Old 03-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pahrump
3208 TA 375 exhaust manifolds and risers.

I'm neck-deep into the purchase of a 1989 Pilot House with a pair of 3208ta 375 cats, with less than 500 original hours on them, which equates to roughly an hour and a half a month. I am certain she has been in saltwater for the entire 32 years.

My question is, let's talk exhaust manifolds and risers. From the outside, they're immaculate with the original white caterpillar paint. Should I be concerned about interior corrosion and build up?

I have owned countless engines over the year, and I am certainly capable and qualified to perform a basic engine survey, and I am not convinced a caterpillar shop surveyor would provide any hardcore answers regarding the exhaust manifolds and risers, other than hypotheticals and / or suggestions regarding the internal condition of the manifolds and risers in relation to the extremely low hours.

That having been said, should I be worried about internal conditions of the manifolds and risers resultant of the extended sitting time in salt water.

Hit me with your Best shot.
Crime Pays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
375 manifolds and exhaust system are not sea water cooled, they are cooled by engine coolant. No worries there, should last many decades. Not at all like a gasoline engine.

At the outlet of the turbo, there is usually a SS mixer, that lives pretty much decades. Only problem is humidity in turbo outlet can erode the housing, making for low boost.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Pahrump
Wonderful news. Thank you. I'll keep you posted.
Crime Pays is offline   Reply With Quote