New engine install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look me up. Heading to Bahamas in a couple of Months and plan to hang out there for 3-4 months.

I see you live in New Orleans I am in Slidell soon as you get off 5 mile bridge Subdivision called Lakeshore Estates maybe next time you this way you can call me and drop by I am very new to this and could use some help figuring out how to move forward my number is
985 768 6019 IMG_1721.jpg

I see you live in New Orleans I am in Slidell soon as you get off 5 mile bridge Subdivision called Lakeshore Estates maybe next time you this way you can call me and drop by I am very new to this and could use some help figuring out how to move forward my number is
985 768 6019View attachment 82191

Ahhhhh! Just was back three weeks ago for a funeral and coulda dropped in. Would be more than happy to pitch in. Now I’m over in Canaveral getting ready to head to the Bahamas.
In the meantime, have you talked with Prieto in Slidell? Not far from you and are experts at getting an engine in or out of a boat.

Ahhhhh! Just was back three weeks ago for a funeral and coulda dropped in. Would be more than happy to pitch in. Now I’m over in Canaveral getting ready to head to the Bahamas.
In the meantime, have you talked with Prieto in Slidell? Not far from you and are experts at getting an engine in or out of a boat.

Thanks my neighbor drives F1 boats for Sheik of Dubai and he came up with great plan going to pull the trigger soon we grew up together he said he loves a challenge and is going to help as well would like to keep in touch so I can follow you my wife and her brothers and sisters have a condo in Atlantis we plan on cruising at least 2 to 3 months leaving after the 1st of the year her dad held 6 national champions in offshore powerboat racing maybe you recognize him lolIMG_0003.JPG

My buddy Al!! You married well into that family.
As my friend used to tell me ‘looks like you punted past your coverage’. Lol.
Post when you leave and I’ll figure how to catch up with ya.
Good luck with the engine install. We will be waiting with bated breath for news.

My buddy Al!! You married well into that family.
As my friend used to tell me ‘looks like you punted past your coverage’. Lol.
Post when you leave and I’ll figure how to catch up with ya.
Good luck with the engine install. We will be waiting with bated breath for news.

Yes I am married to his oldest daughter Bonnie our vessels name is Bonnie C’s get it I can’t wait wish we were in Cape with you we both Chefs when we do we will cook up some great dinners

Yes I am married to his oldest daughter Bonnie our vessels name is Bonnie C’s get it I can’t wait wish we were in Cape with you we both Chefs when we do we will cook up some great dinners

Did you get to see the pics of the install of the engine ?

Did you get the new engine installed?

Not yet on the pics. Regards to the chef. I’d be happy with some fried chicken and famous red beans!!!
My buddy that is talking about joining me in the Bahamas used to be Chef at Windsor Court and other fine dining establishments. He makes the best beanie weenies! Lol.

Not yet on the pics. Regards to the chef. I’d be happy with some fried chicken and famous red beans!!!
My buddy that is talking about joining me in the Bahamas used to be Chef at Windsor Court and other fine dining establishments. He makes the best beanie weenies! Lol.

We all gonna have to get together for some good eats we plan on bringing lots of Louisiana to the Bahamas lol

Here is how I did an engine swap in the water. 30 ton crane, a 24 foot house beam attached at the centre. Engine swivel mount at one end and a skid of interlock bricks at the other stabilized with a chain fall so we could tip the beam up and down. We walked the boat forward and back in the slip to slip the engine in the door then lowered it by raising the brick counterweight with the chainfall. Picked the old engine out and then put the new one from Tony Athens in after swapping the transmission over. 3 hours for the crane and operator and 8 hours for one mechanic and 4 hours for another. Started at 8 am and was turning and burning at 4 pm. most of the time was reattaching the alternator, aftercooler etc. we had to remove to get it out the door.

View attachment 82161

View attachment 82162

View attachment 82163

Here’s how I did it figured it out built a bridge out of 4x4’s 28 inches wide 12 foot long the last 4 ft 20 inches so it could go through the door inside built A Frame fwd & aft of engine room hatch with 6 inch I Beam from AFrame to Aframe on bottom of beam had a push trolly on bottom of that come a long electric winch in front & one on back of engine pulling engine in with the one on front & holding engine back with the one on back letting it out slowly as fro t one pulling it in as engine cleared door hooked come a long to top of engine freeing it from the bridge pulled bridge out of boat and let it down into engine room took beam and A-frames out today going to hook it up next week hopefully it will be running soon here is a few pics IMG_1997.jpgIMG_1993.jpgIMG_1992.jpgIMG_1967.jpgIMG_1973.jpgIMG_1970.jpgIMG_1975.jpgIMG_1978.jpgIMG_1980.jpg IMG_1994.jpg

Great Innovative approach and it obviously worked very well. Good luck with the hookups and it will be turning and burning on no time.

Congratulation on getting it in safely! Have you got it all back together and running? I have one engine in my DF-40 and it's not much fun getting around the engine room. Can't image how it is with two engines.

Love this! Reminds me of stuff my Dad would do and then later as a teenager I would do with my buddies: “Sure, we can remove a Chevy 350 with some 2X6’s and a come-along”.

Some serious ‘Yankee Ingenuity’

Greetings,
Mr. A. Y'all might best be careful who you're calling a Yankee...Might be Southern Know-how.

200.gif

True, however having grown up in NE and lived in the South for 15 years I often can skate by on a technicality. ;)

Congratulation on getting it in safely! Have you got it all back together and running? I have one engine in my DF-40 and it's not much fun getting around the engine room. Can't image how it is with two engines.

Actually I feel like I have plenty room moved the generator to the lazaret put macerator in front of starboard engine plenty storage in front of port battery banks under center floor I send pics after I get engine set waiting for water pumps and few more parts to come in get back to work on it

Love this! Reminds me of stuff my Dad would do and then later as a teenager I would do with my buddies: “Sure, we can remove a Chevy 350 with some 2X6’s and a come-along”.

Some serious ‘Yankee Ingenuity’

Well it was lot more than 2x6s there is 12’steel beam beam push roller two 2500lb winches 1 come a long lots of lumber & 4x4 bridge from dock to 4’inside the boat but I accomplished it while still in the water in back of my house off my dock I did get plenty of advise from my new friends on this forum so it’s getting done by me total cost of job including engine less than 1000,00 dollars and I have spare engine to boot lol now hunting water pumps sherry at trans Atlantic Diesel wants 300 apiece for them so looking at my options

What motor is in your DeFever and what year mine is a 1979 DownEast model if you have time I would like to see some pics of yours here’s a few of mine IMG_2398.jpgIMG_2401.jpgIMG_2393.jpgIMG_2364.jpgIMG_2361.jpgIMG_2373.jpgIMG_2349.jpgIMG_2371.jpgIMG_2356.jpgIMG_2391.jpg

What motor is in your DeFever and what year mine is a 1979 DownEast model if you have time I would like to see some pics of yours here’s a few of mine View attachment 87573View attachment 87574View attachment 87575View attachment 87576View attachment 87577View attachment 87578View attachment 87579View attachment 87580View attachment 87581View attachment 87582

I am in the middle of painting all topsides and finishing install of engine today should be running soon took 3 days cleaning bilges from front to back and it won’t be long I will send more pics as soon as I get it painted

Hi Harlguynola. Mine was the first DF40 and it belonged to James Monroe in New Port beach, Ca. He was the marketing fella for the DF40's. Yours is only second DF 40 I've seen. There's another one near Galveston that I've been on. The original engine in my single screw was a 117hp Fiat Iveco that was being marketed by Ford at the time. I think Perkins went into everything else after that. It seemed to be a fine engine, just couldn't find parts for it. So I installed a Cummins 6B5.9M. I can get parts for that engine anywhere. You are getting ready to paint your exterior? I need to do mine and would like to see how it goes on yours.

Hi Harlguynola. Mine was the first DF40 and it belonged to James Monroe in New Port beach, Ca. He was the marketing fella for the DF40's. Yours is only second DF 40 I've seen. There's another one near Galveston that I've been on. The original engine in my single screw was a 117hp Fiat Iveco that was being marketed by Ford at the time. I think Perkins went into everything else after that. It seemed to be a fine engine, just couldn't find parts for it. So I installed a Cummins 6B5.9M. I can get parts for that engine anywhere. You are getting ready to paint your exterior? I need to do mine and would like to see how it goes on yours.

Ok great I have fly bridge sanded primed sanded & primed again working on sides using awlgrip expensive and to stop I had to have triple bypass surgery 4 weeks ago today so at a stand still right now but it’s looking good

Triple bypass!!!! Holy smokes! Certainly explains why we haven't heard from you in awhile. Too much of that great Cajun cuisine you were telling me about? Joking of course, but that procedure is no joke. I hope you are getting your wind back and will soon be able to enjoy the boat again. Keep us posted on your personal progress and that of the boat.

Hello buddy

Was going through old thread, and was checking back in on your health...

Hope ALL is well

Hey Harlyguynola, great to hear from you again. I don't spend as much time looking in on this forum as I once did. I got an email message that you were back on. My DF 40 is mechanically sound and well fitted now and I am concentrating more on some of my car restorations and hot rod projects. Other than being a busted up old man, the health is good and still kickin'. Last we talked was nearly 4 years ago and you were recovering from a triple bypass. How's your recovery and are you still working on your DF 40?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom