Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
For quite a few years these guys in Crisfield, Md (chesapeake eastern shore) were rebuilding 3208s cheaper than you could get a gas big block for.

T&S Marine

Crisfield, Maryland Photographer: Business is booming at T&S Marine, a member of the Crisfield Chamber of Commerce
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Fernando,
Nothing wrong with the 6BT. However, this started asking about which engine to go with faced with three engine choices, 8.2DD, gas, or 3208 cat in a 43' Tolly.

The 6BT was never offered in these Tollys. If someone had repowered and the 6BT was in the running as a repower, properly done, I'd go for the 6BT. It just wasn't in the running in this question.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
I wouldn't own a Tolly (or a Uniflite), but if that's the type of boat that appeals to you and best meet your needs then I think FF has the right approach to the engine question. How long do you think you'll own the boat and how far/long will your cruises be?

I don't see any bugaboo in having a boat with gas engines. I fished for years in Hawaii on a twin gas boat (Uniflite) and we had no issues with the engines or safety at all. So the only things I believe are worth considering with regards to gas engines are fuel economy, range, and engine longevity.

If these numbers all fit with the way you anticipate using your boat, then gas makes all sorts of sense. If you want to go farther, or more economically, or will be using your boat a LOT and anticipate owning it for a long time then diesel is probably your better choice.

But I think the "right" answer lies in the numbers, not in the perception that gas engines are somehow inherently more dangerous in a boat than diesel.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #24

City: South Puget Sound, WA
My estimated ownership period is 10-15 years but plans can change and aside from the question of safety, I am concerned about the ability to resell a gas boat of this size.

As far as use, we intend to cruise Puget Sound and the Inside Passage. Perhaps 200-300 engine hours per year.

Curious why you wouldn't own a Tolly or a Uniflite Marin?
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post

Curious why you wouldn't own a Tolly or a Uniflite Marin?
Purely subjective. I--- the operative word here being I--- think they are aesthetically ugly. Aesthetics play an important role in our boating and we both find the typical "cabin cruiser" design of boats like Tollycraft, Uniflite, Bayliner, Carver, etc. to not have any. So we would have no interest in owning one. For the same reason neither of us have any interest in driving a Prius.

This has nothing to do with how well Tollycraft or Uniflite boats are built. I have recommended to newcomers on this forum who are thinking about buying a cruiser to consider a Tollycraft if it sounds like that type of boat would meet their requirements.

So it's purely a subjective thing. I just don't like them. I feel the same way about Nordhavns, too, even though they are arguably the best long-range ocean production cruiser on the market today. I have very specific design attributes that I consider to be truly aesthetic and Tollys and Nordhavns don't have any of them.

And before you ask, I don't think the Grand Banks is all that good looking either although it does have some of the design features I like in a boat. But the GB would not be in my lineup of what I consider truly good looking boats.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #26

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Thanks for your response Marin. This gets to the heart of our love affairs with various boats. I feel strongly that in order to like your boat you must find something aesthetically pleasing about her. Now I am attracted to the looks and proportions of the Tolly 43 and I have no attraction to my friend's Uniflite. It's also comforting to hear you won't be competing against me to buy that nice clean T43 that comes up on the market.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #27
Guru

I'd go with the Tolly as I have owned two of them, a 25 footer and a 30 footer. Built to take the tough water but with really thirsty, constant attention gas engines.
Is it the Cummins 6BT that has to have a motor mount removed to get at the sea water pump?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
With all this underloading going on I think the primary thing to consider in a word is "DOWNSIZING". Smaller engines working harder.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Yakima
Budd,
As we've discussed, my boat was built from the 43 Tolly molds. They were lengthened to 46 to get more cockpit space. I believe all of the Westcoast 46's were built with Cummins 6BT's from 270 to 330 hp. Most were twins, some are singles like our boat. If you're repowering, the Cummins fits well.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Marin. It's not the most esthetically pleasing design out there, but the total package fits us well.
Lyle
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Is it the Cummins 6BT that has to have a motor mount removed to get at the sea water pump?
Yes, indeed. Just did that last year. You don't need to remove it, but just loosen it and raise the engine a hair at the mount. On our boat the old Sherwood pump had spritzed the motor mount enough to rust it up nicely so when we decided to replace the pump with one of Tony Athens redesigned/improved pumps the yard got to bill us a lot of hours. Found two of their cold chisels rattling around in the bilge afterwards.

Tony has a tip on his website on how to re-rig the mount so that you don't have to shift the engine the next time, although he says the improved pump we installed will clear the mount. Hope I don't have to find out if he is right as it still looks pretty tight to me.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Marin wrote

" I have very specific design attributes that I consider to be truly aesthetic and Tollys and Nordhavns don't have any of them.

And before you ask, I don't think the Grand Banks is all that good looking either although it does have some of the design features I like in a boat. But the GB would not be in my lineup of what I consider truly good looking boats."

OK I'll bite.What are the design features you look for in a boat, and does that boat exist?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post
Thanks for your response ....I feel strongly that in order to like your boat you must find something aesthetically pleasing about her. ....It's also comforting to hear you won't be competing against me to buy that nice clean T43 that comes up on the market.
Like music and art, people respond to boats and boat designs based on all sorts of their own criteria starting from things they saw as little kids. This was undoubtedly the case with me as the first boat I came to know on a regular basis in Sausalito as a two and three-year old most likely shaped my ideas of what a good boat looks like from that moment on.

There are some Canadians who keep their boats in the Point Roberts marina up at the border to avoid paying various Canadian fees. Several of them have Tollycrafts, and one fellow in particular has improved and perfected his 40-something foot Tolly over the years we've known him to a degree I doubt Bob Tollefson himself would have thought possible. I would venture to say it is the most perfect Tollycraft on the planet. The design leaves me cold from an aesthetic standpoint but he certainly picked a worthwhile boat to put his energy, time, and money into. From everything I have heard about Tollys--- I know several people with Tolly 24s for example-- they are among the best-built fiberglass boats ever produced. While any kind of boat can become a junker given enough neglect, a Tolly in good to great shape is something you can structurally depend on.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Marin wrote

" I have very specific design attributes that I consider to be truly aesthetic and Tollys and Nordhavns don't have any of them."

OK I'll bite.What are the design features you look for in a boat, and does that boat exist?
It doesn't matter what I think. All that matters is what you think constitutes an aesthetic boat design.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #34
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
It doesn't matter what I think. All that matters is what you think constitutes an aesthetic boat design.
Yo, Marin - This Monterey Clipper design Twick your Wick?? Damn Cool Looking Boat! I like the name too!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

No.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #36
Art
Guru

Marin - Send us a boat pict of what you like... you're a hard one to figure... unlike me, I'm so easy!! If you believe that I gots a bridge to sell ya!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Maybe we should start a new "A Boat for Marin" thread. I think that he likes Flemings. How about something along these lines. Although the flybridge may not suit Marin's taste.
Attached Images

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Monterey Clippers are a weakness of mine... Fleming 55 is the only boat I've heard Marin speak of replacing his GB with. Not to offend anyone else but I think Willy is very easy on the eyes.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Monterey Clippers are a weakness of mine... Fleming 55 is the only boat I've heard Marin speak of replacing his GB with. Not to offend anyone else but I think Willy is very easy on the eyes.
The old Monterey Clippers are just so damn salty!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

I like Flemings in that I think it is the best fiberglass production boat out there for coastal-type cruising (not interested in open ocean boating--- been there, done that, got the T-shirt). But while I like the Fleming design for what it is (a really good rip-off of the deFever design used by American Marine for their Alaskan series-- Tony Fleming managed the AM yard back in those days), like the GB it is not on my list of what I think constitutes a really beautiful boat. I have posted photos from time to time in various threads of boats I really like the look of. There has not been one fiberglass production boat among them.