New Outboard motor - what brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best motor Evinrude ETEC but the 15 is 180 pounds. Really a detuned 25. 25 weighs the same. 2 stroke power. Smoother and cleaner burning than 4 strokes and much more low end power. Suzuki is good, tohatsu good, Honda good, Yamaha good. All are heavy. That is the order I would go. I have a Yamaha 15 in my 9.5 AB and it really flies

Been a Johnson outboard fellow all my life. Once had an 8 hp. Nissan on 11' Quicksilver inflatable... real nice motor, basically OK dink.

For years have had 1975 50 hp. Johnson on 14'8" 1975 Crestliner runabout. Sweet motor and simply great tow behind tender!

39 + mph with just me... per gps at slack tide. Cruising at 25 knots with Linda and me I calculate about 21 +/- mph. Fun boat and motor!

Happy Outboard Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Hey Art - you posted this before I believe.
Are you trying to say 25 knots with 21 mpg?
Are you trying to say 39 mph?

Thanks for the tip, how can I tell if it was made by Suzuki.

Well, ours came in a box with a Suzuki QC label on the inside... so that made it easier. :)

But I eventually also went to boats.net and compared Suzuki and Johnson motors of the same year to track down with Suzuki matched our Johnson. Nifty diagrams, source for parts, etc.

-Chris

Suzuki is my first dink motor choice based on weight and smoothness. My 2016 Yamaha is my last choice

Narrowed down to the Suzuki and the Yamaha.

If I go Suzuki, I will probably go 30hp since it is the same block as the 25hp and not a huge price difference. Would have probably bought one today except the local dealer gave me one price at the opening of the show and when I went back at 4:30pm to ask a question about moving from the 25hp up to the 30hp, he changed the prices.

I had thought you said earlier that you didn't really need 25-hp...

In any case, our selection was influenced heavily by the capacity/horsepower sticker on our dinghy. Max 15 for ours meant Suzuki if I wanted EFI, and especially since it also weighed less than many (most? all?) of the contemporary 15-hp competitors at the time.

Given a boat with greater capacity/horsepower rating... I think the field opens up quite a bit.

FWIW, I got the best price from porta-bote.com, even including shipping, and I think I remember they carry several brands. Painless transaction. Not sure whether they have bigger than "portables" (usually described as 20-hp or less) though, but might be worth a check if you haven't already.

Edit: I bought from porta-bote partly because of price, but also because our local Suzuki dealer just didn't have stock, and wasn't due to get any as quickly as we want to change over from either ourboard to the new EFI unit.

-Chris

Last edited:
I also bought my Suzuki from Porta-boat. Super easy, and the best price. We don't have a local Suzuki dealer here so that's why I bought online.

If you are going 30 hp the Evinrude ETEC is far and away the best motor on the planet. Better fuel economy and a huge difference in hole shot. Do some research. Vastly superior to any 4 stroke. Will last much longer.

If you are going 30 hp the Evinrude ETEC is far and away the best motor on the planet. Better fuel economy and a huge difference in hole shot. Do some research. Vastly superior to any 4 stroke. Will last much longer.

Is the comment specifically 30hp versus 30hp?

If not, do you have any specific websites or repair facilities with some specifics?

I may be in the market but firmly believe clear evidence about longevity and full throttle range economy is almost non existent as I have been web looking and talking with outboard techs for years.

So if there is something that I have missed, I love to see or hear it and I bet others too. :thumb:

"best motor on the planet" no such thing.

I had an E-tec 40. Was a 2002 or so. Burned a little bit more fuel. Was almost as heavy as a 4-stroke. Like all efi engines it started instantly and ran perfectly. Noisy at high rpm but so are all the other engines.

There's no bad engines. Well they're all too heavy and expensive. And the little one cylinder engines shake like a dirt tamper. Other than that they are all great. Remember the old Ford-Chevy talk? If a product dosn't work right almost always it's the fault of the operator .. not the engine manufacturer.

So just pick the engine that you like best and suites your needs. Refrain from saying your engine is best and don't play the victim and trash talk what you had in the past when you were young and stupid.

Hey Art - you posted this before I believe.
Are you trying to say 25 knots with 21 mpg?
Are you trying to say 39 mph?

smitty - yes and yes...

With just me on board, during slack tide at WOT, it gets GPS checked 39.6 knots [or mph - been years, can't recall exactly which Jen said]. Mike and Jen in their 23' SeaRay that has top end of over 50 knots cruised right alongside me for a distance with GPS in Jen's hand. 39.6 is the number she provided when checking top speed of our Crestliner.

With Linda and I [in our usual comfortable, planing, cruise mode] at approx 25 knots it gets approx. 21 mpg. Although not as accurate as Jen's WOT GPS number mentioned above I feel this is close. Pretty simple to determine by taking miles travelled divided by gallons used at fill up of one of its 6 gallon portable, metal gas tanks. You know, the old red ones that say Johnson on their side!

I run each tank dry before filling. Then religiously pour 16 oz. 2 cycle o/b motor oil [that's purposefully nearly one oz. over 50% mix recommended by Johnson] - and - a couple oz. of Seafoam or 1 oz. Berrymans B-12 Chemtool in about every other tank before fill up... to keep fuel lines and carb clean.

I do not run any of my engines dry before shutting down; unless we're talking years of shut down... than I oil mist them and do other things. I've found in decades past that by running engines dry it enables varnish to accumulate much more than by not running dry. I do off hook the fuel line from outboard. I've found that if left attached in hot days that the pressure forces fuel to seep all over o/b's structure for an oily mess.

Please realize that I have NO experience with newer or 4 cycle o/b's.

Do luv the old Johnsons... 1960's and 70's are those I know well!

Happy O/B Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Same experience with the Honda 40. Seems like Yamaha is the definitive answer to the PO's question. No chance to "buy American" - even the US brands are manufactured overseas!!

Christ’s, the Evinrude E-Tecs are made in Wisconsin. I have personally toured the factory. I also own four of them ranging from 25 to 250 hp. They are great motors, highly recommended.

-Don

smitty - yes and yes...

With just me on board, during slack tide at WOT, it gets GPS checked 39.6 knots [or mph - been years, can't recall exactly which Jen said]. Mike and Jen in their 23' SeaRay that has top end of over 50 knots cruised right alongside me for a distance with GPS in Jen's hand. 39.6 is the number she provided when checking top speed of our Crestliner.

With Linda and I [in our usual comfortable, planing, cruise mode] at approx 25 knots it gets approx. 21 mpg. Although not as accurate as Jen's WOT GPS number mentioned above I feel this is close. Pretty simple to determine by taking miles travelled divided by gallons used at fill up of one of its 6 gallon portable, metal gas tanks. You know, the old red ones that say Johnson on their side!

I run each tank dry before filling. Then religiously pour 16 oz. 2 cycle o/b motor oil [that's purposefully nearly one oz. over 50% mix recommended by Johnson] - and - a couple oz. of Seafoam or 1 oz. Berrymans B-12 Chemtool in about every other tank before fill up... to keep fuel lines and carb clean.

I do not run any of my engines dry before shutting down; unless we're talking years of shut down... than I oil mist them and do other things. I've found in decades past that by running engines dry it enables varnish to accumulate much more than by not running dry. I do off hook the fuel line from outboard. I've found that if left attached in hot days that the pressure forces fuel to seep all over o/b's structure for an oily mess.

Please realize that I have NO experience with newer or 4 cycle o/b's.

Do luv the old Johnsons... 1960's and 70's are those I know well!

Happy O/B Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Must have been some issues with the collection, calculations or presentation of the date as those numbers are not nearly reachable by any current outboards produced.

Must have been some issues with the collection, calculations or presentation of the date as those numbers are not nearly reachable by any current outboards produced.

My numbers are correct. Come on out to SF Delta, I'll show ya!

Our 1975, 50 hp., cherry condition Johnson is not of "... any current outboards produced." Such as you mention.

I dunno on the E-Tec. I have a 2010 115 hp Etec on my flats boat that I got through their guide program. I ran ut hard for about five years before I stopped guiding. When it ran right it was great, fuel efficient, ridiculously low oil burn, almost as fast as my old two stroke merc (horrible motor, but light and quick), very quiet.

But it has had a lot of peripheral failures, two starters, a tilt pump, lower unit cracked (I didn't hit anything, bombardier replaced it under warranty) and the latest thing, a failed EMM. The part alone for the EMM is $1,720, that hurts.

I know it's not a small motor which is the subject of this thread, but given everything I don't think I'd buy another etec.

Then again, my 2013 Suzuki DFI 20 with maybe 100 hours on it, needed a new high pressure pump this summer, at $600 for the part. Maybe outboards just hate me.

Bought my Yamaha 15 hp in 2005. Have used it several times on my RIB each year. Have replaced the spark plugs and lower unit oil. But that is all! Starts on the second pull every time. And I ALWAYS put Stabil in the gas. Never any problems.
YAMAHA + STA-BIL = [emoji41]

IMG_3034.jpg

I agree Sta-Bil works great for all gas engines. Use it in my out board, cars and tractors, typically leave my cars and tractors sit for as long as 6 months. Never a problem and always starts easy. Cheap insurance and simple

My numbers are correct. Come on out to SF Delta, I'll show ya!

Our 1975, 50 hp., cherry condition Johnson is not of "... any current outboards produced." Such as you mention.

Hello Art,

Perhaps check out a site like this and click on the tabs for past outboards
as well.
https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/owner-resources/all/performance-bulletins
These sites exist for not only Yamaha but Evinrude , Honda and others as well.
So you can look up just about any boat type with various hp engines both 2 and 4 stroke to see the real life tests with high accuracy equipment.
The numbers you are working with are out of line by 200% or more from any other test out there.
Of course you can also google about the 1975 Crestliner and find a few sites where the owners have posted performance numbers as well.
None are in the same neighborhood as those you have.

I agree Sta-Bil works great for all gas engines. Use it in my out board, cars and tractors, typically leave my cars and tractors sit for as long as 6 months. Never a problem and always starts easy. Cheap insurance and simple

I had no luck with Sta-Bil (either formulation) nor any other aftermarket product, when we were trying to keep our 2-stroke outboard running with E10. The only solution I eventually gravitated toward was strict recycling old gas and refilling with new after 3 weeks of non-use.

Ditto with the gas leaf-blower at home. Nothing seemed to work. Although a 32V electric replacement shines pretty well these days. :)

-Chris

Hello Art,

Perhaps check out a site like this and click on the tabs for past outboards
as well.
https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/owner-resources/all/performance-bulletins
These sites exist for not only Yamaha but Evinrude , Honda and others as well.
So you can look up just about any boat type with various hp engines both 2 and 4 stroke to see the real life tests with high accuracy equipment.
The numbers you are working with are out of line by 200% or more from any other test out there.
Of course you can also google about the 1975 Crestliner and find a few sites where the owners have posted performance numbers as well.
None are in the same neighborhood as those you have.

Dear smitty

Our Crestliner is 14'8" long. It weighs some 450 +/- lbs. Has perfectly set perm adjust trim tabs and well trimmed o/b stance with best prop for high speed on its perfect running, 2 cycle, 50 hp. Johnson. At WOT with just one person aboard [i.e. me] there is only a couple feet of its rear most bottom touching the water. So little bottom surface on the water that to turn at WOT this lightweight little boat skids sideways over the water similar to a very flat skipping stone. To turn in reasonable tolerance of circumference I must considerably reduce speed so the bottom of boat regains ample wet surface contact to water so the boat actually turns without skipping so freely to the side that it notably begins to dangerously travel sideways while turning.

The 39.6 GPS calced speed at WOT is what Jen got while I cruised beside her and Mike's SeaRay. That is not fiction; you can take it to the bank!

The 21 +/- mpg at approx. 25 knots that Linda and I get while gently cruising is simply arrived at by dividing gallons used to miles traveled. Same way as for any vehicle. Could I be off a bit on this figure... sure I could. But not very far off... believe me.

So tell me smitty... What's in this for you to time and again question my accountable stats?

You mention [your quote]: "The numbers you are working with are out of line by 200% or more from any other test out there."

That means you feel that top speed for our little, lightweight, high powered o/b boat is 13.2 mph? [39.6 :- 3 = 13.2] And that at 21 mph we get 7 mpg [21 mpg :- 3 = 7] :lol:

smitty, smitty, smitty... Get logical before you first try to disprove something that is hands down reality - and - against which you then post alternate numbers such as you did saying that it is a 200% factor of incorrectness that you state that my numbers represent.

Let's take a factor of 10% inaccuracy in my numbers, to the down side of course. You come on out here and I'll bet you $1K cash that our Crestliner
does what I [and Linda and Mike and Jen] say it does.

Travel expenses are on you! :D

I think the only way to avoid E10 issues is to drain the carb. by running the motor to exhaustion with the fuel valve closed. I do this routinely on all yard equipment, my motorcycle, and used to do it on my outboards, regardless of 2-T or 4-T. If you do not have a fuel valve to allow this, it is easy/inexpensive to fit one. Not saying this is necessary overnight, but if left more than a week, do it. BTW, it is still possible to buy non-ethanol fuel in some states (e.g. upstate NY). Why not everywhere?? ETOH in gas never made sense from an economic or conservation standpoint. Just a boondoggle for farmers growing corn!

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Torqeedo. We have a 1003 and love it. Its 3 hp won't appeal to folks who want speed, but I like not having to deal with gasoline, for the obvious reasons. The Torqeedo is an example of great German engineering.

Dear smitty

Our Crestliner is 14'8" long. It weighs some 450 +/- lbs. Has perfectly set perm adjust trim tabs and well trimmed o/b stance with best prop for high speed on its perfect running, 2 cycle, 50 hp. Johnson. At WOT with just one person aboard [i.e. me] there is only a couple feet of its rear most bottom touching the water. So little bottom surface on the water that to turn at WOT this lightweight little boat skids sideways over the water similar to a very flat skipping stone. To turn in reasonable tolerance of circumference I must considerably reduce speed so the bottom of boat regains ample wet surface contact to water so the boat actually turns without skipping so freely to the side that it notably begins to dangerously travel sideways while turning.

The 39.6 GPS calced speed at WOT is what Jen got while I cruised beside her and Mike's SeaRay. That is not fiction; you can take it to the bank!

The 21 +/- mpg at approx. 25 knots that Linda and I get while gently cruising is simply arrived at by dividing gallons used to miles traveled. Same way as for any vehicle. Could I be off a bit on this figure... sure I could. But not very far off... believe me.

So tell me smitty... What's in this for you to time and again question my accountable stats?

You mention [your quote]: "The numbers you are working with are out of line by 200% or more from any other test out there."

That means you feel that top speed for our little, lightweight, high powered o/b boat is 13.2 mph? [39.6 :- 3 = 13.2] And that at 21 mph we get 7 mpg [21 mpg :- 3 = 7] :lol:

smitty, smitty, smitty... Get logical before you first try to disprove something that is hands down reality - and - against which you then post alternate numbers such as you did saying that it is a 200% factor of incorrectness that you state that my numbers represent.

Let's take a factor of 10% inaccuracy in my numbers, to the down side of course. You come on out here and I'll bet you $1K cash that our Crestliner
does what I [and Linda and Mike and Jen] say it does.

Travel expenses are on you! :D

And the many boats in the well documented tests running many versions of 40 hp engines weigh similar weights and are run with one person on board for their tests - no where near 21 mpg on any of them.
There is real progress in the amounts of hp produced from each gallons of gas in outboard engines over the years - great improvements.
If your outboard was able to get these numbers then you have a great opportunity approaching any major engine builder with the secret.

I too call BS on getting 21nmpg on a 15' skiff with the 50 OMC. I owned one and I will say it is really easy on fuel for a two stroke at mid power settings compared to other 2s motors. But on our light 16' skiff running at say 18kts it was about 1.5-2gph. 1.1gph? find that a little hard to believe. We figured 10nmpg and it consistently got that.

I too call BS on getting 21nmpg on a 15' skiff with the 50 OMC. I owned one and I will say it is really easy on fuel for a two stroke at mid power settings compared to other 2s motors. But on our light 16' skiff running at say 18kts it was about 1.5-2gph. 1.1gph? find that a little hard to believe. We figured 10nmpg and it consistently got that.

Yes - most any of the 12-15' RIB tests with 40-50 hp engines would agree with you.
Those RIBS run with less than 700-800# total weight both hull and engine combined - like the ones that I have owned. And they run with very little of their mostly flat hull in the water when at speed.
All the boat tests confirm that those combinations with newer style engines will maybe run up to 40 mph tops and maybe 10-11 mpg best case on efficiency.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Torqeedo. We have a 1003 and love it. Its 3 hp won't appeal to folks who want speed, but I like not having to deal with gasoline, for the obvious reasons. The Torqeedo is an example of great German engineering.

FWIW, they seem to get mixed reviews, across the 'net...

-Chris

David,
I've always taken handling gasoline as a given. Never bothered me enough to get motivated to do anything about it. Also I don't consider engines as "that damn thing". I get along w them well.

As to actually running around in my boats driven by an electric motor it's too much like running an elevator, golf cart, fork lift or powered pallat jack. I may try it some day but my mind is still happy in the fuel and combustion slot.

But the OP did say "motor" not engine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom