Old 11-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The owner of SMS came to my boat to help diagnose a dampner plate issue. The engine shop across the street couldn't make it that day so Mr Hank Hinkley who ran the marina where I was suggested SMS. SMS owner (cant find his card right now)came right after lunch and stayed for over 2 hours. We chatted up Lehmans...he was as knowledgeable about them as anyone else I have ever spoken to or read.

After 2 hours of runs and tests...and unable to duplicate symptoms....he said he thought it could be a dampner and agreed with 2 other marine engineers that running it till failure shouldn't be an issue. I made it over 500 miles, 16 miles from my home dock before it quit. Towed myself home the next day with the assistance towboat I ran. Good deal for me to reapair at my leisure and home dock.

Even after the 2 hrs of diagnosing and lots of free knowledge and advice...he packed up and refused payment....what a guy! Took care of him anyway as he was worth staying on his good side.

Would recommend SMS anytime...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Meridian 391
How many hours were on the original pump? Are people getting 2000 hours plus from their onan pumps?
Barabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #23

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Model: Albin/Tricabin
Onan genset raw water pump failure

We own a 49 foot Albin Tri-cabin trawler in the PNW with a 1985 7kw Onan genset with 2800 hours on it. Days before you all posted this thread the raw water pump in our genset quit pumping water. Jim replaced the damaged impeller, the pump still did not pump raw water. He tested the thru-hull fitting by back-flushing, no blockage was found. With closer inspection and after reading this thread, Jim realized that wear on the cast bronze end-plate might be excessive enough to cause the problem. He cut a piece of stainless steel to reface the cast bronze end-plate. He could not flip the end-plate because of the casting on the exterior. Unfortunately, the fabricated stainless steel plate did not fix the pumping problem. Jim was not going to be defeated by this simple pump... he removed the pump to determine why it wasn't working. He found the end of the cam inside the pump housing was completely worn away. Jim researched online to find a replacement cam for the pump and found the replacement cam through a parts supplier specializing in obsolete and discontinued pump parts. While looking online he did find replacement pumps for around $500! No Way! He ordered and installed the cam, and reinstalled the pump yesterday, and viola', it worked instantly and was less expensive than the blue Mandalorian cookies in Chapter 12! Thank you for sharing your boating experiences with all of us on Trawler Forum, it has been helpful!
Attached Thumbnails
20201107_150625.jpg   20201127_125710.jpg   20201127_125851.jpg   20201127_124659.jpg  
Boat4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote