Old 09-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fate's Fortune
Vessel Model: Monk/Vic Franck
Noisy Precision V-Glide

We have a custom 1971 50 ft. Monk with twin Ford 277-hp Seamaster 534 marine V-8 gasoline engines turning propellers through Borg Warner reversing gears with Precision V-Glide V-drives.

We have had the boat for a little over a year and I decided to check on the shaft stuffing box temperature while underway and noticed how loud the V-drives were.

I have seen other post on V-drives being noisy but how loud should it be before I have concerns. The transmission room is very well insulated so I assume the drives are normally loud. Below is a YouTube link showing the temps but you can also hear the gear noise at about 2K RPMs (cruising speed). The noise levels seem to be the same for each in forward and a little louder for Starboard reverse.

Should I be concerned?

https://youtu.be/HtvQZuKH8Wc
docvchulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Guru

City: Los Angeles
I'm assuming you have changed the fluid at some point. That could quiet it down.
Try sending a sample of each one's oil out for an analysis
and see if one has more metal in it than the other.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fate's Fortune
Vessel Model: Monk/Vic Franck
Thanks for the reply. actually I have only added oil when it was low.
docvchulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
In my previous life in fast lake/race boats we ran all sorts of v drive units that saying they "screamed like a banshee" would be a understatement. V drives make their signature noise because of the type of bevel gear they use. The sound can be confused for a blower drive if you dont know what your hearing. The fact your boat has the infamous monster 534 motors is cool, the are a really low rpm V8 and are crazy heavy and I was told very bulletproof. I once owned a cab over Ford C700 that spent its early years as a fire tanker with that monster in it. In a truck they had a bad habit of trashing exhaust manifolds and would often glow red (which looked very eerie under the cab) when pulling a heavy load.
Love the lines of you boat by the way
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monk, noisy, v-drive