize the cyl salting. May have been a plan.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #17

Manyboats,
Here's a better shot of her bottom ......... LOL , nice curves actually with a rather sharp keel throughout and being more pronounced toward the rear.
I read somewhere long keels help a boat track/steer better undersail ?
A sail positioned over the aft cabin with boom extending to rear hatch would with main sheets and block attended to from rear hatch would be perfect.
Looks like sits nice and level in the water judged from the second pic.
regards
brett
Attached Thumbnails
bp4719592687312083621.jpg   finn8 21.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #18
Guru

Brett,
Nice boat. I really do like her. And she sits on her lines very nicely. This is the kind of boat I should have. Never seen one like this. She should be in the "Interesting Boats" thread. The helm is far fwd so you may not like the ride at times. I'd love to watch her wake from the cockpit. Is the engine half in the cockpit and half in the cabin? And is she settled on her trailer in the usual manner or is this a temporary arrangement. Launching bow first w an inboard seems problematic. So when are you going to take her?

Old 01-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #19
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The helm is aft!! I think!!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. mb. To my eye she's sitting in a stern launch position on the trailer unless she has a prop on the bow.