Old 03-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Oh Geeze! Shaft came off!

So after a pleasant cruise on Lake Union last night I decided to see how the boat handled using only one engine. I fired up the post side and set off at 6 knots. Well when I was getting near the dock I fired up the STBD side. I gave the STBD side some throttle to start spinning the boat into my spot. Nothing happened. I got lots of REVs but no thrust.

I got the boat in using just the Port engine and rudder. When I went below to try to see what the problem was I saw this! And a little metal bar which fits into that slot was sitting right below the shaft.

I think dragging the prop through the water did it. But I'm sure it shouldn't have.

Can I fix this myself while the boat is still in the water?
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2016, 04:50 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. t. This is just a guess BUT...It appears to me that the shaft is tapered and threaded on the end. Split the coupling and you'll probably find the nut that threads onto the end of the shaft between the coupling halves. Replace the shaft key (that square metal bar you found), slide the coupling half back on and torque down the nut really well. Might want to use some loctite. Check for proper coupling alignment and bolt the coupling back together.
Yup, do it in the water.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Before you start putting it back together, try screwing the nut down on the shaft by hand. The threads on the shaft may need to be dressed from having spun in the coupling. Don't want the nut and shaft threads to gall.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Once you get the coupling back on the shaft you need to check your alignment before you do the final bolt up. On both engines.

And you might as well remove the nut, re-torque and put Lock Tite on the other shaft/coupler as well.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #5

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Use new keystock unless the key looks absolutely perfect and check the key machining on coupling and shaft to make sure they were not damaged. You may want to replace the nuts also. Do it in the water.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Yeah what they said.

I would just like to say that I am impressed that you were able to dock the vessel without incident after suddenly finding yourself having to do it with just one engine. I would have been generally freaked out a bit. That combined with the sudden change in how the boat handles and without the ability to spin it as you are used to... It would not have been pretty.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Call a Marine Machine shop (in Vancouver it would be VM Dafoe) and find out what torque you need. Get a new key from them.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #8

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Thanks all!

I hope you will forgive me, but I'm not even sure how to open up the coupling. Looks like I need what I can only describe as a gigantic allen wrench to turn the bolts on the shaft side of the coupling.

I have no clue what to expect to find when I do open it up.

When I turn the coupling I can hear something inside. Probably the nut Capt Bill mentioned.

The other thing I can't figure out is how I can pull the shaft back into the boat a few inches. It doesn't want to budge!

And how does one assess the alignment?

Sorry for my newbie questions. I'd love to fix this myself. I'm just a bit perplexed.

Thanks! Love this forum!!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #9

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
Thanks all!

I hope you will forgive me, but I'm not even sure how to open up the coupling. Looks like I need what I can only describe as a gigantic allen wrench to turn the bolts on the shaft side of the coupling.

I have no clue what to expect to find when I do open it up.

When I turn the coupling I can hear something inside. Probably the nut Capt Bill mentioned.

The other thing I can't figure out is how I can pull the shaft back into the boat a few inches. It doesn't want to budge!

And how does one assess the alignment?

Sorry for my newbie questions. I'd love to fix this myself. I'm just a bit perplexed.

Thanks! Love this forum!!
Hire a mechanic-check with your boat yard-might have someone on call-If you don't know what your doing you can cause more problems than what you have-should be a simple fix-hopefully no shaft damage.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote