Old 05-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #1

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Nissan/Tohatsu Outboard Top Cowl Seal

Hope someone has dealt with this on the forum; inherited a 10-yr old Nissan NS15C and it seems like a small thing but every time i have to remove the cowl for maintenance, the rubber seal falls out and won't adhere.
I've tried a hot glue gun but not reliable. It looks like the original was held in by some kind of OEM double-sided tape. I'm afraid to use just store-bought double-sided tape as it probably isn't intended for such high-heat environments...
I'm considering buying a new seal in hopes it comes with adhesive built-in. Anyone else have to deal with this issue?

sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #2

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
If you want to use double sided tape to hold it in, you can't beat 3M VHB tape. It is designed for automotive applications including holding plastic trim items onto the metal body panels, it can take a decent amount of heat, the standard version being rated to 121 degrees C. Clean the surfaces really well with alcohol or other non residue cleaner and make sure you have no plans to get it apart any time soon, it's quite a permanent bond.

Make sure you get the name brand stuff, most auto parts stores will have it and all auto body supply stores will have it.

sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
thanks for this. yes the hardest part was removing all the old worn-out adhesive from not only the cowl but also the long strip of rubber seal; took a couple hours with Goo gone, a scrubbing pad, a knife and a bunch of elbow grease.
Ended up ordering something very much like your 3M stuff; high temp 1" wide double stick foam adhesive. once everything was as clean as possible, this stuff went on and it came out really nice!
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote