ok, here we go, whats better, a perkins or a lehman and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Floyd,
How do you "inspect" a heat exchanger or oil cooler? I don't see how one could "see" when one was about to fail?

I think I'll replace my oil cooler this spring. Been 7 years.

Good question Eric and one that has already come to mind as a result of this thread. With my past experiance the first idea was to measure in "H2O the presure drop accross the oil cooler. A new oil cooler without any corrosion should have the least presure drop because the inside surfaces are smooth but as metal is corroded creating a rough surface which I suspect will impede the flow of water. Modern high dollar yatchs have monitoring systems that will warm of impeding failures allowing the captain to make the repair before breakdown. I'm thinking it would be all that had to monitor the critical engine system parts that could leave one dead in the water enabling parts to be replaced before failure. You would need to measure exhaust temp at the manifold and ......welll maybe i should start another thred to seek input from experianced salts for ideas of what systems are the ones most likely to fail and then go from there. First glance says it wouldnt be all that dificult to retrofit a monitoring system complete with alarms. The dificult part will be determining what parameters if met will likely end in failure for a given component.

So we conclude that both are similar. The benefit of old low tech can not be overstated if you cruise in out of the way places. I personally get much confidence knowing that when the **** hits the fan I can probably fix it. That is lessened with twins. As to your opinion that Lehman may have a parts advantage might be factored by price if that matters to you. There are significantly more perkins engines in ag equipment that Ford. So cheaper ag parts for a Perkins are probably more available. If your goal is parts availability consider a cat or deere, particularly cat at least in the states.

Good point Capn Craig, thanks, i hadnt considered that. So the pendalum may be swinging the other way. But the truth is they are both two of the best power systems out there and most certainly would likely be voted as the most reliable, period. I think a vessel with either one is a plus and deciding factors would be maintenence records engine hours vessel over all condition not the engine brand.

Floyd,
How do you "inspect" a heat exchanger or oil cooler? I don't see how one could "see" when one was about to fail?

I think Lehman recommend replacing oil coolers at 2000 hours but don`t recall an "hours" advice on servicing main heat exchangers. Too many other factors perhaps? Every 5 years was my understanding for them.
Other thoughts anyone?

Floyd,

"Inspect" covers a wide variety of applications. You can visually inspect my two oil coolers and heat exchanger.

Preventative maintenance, which includes visual inspections, is the key.

I saw your pix Hendo, thanks, and the perkins looked pretty easy as far as assembly goes. But I'll bet your perkins really didnt need a rebuild but i like the idea of new injectors and pump. Oil coolers heat exchengers Bomac recomends replaceing every two years. Bomac is a Ford Lehman engine rebuilder. I asked about the oil cooler and heat exchanger replacement and here at the forum folks saidthey replace them only when needed. Humm, does that mean most wait until they fail to replace? I'm not into breakdowns so would likely take them out and inspect them at least every other year to be safe.

Nah didn't need the rebuild but I'm an anal bastard and wanted to know she was sound and not just rely on a compression check and oil scan.

Glad I've done it tho :-D

Floyd,
How do you "inspect" a heat exchanger or oil cooler? I don't see how one could "see" when one was about to fail? I think I'll replace my oil cooler this spring. Been 7 years.

I can tell you how you can tell Eric. It illustrates the worth of having a quick squissy ( Ozspeak for look), at the engine when started each time if possible. I went down one day, not long after we had quite a long outing in the boat, and while checking the engine prior to starting it, noticed a water drip near one end of the tranny oil cooler, ( same as the engine oil cooler), and when I started it, water squirted out from a failing end join, which had finally corroded through. Next step was mechanic assessment. Ended up needing new oil cooler, new heat exchanger, and new exhaust elbow, because the exhaust elbow was touching the heat exchanger, and the point of contact corroded. Needless to say, now all coolers replaced and no contact that should not be contacting. That's how you tell....expensively. I think your plan is good.

"squissy" ... "( Ozspeak for look)" ... I'da never thunk. Well since my coolers don't have sea water in them they should last much longer than 7 years I'm think'in. And I think my main heat exchanger that I mounted on a bulkhead should be OK too as it's considerably protected by the pencil zincs. Interesting about the touchy/contact thing. I'll go have a quick squissy and see if there's any touchy/feely things going on w my coolers. Thanks Peter.

Last edited:
Floyd,
If I was a loyal customer of Bomac since my Willy was new I'd have gone through
39 heat exchangers and 78 oil coolers to this point in Willy's long life.

Looks like Bomac is pushing as much product as they can.

Last edited:
That sure doesn't look like a Perkins. There's no oil dripping from it, or what I like to call 'external lubrication'. And no Perkins Patina, aka rust...

Now that, FlyWright, was funny. External lubrication....I'm keeping that as my own!:thumb:

Floyd,
If I was a loyal customer of Bomac since my Willy was new I'd have gone through
39 heat exchangers and 78 oil coolers to this point in Willy's long life.

Looks like Bomac is pushing as much product as they can.

:rofl:..thats funny... and I questioned there recomendation with most people saying they didnt replace them untill they failed or there was sign that they were abot to fail. I think i can devise a system that will warm of impending failure. After i get done with this rental house, my sisters old house, I will see what i can come up with. The sheriff did the wwalk thr9ough today so i changed the locks:)....should sell the place but .2% interest in the bank makes the $1,000 per month on a property worth $200,000 look pretty attractive.

Back
Top Bottom