Which new engine to replace Ford Lehman 120?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I maybe missed it what brand and year of boat are we speaking of? A good long lived brand may well benefit overall from a new warrantied low HP Cummins drop in. A clunker may not, thus keep milking the existing tired engines along until a newer vessel shows up.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread.

My friend has decided to have the current FL 120 engines remanufactured by Harbor Marine, Everett, WA.

Reasons include, low compression on three cyls, the oil leaks, need to rebuild one transmission (not a Velvet Drive) possible leaking head gasket.

Benefits, One yard does the removal and re-installation, and the re-manufacture with all new accessories (water pump /circ pump, hoses, fuel pump, heat exchangers, etc.) A warranty on the engines. Not betting the R & R labor $$ by doing a partial repair. Getting the job done and being able to use the boat next summer. Having like new engines and control of subsequent use. (Who knows what the POs did with the engines)

Drawback, Costs-a-lot.

FYI: A remanufactured FL 120 now costs $17,000 at Harbor Marine. The price has gone up a lot in the last few years.

Again, thanks to all who posted.

If that cost includes docking or haul/storage, extraction and install, its a very fair price.

Hi Larry,
I seem to rember just a few years ago they were $10000.
Harbor Marine is not the store it used to be. I used to go there almost as a knee jerk reaction but mostly go other places now.

psneeld,

R & R is estimated at $6k, the boat is already in an Everett yard, and the move and storage indoors is included in the $6k.

Nomad Willy,

That FL 120 price has been going up every year, but $17k does seem high. Harbor Marine has good prices on most stuff, but you have to compare prices all the time.

The job under discussion is not to buy already built engines but to rebuild the existing engines at a labor cost of $7.5k each plus parts used. So the final price will vary.

It seems like everything in the boat bis is getting very spendy.

Larry yes,
I even go down to Fisheries Supply in Seattle now.
But even there I could'nt find the exhaust hose I wanted.
Wound up going to the web (Johnstone Supply) way over on the right coast. Got prompt service and good price but had to buy more hose than I wanted .... will be the subject of an upcomming thread.

With such a high price on the HM FL rebuild I'm thinking one of the engines in Yukon's lineup will probably be a better bet. They have Isuzu, Mitsubishi and I think Iveco. Maybe others.
They sell and cater to mostly to the Canadian and Alaskan fishing fleet. No pleasureboat hype or associated costs. If they ask you if you're a fisherman say yes. I did. These are the people that used to be Klassen Engines. They (Klassen) are still in the lower mainland BC near Vancouver.
There is a good chance one or more of their engines will match up the flywheel and other considerations and be fairly close to a shoe in installation.
They are under the "Hatton Marine" roof at 4738 Shilshole ave Seattle (Ballard).
Call 206 784 0148 Dave or Jim.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom