New temp gauge not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SalishSeaCHB

Veteran Member
Hi All, I am having an issue with my upper help temperature gauge. The boat is 1980 34 CHB with a 120 Ford Lehman. For the past number of years the upper help gauge hasn't worked so I picked up a Sierra 80590P and finally installed it see https://www.fredwarner.net/product/...uty-2-water-temperature-gauge-round-teleflex/

When the engine is running the gauge reads all the way to the left (temp sub 120). I tested the sender lead and it seems to be working. I am guessing I purchased the wrong gauge, any ideas?

Pictures of gauges here
https://imgur.com/a/QcEOyAI

Do you have a single or dual station boat? If you have dual helms the sender must be for dual and the gauge may be different also.

Hi All, I am having an issue with my upper help temperature gauge. The boat is 1980 34 CHB with a 120 Ford Lehman. For the past number of years the upper help gauge hasn't worked so I picked up a Sierra 80590P and finally installed it see https://www.fredwarner.net/product/...uty-2-water-temperature-gauge-round-teleflex/

When the engine is running the gauge reads all the way to the left (temp sub 120). I tested the sender lead and it seems to be working. I am guessing I purchased the wrong gauge, any ideas?

Pictures of gauges here
https://imgur.com/a/QcEOyAI
A Lehman 120 has only one port for a temp gauge. For two helms a dual station sender MUST be used and it MUST be matched to the gauges (ohm range matched to gauge range). Sorry to say but the gauge you purchased likely can never be made to work. VDO makes dual station gauges with a matching dual station sender. I learned the hard way. The VDOs read pretty close to engine temp as measured by infrared gun at the thermostat at the base of the FL120 header tank.

If you have a dual station boat you really should replace both gauges with gauges designed to match the sending unit and match each other.

pete

A Lehman 120 has only one port for a temp gauge. For two helms a dual station sender MUST be used and it MUST be matched to the gauges (ohm range matched to gauge range). Sorry to say but the gauge you purchased likely can never be made to work. VDO makes dual station gauges with a matching dual station sender. I learned the hard way. The VDOs read pretty close to engine temp as measured by infrared gun at the thermostat at the base of the FL120 header tank.

Ahh OK well thank you! that saves me beating my head against the wall. I look at a VDO solution, do you don't happen to have the part numbers handy? I bough this temp gauge over a year ago and I don't even remember where I got it, luckily I only have to eat ~$30 or so.
thanks again

VDO, Auto Meter, Faria, and Sierra, among others, are all brands of senders and gauges. To pick one think about....

1) Mounting hole size
2) Temperature range
3) Gradations on gauge va the parts of the range you care most about
4) Face color
5) Bezel color
6) For VDO gauges, bezels are often sold separately. Be warned and check, even if they show a picture with a bezel!

To order a sender, think about...
1) American Standard or VDO standard (VDO often uses a different resistive range)
2) Single station vs dual station (dual station is half the resistance along the whole curve to allow for the same current through each gauge as would be the case in a single station setup)
3) For VDO gauges (and maybe some others), standard ground or floating ground (standard ground goes has only one wire at the sender, using the engine block as the ground. Floating ground allows the running of a separate ground wire, which can sometimes give a better ground reference and more accurate measurement)
4) Thread size vs engine port size vs any adapters provided.

The part numbers will vary with what you want.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom