Oil Capacity Volvo Penta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDuff

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Cape Dory Trawler 28 #18
Need to change the oil on my Volvo Penta TAMD40B diesel for the first time. Does anybody know the oil capacity for this engine?

TAMD41P (6cylinder 200 hp turbo) spec's 11 Qts. if that helps..

The spec and the actual quantity you should put in can vary greatly. I have the same engine as Heron but I can only add about two gallons after draining the oil and changing the filter. Any more raises the level beyond the full mark on the dipstick.

I suggest adding a gallon and a half or so, waiting a few minutes and then checking the level with the dipstick. Add more oil a quart at a time until you see oil on the dipstick, then bring it up to the line. Start the engine and run it at idle for a few minutes. Shut it down, wait a few minutes and then bring the level up to the dipstick mark again.

Don't be alarmed that you will see no oil pressure for several seconds when you start the engine after an oil change. It takes that long to fill the filter and build pressure.

Thanks guys. Big help!

My engine took 2 3/4 gallons.

I had a pair of TMD40s. The TAMD40B is on the same block. The "A" stands for "Aftercooled", so has no effect on oil capicity. I don't know if mine were TMD40A or TMD40B, so I don't know if the "B" has anything to do with oil capicity.
I now have TAMD41s. They have the same sump as the 40s, 10 litres. That includes the oil filter

Back
Top Bottom