Old 05-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #41

City: Coastal SC
Vessel Model: Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm guessing the problem was a cable that got knocked loose, probably by someone who you paid to fix something else.
On the offhand chance the end of your sentence was supposed to imply I often pay for mechanical or electrical boat related services, nothing could be further from the case. I only employed a mechanic this time as the boat is for sale, and part of the contract was that the generators be "certified" by an Onan repair facility !

I suspected it would be a complete waste of money from the get go, but nonetheless agreed just to get the contract thru. Only later I find out the mechanic was highly suspect in his knowledge base, especially on the electrical end of things. But at least the buyer got his "proof" the generators are in excellent condition.

As an aside, all I ever got was a credit card charge for $730.... no invoice explaining the hours, O ring costs, nothing. An email to the company about this received no response.

The mechanic spent less than 3 total hours on the boat. Travel time I would estimate at maximum 45 minutes x 4 (2 trips) but it should have been 45 x 2, since the second trip should have been completely unnecessary if he simply had the O ring with him, or went to the hardware store* just 2.5 miles away to fetch one.

Amazing, isn't it ?

========

*This Tru Value hardware store has the motherlode selection of O rings, btw. I went there on Thursday for something else and while there asked to see what they had in O rings which confirmed what I suspected.

Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #42
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
On the offhand chance the end of your sentence was supposed to imply I often pay for mechanical or electrical boat related services, nothing could be further from the case. I only employed a mechanic this time as the boat is for sale, and part of the contract was that the generators be "certified" by an Onan repair facility !

I suspected it would be a complete waste of money from the get go, but nonetheless agreed just to get the contract thru. Only later I find out the mechanic was highly suspect in his knowledge base, especially on the electrical end of things. But at least the buyer got his "proof" the generators are in excellent condition.

As an aside, all I ever got was a credit card charge for $730.... no invoice explaining the hours, O ring costs, nothing. An email to the company about this received no response.

The mechanic spent less than 3 total hours on the boat. Travel time I would estimate at maximum 45 minutes x 4 (2 trips) but it should have been 45 x 2, since the second trip should have been completely unnecessary if he simply had the O ring with him, or went to the hardware store* just 2.5 miles away to fetch one.

Amazing, isn't it ?

========

*This Tru Value hardware store has the motherlode selection of O rings, btw. I went there on Thursday for something else and while there asked to see what they had in O rings which confirmed what I suspected.
Our local Ace hardware has a large number of O-rings. And a good selection of SS nuts and bolts. But much better prices for nuts and bolts is at York Bolt.
York bolt is more than 50% cheaper than Ace hardware.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...lWAWQQoioIdTAK

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #43
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
If these o rings are the ones at the top of the injector pump (common issue with Onan) I was told to use OEM rings. But they were $10 each.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Our local Ace hardware has a large number of O-rings. And a good selection of SS nuts and bolts. But much better prices for nuts and bolts is at York Bolt.
York bolt is more than 50% cheaper than Ace hardware.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...lWAWQQoioIdTAK
Good to know but in this case I don't think I would have fretted too much about paying 39 cents for an O ring that would have saved hundreds of dollars vs another trip ! Plus it was needed immediately.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
If these o rings are the ones at the top of the injector pump (common issue with Onan) I was told to use OEM rings. But they were $10 each.
Told by who ? If told by someone like my guy, it would be meaningless. But this one was on the left side, probably just for bleeding purposes as the steel fitting screwed in. There was a small leak there and it did need replacement but had absolutely nothing to do with my generator not starting.

As an aside, McMaster Carr sells O ring "kits" that are comprised of various O ring diameter strands and a special plastic holder that allow fitting in the strand of proper diameter and cutting a straight cut with razor blade. Then the ends are glued together with "crazy glue"....which amazingly, does hold rubber or butyl of that composion probably better than it holds anything. If you were to stretch an O ring glued together in that way until it broke it would probably break somewhere other than at the glue joint.

Of course it would still be better to have a purpose sized and diesel resistant O ring but in this case, for example it would have solved the leakage for weeks until the exact right O ring was obtained.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #46
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Hardware store o-rings are generally nitrile rubber and rated at 80 deg C. (176 deg F)
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #47
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Some O rings are not compatible witg fuels. They may fit and seal for a while. Then you are back where you started.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote