New Outboard motor - what brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don`t think gas with ethanol even saves pennies. In cars I believe it gives less mpg than non ethanol gas. And that`s before considering the downside for fuel systems.It`s been around in Australia for years and few people use it. It`s major manufacturer is a strong supporter of a political party, I`m sure that has nothing to do with the Govt. urging us to use it.;)

Easy for some to say. Not much choice for some of us, when it's the only game in town...

-Chris

Agreed - for some places and uses you really have no choice. On those occasions I just try and make sure I use additives to help resist the problems and avoid storing fuel in the engine or the fuel tank for excessive amounts of time. Even that can be a stretch depending upon how you use the outboard boat but being aware of it can help you minimize the affects.

Easy for some to say. Not much choice for some of us, when it's the only game in town...

-Chris

Chris - easy to find it on the Eastern Shore. Get an app called "Pure Gas". It will show locations at which it's available. Closest location to you is Easton at Easton Point Marina.

3 Nov 2017, non-ethonel gas at outboard marine .... $4.25/gal

Chris - easy to find it on the Eastern Shore. Get an app called "Pure Gas". It will show locations at which it's available. Closest location to you is Easton at Easton Point Marina.

Yep, I've checked some of the apps... one still showed a station in Upper Marlboro that had been converted to a fast food chain outlet several years before... I offered a correction, not sure the apps cared.

And it's only worth so much putzing around.

Have you tried to get to Easton Point by boat? And it's not worth a car drive over there for a lousy 3 gallons of gas, either...

-Chris

Yep, I've checked some of the apps... one still showed a station in Upper Marlboro that had been converted to a fast food chain outlet several years before... I offered a correction, not sure the apps cared.

Have you tried to get to Easton Point by boat? And it's not worth a car drive over there for a lousy 3 gallons of gas, either...

-Chris
Nope. Cheaper to drive over. Plus, I don't make a special trip.

Ya know... I don't know... just exactly what all the hub-bubb is about pure fossil fuel and having that mixed with ethanol fuel... or using just premixed E fuel.

I get gas from many locations for my trucks, cars, boats [inboard and out board], construction equipment... etc... [some with high performance engines - some not].

Points in fact:

1. I used mixed gasoline that set in tank of a ski boat for six [6] plus years... not even moved on its trailer, i.e. sitting dormant two doors down at my son's house. When I took out the embedded plastic tank [to rework boat's transom] and poured the gasoline into 5 gallon gas jugs it looked OK. Then I poured that gas into the near empty tank for my 350 cid, high performance, carbureted truck engine - and - it ran fine!

2. Sometimes one or more of my commercial concrete or plaster/mortar mixers may sit idle with 1/2 full or full tank of gas for months to a year. Never have problem starting them. Then they run fine!

3. One of my outboard motor's 6 gal metal tanks may sit idle for near a year with fuel inside. No problem experienced.

4. Weed eaters - no prob!

With all that said... I do the following with my dormant gasoline [add the same to most gasoline when filling tank - don't necessarily do so if tank will need refilling in short period of days].

Add small amount of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool, or Sea Foam to help keep fuel lines clear. Add small amount of Soltron to help keep fuel clean, water free, and non-separating. :thumb:

Works for me!!!!!! :D :popcorn:

-Chris

Here's the app I used.

pure-gas.org

Input your ZIP code and good luck.

Nope. Cheaper to drive over. Plus, I don't make a special trip.

It IS a picturesque boat ride, though. :)

Here's the app I used.
pure-gas.org
Input your ZIP code and good luck.

Yep, same one I mentioned that had some incorrect (outdated) info before.
Nothing nearby except for the airport... and their av-gas doesn't seem like a useful alternative. Even next closest is racing fuel from 20 miles away.

It was easier to replace the carbureted outboard with an EFI unit.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom