Old 10-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #81
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
I agree Sta-Bil works great for all gas engines. Use it in my out board, cars and tractors, typically leave my cars and tractors sit for as long as 6 months. Never a problem and always starts easy. Cheap insurance and simple

I had no luck with Sta-Bil (either formulation) nor any other aftermarket product, when we were trying to keep our 2-stroke outboard running with E10. The only solution I eventually gravitated toward was strict recycling old gas and refilling with new after 3 weeks of non-use.

Ditto with the gas leaf-blower at home. Nothing seemed to work. Although a 32V electric replacement shines pretty well these days.

-Chris

Old 10-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #82
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Hello Art,

Perhaps check out a site like this and click on the tabs for past outboards
as well.
https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...ance-bulletins
These sites exist for not only Yamaha but Evinrude , Honda and others as well.
So you can look up just about any boat type with various hp engines both 2 and 4 stroke to see the real life tests with high accuracy equipment.
The numbers you are working with are out of line by 200% or more from any other test out there.
Of course you can also google about the 1975 Crestliner and find a few sites where the owners have posted performance numbers as well.
None are in the same neighborhood as those you have.
Dear smitty

Our Crestliner is 14'8" long. It weighs some 450 +/- lbs. Has perfectly set perm adjust trim tabs and well trimmed o/b stance with best prop for high speed on its perfect running, 2 cycle, 50 hp. Johnson. At WOT with just one person aboard [i.e. me] there is only a couple feet of its rear most bottom touching the water. So little bottom surface on the water that to turn at WOT this lightweight little boat skids sideways over the water similar to a very flat skipping stone. To turn in reasonable tolerance of circumference I must considerably reduce speed so the bottom of boat regains ample wet surface contact to water so the boat actually turns without skipping so freely to the side that it notably begins to dangerously travel sideways while turning.

The 39.6 GPS calced speed at WOT is what Jen got while I cruised beside her and Mike's SeaRay. That is not fiction; you can take it to the bank!

The 21 +/- mpg at approx. 25 knots that Linda and I get while gently cruising is simply arrived at by dividing gallons used to miles traveled. Same way as for any vehicle. Could I be off a bit on this figure... sure I could. But not very far off... believe me.

So tell me smitty... What's in this for you to time and again question my accountable stats?

You mention [your quote]: "The numbers you are working with are out of line by 200% or more from any other test out there."

That means you feel that top speed for our little, lightweight, high powered o/b boat is 13.2 mph? [39.6 :- 3 = 13.2] And that at 21 mph we get 7 mpg [21 mpg :- 3 = 7]

smitty, smitty, smitty... Get logical before you first try to disprove something that is hands down reality - and - against which you then post alternate numbers such as you did saying that it is a 200% factor of incorrectness that you state that my numbers represent.

Let's take a factor of 10% inaccuracy in my numbers, to the down side of course. You come on out here and I'll bet you $1K cash that our Crestliner
does what I [and Linda and Mike and Jen] say it does.

Travel expenses are on you!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #83
Guru

I think the only way to avoid E10 issues is to drain the carb. by running the motor to exhaustion with the fuel valve closed. I do this routinely on all yard equipment, my motorcycle, and used to do it on my outboards, regardless of 2-T or 4-T. If you do not have a fuel valve to allow this, it is easy/inexpensive to fit one. Not saying this is necessary overnight, but if left more than a week, do it. BTW, it is still possible to buy non-ethanol fuel in some states (e.g. upstate NY). Why not everywhere?? ETOH in gas never made sense from an economic or conservation standpoint. Just a boondoggle for farmers growing corn!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #84

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Torqeedo. We have a 1003 and love it. Its 3 hp won't appeal to folks who want speed, but I like not having to deal with gasoline, for the obvious reasons. The Torqeedo is an example of great German engineering.
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #85
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Dear smitty

Our Crestliner is 14'8" long. It weighs some 450 +/- lbs. Has perfectly set perm adjust trim tabs and well trimmed o/b stance with best prop for high speed on its perfect running, 2 cycle, 50 hp. Johnson. At WOT with just one person aboard [i.e. me] there is only a couple feet of its rear most bottom touching the water. So little bottom surface on the water that to turn at WOT this lightweight little boat skids sideways over the water similar to a very flat skipping stone. To turn in reasonable tolerance of circumference I must considerably reduce speed so the bottom of boat regains ample wet surface contact to water so the boat actually turns without skipping so freely to the side that it notably begins to dangerously travel sideways while turning.

The 39.6 GPS calced speed at WOT is what Jen got while I cruised beside her and Mike's SeaRay. That is not fiction; you can take it to the bank!

The 21 +/- mpg at approx. 25 knots that Linda and I get while gently cruising is simply arrived at by dividing gallons used to miles traveled. Same way as for any vehicle. Could I be off a bit on this figure... sure I could. But not very far off... believe me.

So tell me smitty... What's in this for you to time and again question my accountable stats?

You mention [your quote]: "The numbers you are working with are out of line by 200% or more from any other test out there."

That means you feel that top speed for our little, lightweight, high powered o/b boat is 13.2 mph? [39.6 :- 3 = 13.2] And that at 21 mph we get 7 mpg [21 mpg :- 3 = 7]

smitty, smitty, smitty... Get logical before you first try to disprove something that is hands down reality - and - against which you then post alternate numbers such as you did saying that it is a 200% factor of incorrectness that you state that my numbers represent.

Let's take a factor of 10% inaccuracy in my numbers, to the down side of course. You come on out here and I'll bet you $1K cash that our Crestliner
does what I [and Linda and Mike and Jen] say it does.

Travel expenses are on you!

And the many boats in the well documented tests running many versions of 40 hp engines weigh similar weights and are run with one person on board for their tests - no where near 21 mpg on any of them.
There is real progress in the amounts of hp produced from each gallons of gas in outboard engines over the years - great improvements.
If your outboard was able to get these numbers then you have a great opportunity approaching any major engine builder with the secret.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #86
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I too call BS on getting 21nmpg on a 15' skiff with the 50 OMC. I owned one and I will say it is really easy on fuel for a two stroke at mid power settings compared to other 2s motors. But on our light 16' skiff running at say 18kts it was about 1.5-2gph. 1.1gph? find that a little hard to believe. We figured 10nmpg and it consistently got that.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I too call BS on getting 21nmpg on a 15' skiff with the 50 OMC. I owned one and I will say it is really easy on fuel for a two stroke at mid power settings compared to other 2s motors. But on our light 16' skiff running at say 18kts it was about 1.5-2gph. 1.1gph? find that a little hard to believe. We figured 10nmpg and it consistently got that.

Yes - most any of the 12-15' RIB tests with 40-50 hp engines would agree with you.
Those RIBS run with less than 700-800# total weight both hull and engine combined - like the ones that I have owned. And they run with very little of their mostly flat hull in the water when at speed.
All the boat tests confirm that those combinations with newer style engines will maybe run up to 40 mph tops and maybe 10-11 mpg best case on efficiency.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #88
Guru

The early Crestliners that could reach 40 mph were running 75 Hp engines and the smaller ones equipped with 40 hp were said to 'reach 30 mph".

Here is one of many links for those that might have interest....
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&ved=0ahU KEwj09oy6qfPWAhUHZCYKHdrCDSAQFghhMA0&url=http%3A%2 F%2Fretrocrestliner.com%2F1962%2520crestliner%2520 catalog.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3sdPQPzwDq6Y-FCHlIXRgF

Old 10-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rive View Post
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Torqeedo. We have a 1003 and love it. Its 3 hp won't appeal to folks who want speed, but I like not having to deal with gasoline, for the obvious reasons. The Torqeedo is an example of great German engineering.

FWIW, they seem to get mixed reviews, across the 'net...

-Chris
Old 10-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #90
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
David,
I've always taken handling gasoline as a given. Never bothered me enough to get motivated to do anything about it. Also I don't consider engines as "that damn thing". I get along w them well.

As to actually running around in my boats driven by an electric motor it's too much like running an elevator, golf cart, fork lift or powered pallat jack. I may try it some day but my mind is still happy in the fuel and combustion slot.

But the OP did say "motor" not engine.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #91

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
FWIW, they seem to get mixed reviews, across the 'net...

-Chris
You're right Chris - I did a lot of reading before I bought, and saw those mixed reviews. Took the plunge anyway, and glad I did - a happy customer. And although the top speed is not fast, they sure shoot off the start line quick!
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #92

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I had no luck with Sta-Bil (either formulation) nor any other aftermarket product, when we were trying to keep our 2-stroke outboard running with E10. The only solution I eventually gravitated toward was strict recycling old gas and refilling with new after 3 weeks of non-use.

Ditto with the gas leaf-blower at home. Nothing seemed to work. Although a 32V electric replacement shines pretty well these days.

-Chris

I found the key for working well is to put it in the tank and let it run for a while to totally circulate through the entire system.
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #93

City: Flanders, NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Seafoam with some techron additive and I'm using super with no problems. Used reguler last year to see if a change and yes there was. My pickup screen in my tank kept having a flakey gel clog it up. Back to super this year no problems at all.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #94
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
The early Crestliners that could reach 40 mph were running 75 Hp engines and the smaller ones equipped with 40 hp were said to 'reach 30 mph".

Here is one of many links for those that might have interest....
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&ved=0ahU KEwj09oy6qfPWAhUHZCYKHdrCDSAQFghhMA0&url=http%3A%2 F%2Fretrocrestliner.com%2F1962%2520crestliner%2520 catalog.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3sdPQPzwDq6Y-FCHlIXRgF
You're such Nay Sayers! All without having been aboard nor experienced or even seen a certain boat and engine perform! You can read plenty of different stats from manufacturers and owners and from that say as you like. However, I and my wife and some friends know what our little 14'8" Crestliner with 50 Johnson can and does do.

Visit http://retrocrestliner.com/1962%20crestliner%20catalog.pdf

THEN - - > Scroll down about 60% of the way. Read about a boat extremely similar to ours, i.e. Crestliner's Mustang "14" Deluxe. Text says: "... reaches 20 mph in six seconds with three aboard and 25 hp range motor... will top 30 mph with 40 hp motor [seemingly with 3 aboard].

Then - - > You [without any personal first hand knowledge of a boat's performance] tell me that with 50 hp and just me aboard our little Crestliner runabout that it will not do 39 mph... on a GPS readout at slack tide!!!!!

Please: Don't you have something better to do than to spend time contradicting what is GPS recorded fact???
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1954.jpg   DSCN1955.jpg   DSCN1959.jpg   DSCN1961.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #95
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
This new Tohatsu LPG 4 stroke could well be worth consideration ??Tohatsu 5hp Propane LPG
It`s heavy at around 28kg, my 2 stroke Tohatsu 6hp is around 18kg. You might check the negative comments on Lehr LPG/propane outboards too. I`m happy with my petrol/gasoline Tohatsu.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #96
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It`s heavy at around 28kg, my 2 stroke Tohatsu 6hp is around 18kg. You might check the negative comments on Lehr LPG/propane outboards too. I`m happy with my petrol/gasoline Tohatsu.

The Lehr LPG/propane outboard are cheap Chinese copy rubbish same as the ones BCF sell here in Australia
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #97
Guru

Quote:
You're right Chris - I did a lot of reading before I bought, and saw those mixed reviews. Took the plunge anyway, and glad I did - a happy customer. And although the top speed is not fast, they sure shoot off the start line quick!
And even the the rep thing, I've been keeping those in the back of my mind for a canoe project, one day. Along with Minn Kota. More for auxiliary help upstream, versus main propulsion. Battery weight and recharging become an issue with the Minn Kota... probably less of an issue withe the Torqeedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post
I found the key for working well is to put it in the tank and let it run for a while to totally circulate through the entire system.
Sure. Did that. No particular joy...

Our situation made more complicated by our infrequent use... I'd even use our dinghy more often at our home marina, except we're blocked in at the slip, no way to launch directly (i.e., without moving the mother boat first, launching, moving the mother boat back). In any case, I'd expect more frequent use would have made much more of a difference to whether the various additives worked or not...

-Chris
Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
The Lehr LPG/propane outboard are cheap Chinese copy rubbish same as the ones BCF sell here in Australia
Reminds me, there are some outfits out there that will deliver a Yamaha portable generator converted to run on propane... and I've seen instructions for doing the same kind of conversion with Honda generators. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a way to convert many small gas outboards to propane...

-Chris
Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
You're such Nay Sayers! All without having been aboard nor experienced or even seen a certain boat and engine perform! You can read plenty of different stats from manufacturers and owners and from that say as you like. However, I and my wife and some friends know what our little 14'8" Crestliner with 50 Johnson can and does do.

Visit http://retrocrestliner.com/1962%20crestliner%20catalog.pdf

THEN - - > Scroll down about 60% of the way. Read about a boat extremely similar to ours, i.e. Crestliner's Mustang "14" Deluxe. Text says: "... reaches 20 mph in six seconds with three aboard and 25 hp range motor... will top 30 mph with 40 hp motor [seemingly with 3 aboard].

Then - - > You [without any personal first hand knowledge of a boat's performance] tell me that with 50 hp and just me aboard our little Crestliner runabout that it will not do 39 mph... on a GPS readout at slack tide!!!!!

Please: Don't you have something better to do than to spend time contradicting what is GPS recorded fact???

Hello Art,
You would really like my Chevy Crew 5.3 pickup - -
I have some pretty accurate readings with this new to me truck.
I get right at 29 per gallon when its just me in the truck.
When towing my #5,000 boat/trailer on the open road I get right at 23 per gallon.
Once when I was alone I opened it up on the highway and reached 168 but it was a bit 'loose' and scary with it being a truck so I backed it down quickly.
I can assure you that those figures are pretty accurate and reproducible....
Old 10-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #100
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Every disagreement doesn't have to be an argument to the death, IMO. When some people disagree with others why do they feel the need to attack with guns blazing?

I have a friend who believes the moon landing was faked. I disagree, but I don't attack and ridicule him like my life depends on it. What does that help? My friend is not in a position to hurt anyone with his opinions, so I don't see why I should try to expose them as false.

Now, when an elected official or some kind is "leader" is spewing erroneous facts that can really hurt others it's a different story. They need to be debunked vigorously.

Maybe I'm just asking why we can't be nicer than we are.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote