Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Chula Vista, Ca
Vessel Name: Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Model: Gulf Star
Oil change

Changing oil in a Perkins 6.354T rated at 12 - 13 quarts capacity. Using a oil extracted have pulled about 7 quarts but find ourselves unable to suck out any additional. Adding perhaps a quart for the filter seems should still be a lot of oil left in the engine - 6+/- quarts - that we have been unable to extract. Anyone thoughts or suggestions?
henryj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
The best way to drain is from the pan plug. I use a motor oil rated hose from the pan to a valve in an easy to access place and pump the oil.
I spent a lot of time on ships, tugs and commercial boats. Most have a plumbing system for draining the oil. I copied it on my boats and pump to a waste oil tank with a deck access plate. After draining the oil I go to a commercial fuel dock and they send down a hose and pump my waste oil tank. I never handle the waste oil. The only time you have to get to the pan bottom is installing the hose and valve. After that you would attach your suction pump to the valve.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Henry
What method did you use to extract oil?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Lots of Perkins 6.354 have a hand pump on the side of the engine, I guess yours wasn’t equpted with one, ours held 13-14 quarts of oil. Are you using a suction type extracter thru the dip stick tube ? try attaching a larger suction hose over the end of the dip stick tube. Also some engines have a suction tube built into the engine for oil extraction.
Let us know if you solve the problem.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #5

Remove the oil that you can using your current method. Next you can remove a small diamond shaped (with rounded corners)blank off plate located near the top back end of the sump. It is held on with two bolts.You can stick a "straw" in there and maneuver it to the lowest part of the sump. This access is on both sides of the engine and I think on one side it has a pipe connected to it that may be return oil from the turbo. I will try to take or find a picture of the blank off plate.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #6

Do a search on this website, perkins duvie oil and you will find a thread on this and the picture of the blank off plate.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My similar Perkins had a built in pump,very effective, it may be available to retrofit.
My mechanic uses a vacuum pump to remove old oil. He leaves it connected overnight,and gets much more oil out than I ever could using hand and electric pumps.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have a drain hose hooked to the sump drain. I can drain out 22 quarts in about 3 minutes with my portable 12 volt pump.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have been using a 6.9 qt. West Marine extraction pump and will take a look and see if i can figure out how to get the rest of the oil out using the methods suggested above. I don't think there is any built in pump on my engine.
Thanks again.
Jim H.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj2 View Post
... I don't think there is any built in pump on my engine....
Jim H.
Jim there might be an aperture for fitting one, worth a look. From memory mine was located near the dipstick.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Stumbled upon a solution. Problem seemed to be could only get the small extraction tube down the dipstick guide. Oil Extractor (West 6.9 qt.) seemed to be losing suction where small tube connect to larger tube. Noted dipstick guide could easily be removed from engine with a 5/8 wrench. This left a hole large enough to slip larger tube directly into crankcase. Replaced approx. 12 qts. in each engine with new filter so believe extracted nearly all old oil.