Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Guru
 
firstbase's Avatar
 
City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,525
Oil filter equivalent

Would like to upgrade my Fram PH8A oil filters on my FL 135's and was looking at good ratings on the Mobile 1 filters. The cross reference charts I find show nothing compatible but I see comments referencing the Mobile 1 M1-301. One even said that the PH8A is listed on the M1-301 box. Other choice is the NAPA Platinum 41515. Hopefully I don't star an oil filter war... just feel like I could do better than the Fram.
__________________
Advertisement

firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Guru
 
Heron's Avatar
 
City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,303
Look at YouTube cutaways/reviews of Frams. You'll never use one again. I'm a fan of the Napa's and use them for both oil and fuel. No cardboard internals, much larger filtration area etc. Your mileage may vary..
__________________

__________________
Steve
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Guru
 
firstbase's Avatar
 
City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,525
That's exactly what happened. Getting ready to change oil and thought I would investigate a little and didn't like what I saw so...looking for a replacement. I know the two I mentioned are triple the cost of others but no big deal given how often they are changed and I don't think this is an area to save money on.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
City: Washington
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 468
What filter is the engine supposed to use? What does the owners manual recommend?

I use WIX filters. They are pretty good.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,271
Oil filter equivalent

Rockauto will show you compatible models

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=PH8A

Used fram, wix, acdelco, mahle and mann and never saw any difference neither on boat or on my cars

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Look at YouTube cutaways/reviews of Frams. You'll never use one again. I'm a fan of the Napa's and use them for both oil and fuel. No cardboard internals, much larger filtration area etc. Your mileage may vary..
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
What filter is the engine supposed to use? What does the owners manual recommend?

I use WIX filters. They are pretty good.
NAPA filters are made by WIX. WIX also builds for OEM. A Deere and a WiX filter are identical down to the internal stamp marks, just different exterior paint. You will also find WIX makes all kinds of fuel filters like the ones on my Deere, the Kabota engine in my Onan generator, and the final fuel filters on my B And C series Cummins engines.

Fleetfilters.com is a good source for them. They and WIX have online converts to cross most other brands to WiX filters.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
City: Washington
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 468
I would suggest cross-referencing from the original. Unless the manufacturer recommended the Fram, I wouldn't cross-reference from that.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
Guru
 
firstbase's Avatar
 
City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
What filter is the engine supposed to use? What does the owners manual recommend?

I use WIX filters. They are pretty good.
All the Owners Manual says is to use a "Full flow, disposable cartridge, spin on." These are 1987 FL SP135's. Fram's were on the engines when I bought it 11 months ago.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
Guru
 
firstbase's Avatar
 
City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
NAPA filters are made by WIX. WIX also builds for OEM. A Deere and a WiX filter are identical down to the internal stamp marks, just different exterior paint. You will also find WIX makes all kinds of fuel filters like the ones on my Deere, the Kabota engine in my Onan generator, and the final fuel filters on my B And C series Cummins engines.

Fleetfilters.com is a good source for them. They and WIX have online converts to cross most other brands to WiX filters.

Ted
From what I have read, to say one brand is bad totally is incorrect as the manufacturers like WIX build to different standards. One may be great while another not so much. If I remember right there are only 3 major companies that make all of the filters. Again, to different standards. Color. Logos. I believe the WIX 41515 is the exact same as the NAPA Platinum 1515.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
BIG CAT's Avatar
 
City: Kiln,MS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 457
Motorcraft FL1A
K&n hp-3001.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
Guru
 
Russell Clifton's Avatar
 
City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 813
I use the Napa (1515) ( made by Wix)on my Sp135's. These are Ford diesel's and these are regular Ford filters they have used for many years. You can usually find a NAPA store in every small or large town, anywhere in the US.

I worked for in the auto parts business for over 35 years and have sold hundreds of them.

You guys are absolutely right about Fram being all cardboard inside. Million's of dollars spent on marketing gets lots of filters sold, no matter what the quality is.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,577
I’m pretty sure that PH8A is an oil filter designed for ford passenger cars. You can try cross referencing it to Baldwin filters. I use wix, Baldwin and cats because of the ease to acquire but i’ve never Seen an oil filter fail when changed out every 100 hours.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,536
Fleetguard has an excellent cross reference tool, and they are another quality brand. Google cummins filtration and you should find it.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #14
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
From what I have read, to say one brand is bad totally is incorrect as the manufacturers like WIX build to different standards. One may be great while another not so much. If I remember right there are only 3 major companies that make all of the filters. Again, to different standards. Color. Logos. I believe the WIX 41515 is the exact same as the NAPA Platinum 1515.
Not sure what you're saying or implying. It is my understanding that WIX filters meet or exceed OEM standards. If you disagree, please provide a link to your information source.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #15
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
I use the Napa (1515) ( made by Wix)on my Sp135's. These are Ford diesel's and these are regular Ford filters they have used for many years. You can usually find a NAPA store in every small or large town, anywhere in the US.

I worked for in the auto parts business for over 35 years and have sold hundreds of them.

You guys are absolutely right about Fram being all cardboard inside. Million's of dollars spent on marketing gets lots of filters sold, no matter what the quality is.
No, not all Fram filters are all cardboard inside. Their Ultra Synthetic model uses dual-layer synthetic media. Lots of misinformation out there on Fram filters. That Youtube stuff is old news perpetrated by the uninformed. My choice, however, is Amsoil filters but my second choise would be a Fram synthetic media filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
I would suggest cross-referencing from the original. Unless the manufacturer recommended the Fram, I wouldn't cross-reference from that.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #16
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Im pretty sure that PH8A is an oil filter designed for ford passenger cars. You can try cross referencing it to Baldwin filters. I use wix, Baldwin and cats because of the ease to acquire but ive never Seen an oil filter fail when changed out every 100 hours.
No, the PH8A is not designed for Fords. Where do folks get these ideas? Filters, all filters, have a thread and body size. If it fits, use it as long as it has a by-pass valve ( most do) if your engine requires a by-pass valve.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
BIG CAT's Avatar
 
City: Kiln,MS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Im pretty sure that PH8A is an oil filter designed for ford passenger cars. You can try cross referencing it to Baldwin filters. I use wix, Baldwin and cats because of the ease to acquire but ive never Seen an oil filter fail when changed out every 100 hours.
Most domestic v8's pre 1990's used that size filter. It will cross to many different mfg and should be able to get just about anywhere. Baldwin numbers a b2.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #18
Guru
 
Russell Clifton's Avatar
 
City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 813
The Fram PH8A is definitely a Ford car and truck filter. I was selling them back in the early 70's until I retired in 2009. They may have made some improvements since then. They needed to!!

Fit the 260,289,302,351,352,360,390,428,429,460, engines. Also some early Chrysler. Doesn't fit today's vehicles as the manufactures have gone to much smaller filters on most of their models.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #19
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,310
There was previous discussion of this and a useful video posted of a guy reviewing a number of brands of filters, including cutting them open to compare and evaluate. Someone with more time might be able to locate it.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 107
I've always used NAPA filters in my cars, trucks and boats. I know a lot of people put down the Fram filters, but if they are really as bad as so many people say how come they are still in business after all these years?
__________________

kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×