Old 03-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Oil filter equivalent

Would like to upgrade my Fram PH8A oil filters on my FL 135's and was looking at good ratings on the Mobile 1 filters. The cross reference charts I find show nothing compatible but I see comments referencing the Mobile 1 M1-301. One even said that the PH8A is listed on the M1-301 box. Other choice is the NAPA Platinum 41515. Hopefully I don't star an oil filter war... just feel like I could do better than the Fram.

firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Look at YouTube cutaways/reviews of Frams. You'll never use one again. I'm a fan of the Napa's and use them for both oil and fuel. No cardboard internals, much larger filtration area etc. Your mileage may vary..

Old 03-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Guru

That's exactly what happened. Getting ready to change oil and thought I would investigate a little and didn't like what I saw so...looking for a replacement. I know the two I mentioned are triple the cost of others but no big deal given how often they are changed and I don't think this is an area to save money on.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #4

City: Washington
What filter is the engine supposed to use? What does the owners manual recommend?

I use WIX filters. They are pretty good.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Oil filter equivalent

Rockauto will show you compatible models

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=PH8A

Used fram, wix, acdelco, mahle and mann and never saw any difference neither on boat or on my cars

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Look at YouTube cutaways/reviews of Frams. You'll never use one again. I'm a fan of the Napa's and use them for both oil and fuel. No cardboard internals, much larger filtration area etc. Your mileage may vary..
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
What filter is the engine supposed to use? What does the owners manual recommend?

NAPA filters are made by WIX. WIX also builds for OEM. A Deere and a WiX filter are identical down to the internal stamp marks, just different exterior paint. You will also find WIX makes all kinds of fuel filters like the ones on my Deere, the Kabota engine in my Onan generator, and the final fuel filters on my B And C series Cummins engines.

Fleetfilters.com is a good source for them. They and WIX have online converts to cross most other brands to WiX filters.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #7

City: Washington
I would suggest cross-referencing from the original. Unless the manufacturer recommended the Fram, I wouldn't cross-reference from that.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:

All the Owners Manual says is to use a "Full flow, disposable cartridge, spin on." These are 1987 FL SP135's. Fram's were on the engines when I bought it 11 months ago.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
NAPA filters are made by WIX. WIX also builds for OEM. A Deere and a WiX filter are identical down to the internal stamp marks, just different exterior paint. You will also find WIX makes all kinds of fuel filters like the ones on my Deere, the Kabota engine in my Onan generator, and the final fuel filters on my B And C series Cummins engines.

Fleetfilters.com is a good source for them. They and WIX have online converts to cross most other brands to WiX filters.

Ted
From what I have read, to say one brand is bad totally is incorrect as the manufacturers like WIX build to different standards. One may be great while another not so much. If I remember right there are only 3 major companies that make all of the filters. Again, to different standards. Color. Logos. I believe the WIX 41515 is the exact same as the NAPA Platinum 1515.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #10

City: Kiln,MS
Motorcraft FL1A
K&n hp-3001.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I use the Napa (1515) ( made by Wix)on my Sp135's. These are Ford diesel's and these are regular Ford filters they have used for many years. You can usually find a NAPA store in every small or large town, anywhere in the US.

I worked for in the auto parts business for over 35 years and have sold hundreds of them.

You guys are absolutely right about Fram being all cardboard inside. Million's of dollars spent on marketing gets lots of filters sold, no matter what the quality is.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I’m pretty sure that PH8A is an oil filter designed for ford passenger cars. You can try cross referencing it to Baldwin filters. I use wix, Baldwin and cats because of the ease to acquire but i’ve never Seen an oil filter fail when changed out every 100 hours.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Fleetguard has an excellent cross reference tool, and they are another quality brand. Google cummins filtration and you should find it.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
From what I have read, to say one brand is bad totally is incorrect as the manufacturers like WIX build to different standards. One may be great while another not so much. If I remember right there are only 3 major companies that make all of the filters. Again, to different standards. Color. Logos. I believe the WIX 41515 is the exact same as the NAPA Platinum 1515.
Not sure what you're saying or implying. It is my understanding that WIX filters meet or exceed OEM standards. If you disagree, please provide a link to your information source.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #15
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
I use the Napa (1515) ( made by Wix)on my Sp135's. These are Ford diesel's and these are regular Ford filters they have used for many years. You can usually find a NAPA store in every small or large town, anywhere in the US.

I worked for in the auto parts business for over 35 years and have sold hundreds of them.

You guys are absolutely right about Fram being all cardboard inside. Million's of dollars spent on marketing gets lots of filters sold, no matter what the quality is.
No, not all Fram filters are all cardboard inside. Their Ultra Synthetic model uses dual-layer synthetic media. Lots of misinformation out there on Fram filters. That Youtube stuff is old news perpetrated by the uninformed. My choice, however, is Amsoil filters but my second choise would be a Fram synthetic media filter.
Quote:
I would suggest cross-referencing from the original. Unless the manufacturer recommended the Fram, I wouldn't cross-reference from that.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #16
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Im pretty sure that PH8A is an oil filter designed for ford passenger cars. You can try cross referencing it to Baldwin filters. I use wix, Baldwin and cats because of the ease to acquire but ive never Seen an oil filter fail when changed out every 100 hours.
No, the PH8A is not designed for Fords. Where do folks get these ideas? Filters, all filters, have a thread and body size. If it fits, use it as long as it has a by-pass valve ( most do) if your engine requires a by-pass valve.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #17

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Im pretty sure that PH8A is an oil filter designed for ford passenger cars. You can try cross referencing it to Baldwin filters. I use wix, Baldwin and cats because of the ease to acquire but ive never Seen an oil filter fail when changed out every 100 hours.
Most domestic v8's pre 1990's used that size filter. It will cross to many different mfg and should be able to get just about anywhere. Baldwin numbers a b2.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #18
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
The Fram PH8A is definitely a Ford car and truck filter. I was selling them back in the early 70's until I retired in 2009. They may have made some improvements since then. They needed to!!

Fit the 260,289,302,351,352,360,390,428,429,460, engines. Also some early Chrysler. Doesn't fit today's vehicles as the manufactures have gone to much smaller filters on most of their models.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
There was previous discussion of this and a useful video posted of a guy reviewing a number of brands of filters, including cutting them open to compare and evaluate. Someone with more time might be able to locate it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #20

City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
I've always used NAPA filters in my cars, trucks and boats. I know a lot of people put down the Fram filters, but if they are really as bad as so many people say how come they are still in business after all these years?

kenk is offline   Reply With Quote