Old 12-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58LRC
Northern Lights - Voltage Regulator (repair?)

Has anyone found a source to repair Northern Lights automatic voltage regulators. At $800+ I'd sure like to know if my defective unit can be serviced instead.

Alternatively, is the a decent source for discounted Northern Lights parts?

I believe the part I require is: 22-68035

Thanks....
zigzag930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: Always Late
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44 DC
I get my voltage regulaters from a company called flight systems. You will have to google it as I don't remember there web site. Hope this helps

Gary
Always Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the fast reply.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
I'll be interested to hear how this goes. We may need one of these (other work is needed before we can get back to this part)

Previously of "In Sanity" fame. A 40' Mainship from 1981.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
https://www.flightsystems.com/
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, I have already emailed them and asked about a universal replacement for the NL's AVR. I sure hope their $150 units will work and save me over $700.00
Old 12-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Subscribed - very interested! Thank you.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Depending on what's burnt out, voltage regulators can be repaired. There's several people on the web that do circuit board repair. They verify each item on the board and replace the defective part. The repairers do all types of electronics. They're not voltage regulator experts, but component experts and have sources for almost all items found on a circuit board.
I haven't had a repair in several years, but the last one cost about $100, new board would have cost $500, took about 2 weeks with shipping. I've had boards repaired from nav instruments to washing machine circuits fixed.
A couple companies I used in the past:
https://circuitboardmedics.com/
https://www.acsindustrial.com/printe...ard-repair.php
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
Guru

City: Vermont
I think the NorthernLights AVRs may be potted in which case repair I think is improbable.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lepke: Thanks, I will contact them to see if repair is possible.

Twistedtree: Yes, they are potted, so not sure if that would mean repair can not be made. I will post the answer once I speak to those recommended above.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #11
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
Potting makes things harder to get at, that is for sure. But, depending upon what they are potted in and how much of the board needs to be inspected and/or worked, it isn't necessarily an impossible barrier.

I've carefully cut off potting with an "exacto" or work knife, removed it with small plastic scrapers, heated it and peeled it off, and dissolved it using old school paint thinners, e.g. not the citrus stuff (though, I can't say the citrus stuff won't work for some potting materials).

I guess, as you are doing, I'd recommend asking. I suspect those who do nothing but repair these boards all day have good techniques for what they do -- and know what they won't do.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Resolved - how to deal with bad AVR

We (a customer of mine and myself) were able to dig out some of the potting material to check a few of the "usual suspects" on the board but didn't find anything that appeared to be defective on the original AVR.

So, going down a different route - we obtained the schematics for M673 and were able to determine how the regulator was wired in. Nothing especially unique was noted.

As I was not able to swallow the (in my opinion - OUTRAGEOUS) $850.00 price for the OEM Northern Lights AVR, I decided it was worth trying to match up an off the shelf AVR.

On 1st attempt, I ordered a nice looking AVR from Amazon. The instructions that came with the unit were terrible, but we cut the connector off the original TAIYO regulator, and wired it up to this new AVR. After experimenting for a hour or so, I was unable to make the AVR control the voltage to the 240VAC required. This AVR was returned and experiment #1 was chalked off as a failure.

On our next attempt, a different (simpler design and hook-up) was selected. Again, it was wired up and tested. Bingo. 190VAC with the potentiometer turned down. Once, I adjusted the pot, I was able to achieve 240VAC virtually rock solid. This is with only a 4 wire hook-up instead of the original seven.

I have a bit more testing to do and will need to install a dummy load on the two wires that are no longer used to prevent possible "arcing", etc.

But the good news (provisionally) is that I may have $30 AVR solution that works!!!

I will share more detailed information once I have additional testing data and the AVR proves to be reliable, etc. Stay tuned.

PS - tonight I will fabricate a new mounting plate (out of plexiglass) to adapt the new AVR to the original mounting stand offs.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #13

The voltage regulator on my Onan MDJE gave out a few years back. Flight systems was still a pretty expensive option as I recall for that regulator.

On doing some research I stumbled across a thread on the Smokestack forum. Guys were using a Chinese regulator and a resistor for a very economical replacement.

I ordered one on either Ebay or Amazon for 35 dollars and ordered the needed resistor and once wired in the thing regulated the voltage like a champ!

So you may want to do some research on some of the engine forums to see if there may be other solutions. The regulator I used is a SX460.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #14
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Zigzag, that is just excellent - mine still works but I want to see your conclusions.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I finished up everything today and plan to take the boat on a overnight cruise this weekend where we'll anchor out and have a chance to run the generator for an extended time.

If all is well, I'll post to the forum.

In the meantime, today I added a small LED indicator lamp to the 120vac secondary winding, which is no longer hooked up or needed with the new AVR. I was told that I shouldn't leave that 120vac coil open, without a load as the stray voltage might start to look for a path. The LED indicator lamp is a $3.00 solution to that potential problem.

I tried to post some nice pictures as attachments, but they are too large. I will have to see if I can find a way to reduce the quality or size of them. Is there another way to post, perhaps a link to them?
Old 01-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #16
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Having a NL I am also very interested in your solution to an otherwise very expensive repair. At $30 it would be worth carrying a spare!

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Duvie,

The second regulator I used was indeed the SX460. I've now run the generator for about 20 hours without any issues, so looks like this is a permanent fix.

Not sure about the need for a resistor anywhere unless they used that instead of the LED indicator lamp I installed on the unused AC terminals.

I will be ordering another one of these tomorrow!!!

My photos won't upload. They are too large, but if anyone needs - can email them to you if you PM your address.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:21 AM   #18

City: Old saybrook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
Duvie,

The second regulator I used was indeed the SX460. I've now run the generator for about 20 hours without any issues, so looks like this is a permanent fix.

Not sure about the need for a resistor anywhere unless they used that instead of the LED indicator lamp I installed on the unused AC terminals.

I will be ordering another one of these tomorrow!!!

My photos won't upload. They are too large, but if anyone needs - can email them to you if you PM your address.
Hi, I’m new here so I’m not sure I’m doing this right but I have a Northern lights M 643 and I’m pretty sure the voltage regulator is shot. Can you send me a picture of the wiring diagram? Thank you in advance..ccclark06@icloud.com
Downeast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:02 AM   #19
Guru

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Downeast,

You should have the operators manual, as it has the wiring diagram in the rear. Get it by Googling “NL 643 owners manual”

Has other hand information also.
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:04 AM   #20

City: Old saybrook
I have looked at that online but is the new control board wired exactly the same? It looks different to me
Downeast1 is offline   Reply With Quote