Is this normal for a fuel filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Is this an indication that I need to replace my racor filter or is it normal to have this in a filter bowl?
Jeff 20210227_103238.jpeg

Mine are always clean. Have you drained the bowl to see what is in it? Do you have a drain valve or just the plastic plug? Maybe a good time to install the Racor drain valve.

Looks like bacteria. It is really hard to rinse out without removing the whole filter canister but it can be done. Best to remove the plastic canister. Putting it back in place is not brain surgery.

pete

Yes.
That’s a solid indication that the filter is doing it’s job, and is ready for you to do yours, which is to clean it out and install a new filter cartridge.
How long did it take to do that?
You may have a problem in your fuel tanks.

Greetings,
Mr. j. I would highly recommend vacuum gauges be installed on the filters if you don't have them already. A vacuum reading will be a much better indicator of filter condition than residue in the bottom of the filter.

I does, as Mr. k notes, indicate that the filter is doing it's job but it may not be at the end of it's useful life. The filter removes "dirt" via vacuum from the fuel lift pump while the engine is running. When the engine stops, some of that trapped "dirt" falls to the bottom and can be seen as you posted.

For example: https://discountracor.com/shop/vacuum-gauges/racor-rk11-1676e/
The model with the moveable indicating needle will show you maximum vacuum after the engine is stopped.

Edit: Might I ask how long ago was the last filter change done?

Last edited:
Not abnormal but not normal either. I would setup a fuel polisher and run it for several days.

The Racor is ready for disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild. A gasket set is available.
Just shut the tank valve off. Have a roll of paper towels handy and a large aluminum foil baking pan under the filter. Bleed the secondaries when done. Not something you should have to do often but it's a simple task.

https://www.parker.com/Literature/R...arine-Turbine-Rebuild-Instructions_-_7735.pdf

Last edited:
Normal. Pretty much every boat I am on has a bit of skunk in the Racors. Keep filters fresh and don't worry about it.

My boat has very clean tanks and the racor looks about like that. I change the element every year or so, all good.

Normal. Pretty much every boat I am on has a bit of skunk in the Racors. Keep filters fresh and don't worry about it.

My boat has very clean tanks and the racor looks about like that. I change the element every year or so, all good.

This

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom