Need some advice...and I hope its not a stupid question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAT

Guru
Vessel Name
Just a Tinch
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44 MC
I am wondering if it is advisable and possible to put bromide tablets in the engine raw water filters...... We already use them in the A/C filters to keep the grunge down... But I am concerned about the advisability of running the bromide through the heat exchangers and my new stainless MESA wet manifolds and elbows...

I don't understand why the engine strainers would need the tablets. I used to use them in my A/C strainer too but that was because the water flow was almost continuous and that's when barnacles grow. My understanding is that barnaclles will not live in stagnant water as is in your engine stainer.

So, don't see the need for the engine.

-- Edited by Doc on Saturday 21st of May 2011 07:14:34 PM

-- Edited by Doc on Saturday 21st of May 2011 07:15:07 PM

Consider a fresh water flush system 4 your engines. It's easy to install and more effective than your solution.

JAT wrote:
I am wondering if it is advisable and possible to put bromide tablets in the engine raw water filters......
There's no need.* When you shut your engine off for*a few days you will will starve the organisms of oxygen and stop*growth.* That's why you don't see any growth*in engine cooling systems or*sal****er*supplied heads.

-- Edited by Larry M on Sunday 22nd of May 2011 09:37:04 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies!! The more I think about it...you all are definitely correct.... I've never had any real critters (barnacles)...in those strainers. As I recall now, the most I have ever had to do is clean them up occasionally...and wipe out the insides to keep them clear. Thanks again.....!

timjet.. I have thought of doing that...and have contemplated how to go about it. Do you have any particular suggestions? Have you installed them on your engines?? Thanks!!

-- Edited by JAT on Monday 30th of May 2011 09:02:21 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom