Old 03-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Here is what I have on my FL135's for oil changes. Pics below. PO used manual system and the hoses have a 3/8" diameter opening which is too small. Need to increase internal diameter to 1/2" or better yet 5/8". The hoses in the pictures seem very substantial (over kill?). The wire reinforcing can be seen in the pic. Hose seems to be directly connected to the oil drain plug and not held on with a clamp. What is my best approach to changing this to a larger hose? Do I need to change the drain plug?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0530b.jpg   IMG_0528b.jpg   IMG_0529b.jpg  

firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If it were mine, I would unscrew the Banjo bolt that holds the swivel to the oil pan. That bolt should be a straight (not pipe ) thread, probably the same as the oil pan plug. Take the hose and the bolt to a hydraulics shop. Tell them you want a fitting to screw (and seal) in the hole where the bolt came out, turn 90 degrees, and become 1/2" id hose or have 1/2" hose barb. They should be able to hook you up.

Btw, you want a good quality hose, but it doesn't need to be 3,000 psi rated hydraulic hose.

Anyway, that's what I would do. Your milage may vary; past performance doesn't guarantee future results; I can only be held liable to the amount of the fee you prepaid for this opinion.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:09 PM   #23
Guru

Thanks Ted. Is there a gasket/washer in place on the banjo bolt, either between the oil pan and the swivel fitting or the head of the bolt and the swivel?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Thanks Ted. Is there a gasket/washer in place on the banjo bolt, either between the oil pan and the swivel fitting or the head of the bolt and the swivel?
Typically a swivel and banjo bolt have copper compression rings on either side of the swivel. I think I see that copper compression washer between the bolt and the swivel. Between the swivel and the oil pan, it looks more like some form of rubber gasket.

In that application, I would be happier with a nylon washer. That oil pan won't probably stand the torquing required to crush seat the copper washer. The good news is no oil pressure, so sealing is pretty easy.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #25
Guru

How is the hose connected to the fitting? Threaded? Compressed? I am beginning to doubt my Reverso pump purchase. According to American Diesel this system won't work as the inside diameter of the fitting is not wide enough. Too powerful a pump. According to Brian I can't upsize to a 1/2" inner diameter hose. I believe him...almost. If I can't get this to work I will have a Reverso 300 series with 5 ports available for purchase. New in box! Should have just gone with simpler. Which everyone already knowed....but little old me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0530b.jpg