New Engine Bolts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

Replacing the head gasket on my Lehman 120. Took off the manifold (only broke one bolt) to find all the bolt threads were nicely coated with Nickle Never seize (or something like it). I'm guessing these are regular steel bolts and not stainless? I gave a couple of them the wire wheel treatment and they look like new. I'm thinking I'll clean them up and reuse them unless someone comes up with a good reason not to.

Any other tips from those of you who have done this operation would be appreciated! Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
No reason not to reuse them, even the head bolts are reusable.

The manifold bolts may be a fairly common size so finding them cheap might be possible...head bolts not so much as American Diesel wanted something like $20-$50 per bolt. Can't remember exactly but I was shocked.

They are most likely grade 5 carbon steel. Note that most torque tables will specify torque for a lightly lubricated bolt. I generally replace all bolts. If PO overtorqued them they may not have full strength and would be more susceptible to breaking. They are inexpensive so why chase pennies.

Hi All,

Replacing the head gasket on my Lehman 120. Took off the manifold (only broke one bolt) to find all the bolt threads were nicely coated with Nickle Never seize (or something like it). I'm guessing these are regular steel bolts and not stainless? I gave a couple of them the wire wheel treatment and they look like new. I'm thinking I'll clean them up and reuse them unless someone comes up with a good reason not to.

Any other tips from those of you who have done this operation would be appreciated! Thanks

Dave

If you replace them don't use stainless. As a generalization steel is stronger than stainless steel. And the torque specs you will be following are for a specific grade of steel.

You should be able to tell the type of bolt by the markings on the head. You can find charts online to decode the meaning from the markings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom