Old 03-11-2021, 03:28 AM   #21

City: Channel Islands Marina Ventura CA
Vessel Name: The MaryAnn
Vessel Model: 34' Californian Trawler
Dual Controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh203 View Post
I agree with above. There is something nice about simple push pull cable setups that I prefer over electric throttles, air is still the best though. Push pull have been used for a very long time and I do not see them being replaced any time soon. Also any reputable company still makes dual controls like you are looking for, and as for someone saying they are problematic and hard or impossible to find he hasnít had them or looked very far because Morse still makes them and they have sold more throttle controls then every other company combined, and as for some of the other stuff most of that should have been addressed with proper preventative maintenance. There were plenty of no name companies that havenít stood the test of time that made crap when new and may have had some issues like over shifting or synchronization issues. Iíve got a set of kobelt Throttle/gear levers on my one trawler, thatís a dual station push pull setup and they have better detents and are smoother than just about any throttle setups Iíve ever used, although they should be for over a grand per unit. Iím honestly not a real fan of electric throttle setups and I use them every day for work and use them on commercial grade equipment with 1,500-3,200 hp applications and I still see the downside and issues with them, I havenít used them on pleasure boats but donít see how they could come anywhere close to the quality of the commercial grade units so..... For only a 2 station setup push pull is my favorite and for more than 2 I like air shift/throttle.
Thanks so I'm thinking of checking out the Morse then, my boat mechanic suggested CH7800 series Dual Top mount control (see attachment) what do you think
Attached Thumbnails
Shifter Screenshot_20210304-123700_Chrome.jpg  

The MaryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:22 AM   #22
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Any of the Teleflex / SeaStar (formerly Morse), Uflex, Kobelt, or other major brand controls should be good quality.

For the cables, if you stay with a 4 lever setup, you'll just need 1 for 1 replacements of the current cables. But if you change to a 2 lever setup, your cable configuration may change (I haven't personally worked with a 2 helm / 2 lever setup). So make sure you know what needs to change there before buying cables if you change control heads.

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:40 AM   #23
Guru

City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
I was going to convert the shifters in the Green boat to Kobelt single lever dual function units. My plan was to use two Vetus shifter combiners https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/p...4aAr9pEALw_wcB one for the gearbox and one for the throttle. We sold the boat and bought the NP39 before I made the conversion.

I still have the Kobelt controls as mentioned on another thread and want to get rid of them. It does sound like your issues are cable related and new cables may be the cheapest fix.

To determine cable length it may be printed on one end of the unit. If not would it be possible to attach a messenger line to one end of the cable, pull it out and then measure it? You would have the messenger line to pull the new one in.

Rob
Yep! Vetus was the other system I looked at, which didn't need the switch lever. Maui Pro was the only place that stocked it st the time.
gkesden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #24
Guru

City: gulf coast
From your description the top controls seem the problem. Try disconnecting them from the bottom controls and see if they are still stiff. That would point to cables.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #25
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Good thread and I'm following.

After having both the single control for both throttle and shift and the dual controls, I MUCH prefer the single.

One can put BOTH engines in one hand, and operate the shift and the throttle, and never more the hand much. And, there's never a chance of accidentally shifting when the throttle is powered up. Just dirt simple.

With the four handles, two shift, and two throttle, hands a flying all over the place. PITA.

Now, I currently have the Glendinning electronic control, which works great, but don't want the expense on my new boat, and the manual is just more reliable.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #26

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaryAnn View Post
Thanks so I'm thinking of checking out the Morse then, my boat mechanic suggested CH7800 series Dual Top mount control (see attachment) what do you think

I donít see why these wouldnít work, I do believe they were designed more for outboards but that shouldnít matter as long as you get them without tilt and trim option. The cables canít tell the difference.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #27

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Not advocating it or anything but I’ve actueally seen a setup on a boat before where downstairs was the 4 single action levers and upstairs on the flybridge was the pair of dual action control. They were actually pretty slick and shifted well so I know it can be done.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Folks get upset at the cheap construction of many modern shift units .

I have a 1964 mag that shows a nice single lever Morse shifter , for over $100 .

Translate that to todays script and its over a thousand.

Good stuff is out there , USED , if you look.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Folks get upset at the cheap construction of many modern shift units .

I have a 1964 mag that shows a nice single lever Morse shifter , for over $100 .

Translate that to todays script and its over a thousand.

Good stuff is out there , USED , if you look.

You can get good stuff new as well, it's just not cheap. And you've gotta look a bit harder for it, as the stuff that's easiest to get is usually not the good stuff.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #30

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Something to remember with dual stations you have to overcome the resistance in the other control too. Each control takes a certain amount of force to move out of the detents.
I'd start up top and disconnect the cables at the shifter, check for sticking of the shifter/throttle. Do the same at the lower. If OK then disconnect at the motor-transmission and check. You should be able to tell where the problem is.
Most cables are marked with the length. Last number or two in the part number on the cable. If not just pull and measure. Usually the throttle and shift cables are a different length.
If/when you pull the upper cables out pull a line down with them to tie the new cables to so you can snake them back up. Put a piece of tape on both ends of 1 so you know which 1 goes where.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:09 AM   #31
FF
Guru

Motorcycle shops have cable lubricants and sell the unit to squirt it in.

IF there is room and gentle curves the 43 series cable does a better job than the outboard 33 series.

Any suplier, heres one.

Teleflex Morse 43C Boat Control Cable D38012-003-0240.0 ...

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com › teleflex-morse-43c...

Boat part number 1017552 is a new 43C series 20' red jacket control cable from Teleflex Morse, part number D38012-003-0240.0 . Disclaimers & Restrictions.$79.95 ∑ ‎In stock
Old 03-15-2021, 07:30 AM   #32
Guru

And if limited to the 33C cables, use the Teleflex Xtreme cables, as they're lower friction than the standard red ones. I've heard good things about the Glendinning cables as well.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #33
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
The green cablecraft cables are made for the aircraft industry. Harder to find but absolutely dependable
Old 03-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #34

City: Moss Landing, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
And if limited to the 33C cables, use the Teleflex Xtreme cables, as they're lower friction than the standard red ones. I've heard good things about the Glendinning cables as well.
Seconded. When my port gear shift started sticking badly I wanted it to be anything but the cable. People kept telling me that'd be expensive. I inspected all the bits, and found more than one potential problem. I adjusted and lubricated linkages. I swapped out the control heads (both of 'em, because the old ones, which were missing a few small parts, were no longer available but Teleflex sells prettier ones that were a direct replacement) but all that did was remove some ugly. I lubricated the cable as best I could, even forcing lube through with compressed air (and creating quite a mess in the process). When none of that helped, I finally faced reality and chose to replace the cable, myself.

Sizing the new cable was mostly a matter of reading the jacket on the old one, and then double-checking with a tape measure to be sure I hadn't read wrong or been lied to. Installing it meant pulling a bunch of things apart to get from under the helm on the fly bridge, down to the cabin overhead, through that and down to the engine bay, and across the engine bay to the port transmission.

That was work, but it was straightforward (I was, after all, just following the route of the existing cable). It took me the better part of a day. Knowing it would take time, I sprang for a Teleflex XTREME cable, which was only about a hundred bucks.

Turned out that this was one of the best things I've done for this boat. The port shifter was not just fixed, but now is now noticeably more fun to operate than the starboard, which still works fine. "Smooth as butter" seems to apply.

Along the way to that fix I entertained all kinds of ideas, including full electronic control, combining shift and throttle, etc. I am glad I didn't take that on - in hindsight it would have been a waste. With the original control design, now prettier and working so well, I am happy to be enjoying the boat more and spending my tinker-time on her other priorities.

My only regret is that knowing what I do now, I really wish I had run four Teleflex XTREME cables at the same time. It would not have been much more work, and still pretty cheap as boat things go. I may still go back and replace the others.
carpedatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #35

City: Morehead City, NC/Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Christina Marie
Vessel Model: TA Chiao 35 Trawler
I have those same shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaryAnn View Post
Thatís not why, The station of the cabin works easily no blisters itís the one on top that doesnít work properly I can tell the cable is not working right.

I want to put in duel shifters that have to gearshifting throttles on the same lever so itís easier to drive.
I have the same shifters , but just replaced them because I wanted a different morse shifter style. The 2 that I took off work great they, just have a little corrosion on the chrome. I will be glad to give them to you at no charge, if you need them for parts.

These shifters will work as you want them to work. All you have to do is to switch the cables so there is a throttle and gear cable on each quadrant. Then just switch the corresponding black and red handles. You have everything you need to make the transformation, but you might want new cables if yours are tight.
sascudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:31 AM   #36
FF
Guru

"I really wish I had run four Teleflex XTREME cables at the same time."

It is usually easy to run 2 new cables when replacing one.

EZ and quick to switch to the second cable should it be needed.

Great insurance , but seal both ends of the spare cable , it may be a decade or two before its needed.

Tags
34 californian, gearshift, traw, twin diesel